The Politics Thread | Page 749 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

Thanks to proportional representation it's unlikely that the Shinners will be able to form a government on their own. They'll probably be the senior partner in a coalition.
Incidentally, SF and most of the other parties in the Dáil were in favour of the proposals in both recent referendums (held on the same day) and Mary Lou McDonald who might well be Taoiseach after the election has indicated she wants to rerun them with clearer wording.

How do you feel about that?

How do you feel about that?

I'm not sanguine about SF (I remember the 1980s) but am glad that PR is there to clip their wings a bit. It seems to me that a likely coalition could be the Shinners and Fianna Fail. Although much discredited (for many reasons) there are some good people in the latter party who have some experience of government. SF in the Republic has none. Fine Gael have been in power too long and need a spell in opposition.
Mary Lou as Taoiseach? I remain to be convinced. Her mouth is too often in motion before her brain even gets into gear.

Well that article makes a mockery of the Tory party being racist, British people being xenophobes, the country has become more relaxed and welcoming since Brexit, and on and on it goes and paints an immigrant heaven. I would love to know who paid for that report.

It does seem a little counter intuitive, doesn't it? However, it's in "The Economist" which is usually to be trusted. Furthermore, it reflects a little bit on my own experience of having lived in England for quite a few years. It's a nice country!
I thought the bit about Michelle O'Neill being born "abroad" was strange. Fermoy is not exactly on a par with Fiji!

Furthermore, it reflects a little bit on my own experience of having lived in England for quite a few years. It's a nice country!
On the whole, there will always be exceptions, I would agree with that. I think the anti immigrant stuff in the press is largely bought about because of the complete loss of control over who is coming into the country. If people think a system is fair they will back it. When the feeling is that it is being abused and that abusement is allowed to continue it's at that point people become annoyed.

Thanks to proportional representation it's unlikely that the Shinners will be able to form a government on their own. They'll probably be the senior partner in a coalition.
Incidentally, SF and most of the other parties in the Dáil were in favour of the proposals in both recent referendums (held on the same day) and Mary Lou McDonald who might well be Taoiseach after the election has indicated she wants to rerun them with clearer wording.

whats going on over there now, its turmoil., a few weeks back the gov were talking about the billions they were getting from the tech companies, now their talking, of going broke. the 2 main parties are absolutely useless, when i was over there my average pension rise was 2 euros an insult, the only alternative is the shinners, but, a great country been led by idiots, the irony of it is the prime minister as admitted he is not up it, and wants to make someone else prime minister to have more of the same, so to avoid an election,,,seanie

Left-wing (twat) activist Owen Jones says he has cancelled his Labour membership and is urging voters to back Green or independent candidates instead.
The Guardian columnist has been a vocal critic of Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer.

Thought this mouthpiece hadn't been in the news for a while.
He’s doing it so he can criticise the next government, the guy is a hack

whats going on over there now, its turmoil., a few weeks back the gov were talking about the billions they were getting from the tech companies, now their talking, of going broke. the 2 main parties are absolutely useless, when i was over there my average pension rise was 2 euros an insult, the only alternative is the shinners, but, a great country been led by idiots, the irony of it is the prime minister as admitted he is not up it, and wants to make someone else prime minister to have more of the same, so to avoid an election,,,seanie
Seanie, I don't recognise the Ireland you're talking about and I live here!
Ireland is better off than it's ever been. As you mentioned retirement pensions, my last (January 2024) increase was €12 a week - Mrs BBJ got a little less. The increase before that (January 2023) was also €12 a week.
Although the two other main parties (Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael) are rightly criticised for their many deficiencies, nonetheless one or other (and more recently both) of them has been in power during the last 20 or so years of unparalleled growth. Sinn Féin hasn't added sixpence to the increased level of wealth in Ireland.
Has Ireland got problems? Absolutely! Housing and healthcare are only the most obvious examples. Will Sinn Féin solve them? If they do, I'll be the first to take my hat off to them.

Can't help himself can he? Craves his bit of attention. Your correct, he'd be a twat whatever wing he played on.

When he started building his TV reputation he was really fair and balanced and I found myself agreeing more often than not, for the last few years though he's just become the typical rent a gob for effect.

This is Simon Harris who is likely to be Leo Varadkar's replacement as Taoiseach. He's 37 so will be the youngest person ever to hold the position. On the right of the picture is Helen McEntee, the current Minister for Justice. She looks like she's swallowed a wasp.

000 (2).JPG

Liz Truss on CNBC News 'clarifying' what she means by the deep state:

"It's deep, meaning a very long way down. We know it's there but obviously not exactly what it is because it's so deep. I mean really deep. But it's dangerous and working all the time to destabilise."

Baffles me to this day that someone developed the feelings and made a decision to actually have an affair with Mrs Truss.

He should’ve just bought a blow up doll and saved his marriage the hassle.

Baffles me to this day that someone developed the feelings and made a decision to actually have an affair with Mrs Truss.

He should’ve just bought a blow up doll and saved his marriage the hassle.
She does have a nice pair of tits, allegedly. 😁

National minimum wage rises next week to £11:44 and whilst I am all in favour of the lowest paid in society getting better rates of pay and a better standard of living I have to wonder why a party who have spent generations screwing the poor have done this?

I suppose those who survive on the lowest pay band also get benefits, give them an extra pound and hour on a 40 hour week allows you to reduce their benefits by £40 and the £40 they now get allows you to take .20p of the extra pound in income tax.

Winner Winner...

Liz Truss on CNBC News 'clarifying' what she means by the deep state:

"It's deep, meaning a very long way down. We know it's there but obviously not exactly what it is because it's so deep. I mean really deep. But it's dangerous and working all the time to destabilise."

confused . com