The Politics Thread | Page 748 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Before I forget, I note with interest Mr Gove's new definition of extremism.

That leaves some in his own party fucked given their words, including two of our jovial and dumb as fuck former Prime Ministers if you want to take the definition to its logical conclusion.

Just reading the new legislation which states “2: undermine, overturn or replace the UK’s system of liberal parliamentary democracy and democratic rights;” does that mean when Boris shut down Parliament in 2019 it was an extremist act by the new definition?

As for Michael Gove, I can’t put my finger on it, but I’m finding him a bit disturbing lately in his rhetoric. He seems to playing a very right wing, anti-Islam game for one reason or another. I don’t believe it is purely down to the genuine concern to the public from Islamist terrorists. Perhaps it’s playing up to the Tory right and Jewish vote.

Just reading the new legislation which states “2: undermine, overturn or replace the UK’s system of liberal parliamentary democracy and democratic rights;” does that mean when Boris shut down Parliament in 2019 it was an extremist act by the new definition?
Good point danvilla. It’s a good job we have a judiciary independent of political control and appointed by the crown, not politicians, that was able to see off Boris’ stunt.

Always a possibility with referendums.

They are in big trouble over their failure to deal with a housing crisis for more than a decade. They got elected when Ireland were in the shit after 2008 and turned things around impressively quickly but then failed to deal with anything since. They got a couple of big wins on same sex marriage and stuff like that but the latest referendum was pure wokery and the Irish public gave them both barrels.

It looks inevitable that Sinn Fein will be the next government. Who knows what that will bring but it's definitely not a safe pair of hands.

I see Mel Stride has proven himself to be an absolute fuck-womble with a lazy mental health 'pull your socks up' attitude that we thankfully got rid of years ago.

This poor bugger is going to absolutely flip his 0.5 IQ lid when it dawns on him science evolves and works out what it did not previously know.

Maybe not, hasn't he just said Hestor's comment about Diane Abbott had nothing to do with women, or being black - despite those being the two great characteristics he picked out?

Left-wing (twat) activist Owen Jones says he has cancelled his Labour membership and is urging voters to back Green or independent candidates instead.
The Guardian columnist has been a vocal critic of Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer.

Thought this mouthpiece hadn't been in the news for a while.

Newscast has reminded me.

Can wiser members of the forum tell me what this WASPI pensions shit is all about?

'We weren't told' - okay, were you listening? I knew about it as a teenager, how did you not know?

And why is your Chair bleating 'we don't agree with Gov spending' like it's some kind of justification to absolve the fact you lost money through equality with men and retirement ages should be bloody identical anyway! I don't agree with Gov spending, I can't refuse to pay Council Tax you womble.

I get equal pay, I get lots of equality stuff - but I genuinely don't get this?

It looks inevitable that Sinn Fein will be the next government. Who knows what that will bring but it's definitely not a safe pair of hands.

Thanks to proportional representation it's unlikely that the Shinners will be able to form a government on their own. They'll probably be the senior partner in a coalition.
Incidentally, SF and most of the other parties in the Dáil were in favour of the proposals in both recent referendums (held on the same day) and Mary Lou McDonald who might well be Taoiseach after the election has indicated she wants to rerun them with clearer wording.

Last edited:
Now, here is an interesting article from "The Economist" about immigration.

Britain is the best place in Europe to be an immigrant

Britain now has a larger share of foreign-born residents than America. One in six of its inhabitants began life in another country.
Angsty politicians gripe that Britain is letting in people from poor countries to do menial jobs, and weak students who want visas only so they can deliver pizzas. Multiculturalism has failed, they say: too many immigrants live parallel lives in segregated neighbourhoods. Nonsense: Britain excels at getting foreigners up to speed economically, socially and culturally.

Left-wing (twat) activist Owen Jones says he has cancelled his Labour membership and is urging voters to back Green or independent candidates instead.
The Guardian columnist has been a vocal critic of Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer.

Thought this mouthpiece hadn't been in the news for a while.
Can't help himself can he? Craves his bit of attention. Your correct, he'd be a twat whatever wing he played on.

Now, here is an interesting article from "The Economist" about immigration.

Britain is the best place in Europe to be an immigrant

Britain now has a larger share of foreign-born residents than America. One in six of its inhabitants began life in another country.
Angsty politicians gripe that Britain is letting in people from poor countries to do menial jobs, and weak students who want visas only so they can deliver pizzas. Multiculturalism has failed, they say: too many immigrants live parallel lives in segregated neighbourhoods. Nonsense: Britain excels at getting foreigners up to speed economically, socially and culturally.

Well that article makes a mockery of the Tory party being racist, British people being xenophobes, the country has become more relaxed and welcoming since Brexit, and on and on it goes and paints an immigrant heaven. I would love to know who paid for that report.