The players and managers speculation thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

The players and managers speculation thread

Sounds like it’s true and a done deal. Unfortunately. Would have preferred he went to the Championship.
Unfortunately it shows how far we are away financially.It is starting to look like we will need about 3 or 4 good loan players.

Unfortunately it shows how far we are away financially.It is starting to look like we will need about 3 or 4 good loan players.

Surely that’s been the case forever Chris. I doubt there’s been a point in history that we could match wages with a club like Pompey (except maybe when they were on their knees in the 80’s).

And Connor isn’t our player and hasn’t been for months. It’s only the last week we’ve all been dreaming he might sign with us again. So from that perspective, nothings changed. Maybe now SE knows the standing offer to Connor won’t be taken up, he can move on and make offers to other players.

I think we will definitely see a couple of signings, (probably loans) through the door this week.

It’s frustrating that Akinde has been turning down offers which the club are happy with. Maybe it involves a pay cut (he took a pay cut half his salary the other year to join us, another could affect his mortgage repayments etc) or a club too far away from here. I get that, but at the same time we could’ve had him off our wage bill by now and moving to replace him. Fingers crossed he gets a decent offer come in imminently. Who knows, with his wages freed up we’ll be able to do more than shop at the bargain aisle.

“Scouts were watching Maghoma on Saturday” - he’s staying then 😩

Fair enough re: Tutonda. I’ll cut him some slack after Saturday.

I believe if Akinde and Maghoma go, they’ll both be replaced with permanent transfers if we have the time.

It’s frustrating that Akinde has been turning down offers which the club are happy with. Maybe it involves a pay cut (he took a pay cut half his salary the other year to join us, another could affect his mortgage repayments etc) or a club too far away from here. I get that, but at the same time we could’ve had him off our wage bill by now and moving to replace him. Fingers crossed he gets a decent offer come in imminently. Who knows, with his wages freed up we’ll be able to do more than shop at the bargain aisle.

“Scouts were watching Maghoma on Saturday” - he’s staying then 😩

Fair enough re: Tutonda. I’ll cut him some slack after Saturday.

I believe if Akinde and Maghoma go, they’ll both be replaced with permanent transfers if we have the time.

Cant blame John Akinde if he’s turned down offers of much lower wages. I’d do exactly the same in his position.

As for Maghoma. I think SE could have put a better spin on his comments - “I think some L2 managers might think he could do a job for them. I doubt I’ll get many L1 managers calling me”.

For all the spin and positivity SE puts on most things, I’d have thought he’d be better off talking up these players as much as he can, wether it works or not.

As for replacing players if we have time. I think the transfer window goes on for a week or 2 after the season starts doesn’t it? I think a lot of clubs are putting off signings to the last minute. Every weeks wages saved all helps. Especially high wages like Akinde’s.

Cant blame John Akinde if he’s turned down offers of much lower wages. I’d do exactly the same in his position.

As for Maghoma. I think SE could have put a better spin on his comments - “I think some L2 managers might think he could do a job for them. I doubt I’ll get many L1 managers calling me”.

For all the spin and positivity SE puts on most things, I’d have thought he’d be better off talking up these players as much as he can, wether it works or not.

As for replacing players if we have time. I think the transfer window goes on for a week or 2 after the season starts doesn’t it? I think a lot of clubs are putting off signings to the last minute. Every weeks wages saved all helps. Especially high wages like Akinde’s.
I understand that, but at the same time you also face rummaging around with the left-overs and paying more as deadline day looms. There’s also the fact that you’re picking up a player who has to gel with the players around him, and may not have been training with anyone (not all players will get it good like Ogilvie did).

We don’t know either way whether Akinde’s offers involved worse pay or not, we’re just assuming that it’s likely.

Ogilvie is typical of any promising lower league player now: get developed by their club before leaving them for nothing at the end of their contract when they start getting offers a league above. Another year in Lge 1 on a longer contract and he’d have gone for good money rather than tribunal tosh. I’m not bothered that he’s gone to another League 1 club - they have players on their books who they’ve paid millions for.

Of course it doesn't really matter that much where Ogilvie goes.It is losing him that is the frustrating thing.Especially as he appeared to happy to sign for us with the right income. I can see that would be massively frustrating for Steve Evans especially as he appears to have left a opening for Connor.As it stands the defence and attack is not strong enough.I would love to see us get a few more of our own players. But loans make more sense every day.They are and have been in full training for about a month.

Of course it doesn't really matter that much where Ogilvie goes.It is losing him that is the frustrating thing.Especially as he appeared to happy to sign for us with the right income. I can see that would be massively frustrating for Steve Evans especially as he appears to have left a opening for Connor.As it stands the defence and attack is not strong enough.I would love to see us get a few more of our own players. But loans make more sense every day.They are and have been in full training for about a month.
How do you know he would have been happy to re-sign for us for more money?

For Akinde it could also be a case of location. I seem to recall that when he joined SE mentioned family and planning for his future was huge for John.

He may not want to uproot, or be away from, his family.

It's a shame cause I look at him and think if we can get him fit and confident he'd be a good weapon.

How do you know he would have been happy to re-sign for us for more money?
The fact that he was clearly in with Evans enough to play match for us seems to indicate it is purely a financial decision if he goes to Portsmouth.
The only other reason would be if he believed that promotion with Portsmouth was far more likely or relegation more likely at Gills.

Good luck to Connor Ogilvie, who has signed for Portsmouth. I know that there was interest from Blackburn Rovers, but that didn`t materialise - Rovers are having some issues and I suspect that Adam Armstrong not going yet, and for a hefty fee to boot, may have held up some of the deals they were looking to make.
Oggy will be a sound addition to Portsmouth, though he would probably have done well in the Championship - maybe next season (but not at Pompey !)