The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

The single-use carrier bag charge will rise from 5p to 10p and be extended to all businesses in England from 21 May.
The government said all stores, including corner shops, will now have to apply the charge from that date.
The 5p levy on plastic bags was introduced in England in 2015. Since then their use has fallen by over 95%.

Still WAY too cheap. Should be 30-40p to put the stubborn people off

On Netflix - interesting if you're interested what the fish you eat are eating!!

I have seen this, some interesting and dangerous topics but I felt overall it was very one sided and just scaremongering.

The film didn’t have any balance in it. If we all move from eating fish to red meat, we’ll destroy the planet quicker. If we start digging up the algae from the sea to get the omega directly, that’ll become a huge industry and starve the fish.

Immediately after watching this I saw a programme about Canada and they were showing the ocean which was a complete contrast to seaspiracy.

Anyway, they fucked up the title - should’ve called it Conspirasea.

I saw something on this not long ago, a lady in Turkey I think it was exposed this. All that effort we go to in order to do the right thing and it’s just dumped in the same hole.

I suspect the reality is for it to really work, we need the investment locally in the U.K. to make sure the vast majority is recycled, as these contracts with Turkish companies to do the “recycling” is never going to work, they’re only interested in the cheque.

The thing is, it is all well and good us recycling, but there needs to be a demand for the recycled end product. So much is made from plastic, they could easily use all recycled plastic, I would imagine, but that would cost more than making new plastic.

Would take laws and a real will, sadly, from most governments we get all talk and very little properly thought out action.

Been the same with recycling for years. It will be too late one day soon I think.

The thing is, it is all well and good us recycling, but there needs to be a demand for the recycled end product. So much is made from plastic, they could easily use all recycled plastic, I would imagine, but that would cost more than making new plastic.

Would take laws and a real will, sadly, from most governments we get all talk and very little properly thought out action.

Been the same with recycling for years. It will be too late one day soon I think.

I guess the reality is you’d need to make it work is that you charge producers a tax for each bottle they sell, and give them a rebate for each bottle they produce from recycled material. The tax goes to subsidise the business who are willing to sift through the bins. Perhaps this stuff already happens in some, I’ve no idea. All I know is the company I work for are making as much as we can recyclable, which is great but if it’s not being recycled that’s a big shame.

Yeah, but also the focus on making building materials like the drainpipes, guttering, etc from recycling materials, and benches, tables and so on also. Has to be done on a mass scale.

I've put in a complaint to Costa about them refusing to put drinks in your own Costa cup and you have to pour it in yourself ffs from their cardboard cup 🙄

I noticed in Sainsbury the other day, their meat was being sold in 70% less plastic, packing. Strangely, can't find anything online to look at what they have done and boasting about this. Bit of an own goal.

Can only find this, which I've seen before: https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/making-a-difference/netzero/plastic

And an article on a big plastic reduction on their pancake day offerings!

All in all, without having the time to look too closely the other day, it looked very positive.