The player who left thread | Page 359 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

To be perfectly honest . Jack will be going to the euro’s. No doubt whatsoever. It’s the twilight zone of international break going into premier league coming back. Naff all to report on so thIngs like this get stoked. I mean headline news yesterday was Alf-inge Haaland going to Spain . Zzzz

Anyway back to Super Jack , if Southgate leaves him out of the squad completely it will be the biggest travesty since Andy Gray was left out of the Scottish World Cup squad in 1978.
Let us not forget the exclusion of Gascoigne (Hoddle?). England managers are, and always have been, scared of players who don't fit the mould. They have all been empowered by Sir Alf Ramsey not recalling Jimmy Greaves in 66..... Think of all the flair players down the years who never got the chance for England. Marsh, Bowles, LeTissier just off the top of my head....

The number of overhit / misplaced passes by Kalvin Phillips was staggering not to mention the times he got pick pocketed by the polish midfield. Carthorse of a player.

96% pass completion rate v Poland. Actually thought he played well myself.

As for Jack, I think it's the media creating a storm and blowing hot air into the rumour mill and voila, they've got the reaction and clicks they desire.

Whether it's a 23 man squad (or larger), I'm pretty confident Jack will be included. For all of the criticisms Southgate gets, he isn't stupid. If nothing else he'll know it would lead to a media storm which won't help the camp in the lead up to the tournament. He made a big deal of getting the media onside for the last World Cup, he won't throw that away. I think too that although he might not use Jack every game for 90mins, he sees where his value and USP is to the squad.

To be fair I'm one of his biggest fans and I said the timing of his injury would mean he misses out on the Euros 3 days ago, before the media storm as you put it.

I think it's common sense. Southgate tried as hard as possible not to pick him,until the pressure got too much. Now we've won 3 out of 3 without him and Lingaard is in form for club and Country. You do the maths.

Phillips' problem is much like Mings for me....when they cock up there's no hiding it. But most of the good they do goes completely unnoticed because it's not flashy.

Phillips is a quiet carthorse and defensively I think he offers more than Nak and Luiz but that's probably because he can drop into centre half so easily, but our two have a slightly more rounded game even if they can't do that.

Given Nak's improvement I'd say overall they are about the same. Luiz has far more potential but not necessarily DM.

Getting back on topic, Jack will go but like others, I don't see him being a regular starter until he again gives Southgate no choice.

For me, Albania and Poland showed us all we needed to know about the favourites Mount, Foden etc - they are not bad players, don't get me wrong. But they ain't Jack.

To be fair I'm one of his biggest fans and I said the timing of his injury would mean he misses out on the Euros 3 days ago, before the media storm as you put it.

I think it's common sense. Southgate tried as hard as possible not to pick him,until the pressure got too much. Now we've won 3 out of 3 without him and Lingaard is in form for club and Country. You do the maths.

Me thinks you have a wooden spoon out for this and you don’t really believe it you little tinker.

He’s not missing out. He’s going. I’m more sure of it than I am those large lady photos were faked and I offered my mortgage on that .

Now the media has calmed down the talk is he is going and cold light of day reflection is England were same old and deep into tournaments playing as conservative and all in all as insipid as they did will not be good enough. They spent half hour talking about it on 5 live today.

And 3 out of 3 ?

San Marino, Albania and a Poland without the only player they have of note.

The maths is England were no great shakes against two absolutely dreadful teams and one bang average (at very best) team.

Jack will go, it’s whether he plays.

Southgate is intent on the two holding players, which to me is one holding player too many.

No reason why Jack and Mount can’t play more central but also mark defensively, leaving Foden on one wing and Sterling/Rashford on another. Or bring Foden in, and move Jack wide. So many good options, but it means dropping a holding player - and that’s before you have to bring Henderson back in because he plays in a team who wear red.

Jack's England situation should actually help us out, as he probably knows Southgate would love an excuse to drop him. He'll have to be at the top of his game from now until end of the season.

Yes, It could be a blessing in disguise. I feel sorry for him to see how much constant massive pressure he is always in to perform at his best. Frankly, the good thing is that he is one of those rare few who can deliver inspite of that.

That’s a top write up from the MOS chief sports editor.

Yes it is isn’t it.
So reactionary today in football. Now everyone has calmed down from the high of San Marino , Albania and Poland common sense is prevailing. Although Southgate is a strange one , with his leaving out of TAA. Another one leaving pundits and fans scratching their heads. I mean Trippier ?, Walker ?. Nah .

i see man city wont be looking to sign grealish for £100 million (there loss)
just like it was man utds loss for not paying the £80 millon and the biggest loss of all was spurs not wanting to pay £20 million
but what gets me is because he is a villa player and a brummy no one wants to pay the asking price but if he was spanish they would snap the hands off
and these last few week of him being out the team should add to his asking price because on his own he has taken a poor side that should have been relegated to a team that could or should make top 6
without grealish we have looked very much a team that would be in a relegation fight by now

Jack is not for sale so there is no asking price, he may have a valuation on computer games and stats sites but he isn't for sale so nobody is going to ever meet so fictitious asking price.
I'm struggling with which bit of he's not for sale some don't seem to grasp?

Well I hope Jack can break the mold and come out all guns blazing against Fulham. It usually takes him 4 or 5 games to get back up to speed after a lay-off.

He must be champing at the bit. He didn’t look fit for a few games before he broke down. Hopefully he’s had plenty of time to get to full fitness. A bit of ring rustiness is to be expected but just his presence on the pitch should give us a lift.
Oh! and with our no nonsense, ambitious and richer than a Black Forest gateau owners, Jack’s value is whatever they say it is. Who can afford him?

may as well leave it til the albion game now -
if he is anyway remotely ready to play again obv
(which would be a little longer than last time)

trouble is you can't rely on anything the club is putting out about it

Last edited: