The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

The investment in technology is particularly important. If solar or wind can produce reliable electricity at a lower cost than coal, developing countries will switch for their new power plants.

If the West does nothing because nobody else is doing anything, nothing will happen.

What we do matters, because we are an example to others.
Sadly I dont think this country is now held up as an example. I think we are seen for what we are which is a small Island off mainland Europe.
Having said that I do think we should do everything we can because as I said it needs to be a global effort and everybody needs to play their part.
I do think this war will be a wake up call and hopefully force countries to look more closely at renewables but in the short term its a major setback.

Sadly I dont think this country is now held up as an example. I think we are seen for what we are which is a small Island off mainland Europe.
Having said that I do think we should do everything we can because as I said it needs to be a global effort and everybody needs to play their part.
I do think this war will be a wake up call and hopefully force countries to look more closely at renewables but in the short term its a major setback.

The problem is trying to get 3rd world countries plus Russia and China on board.

The problem is trying to get 3rd world countries plus Russia and China on board.

China is very much on board. They just haves issues to address that are unavoidable for now. Dragging their standard of living up to modern standards is not something we can deny them.

They are three years ahead of schedule in doing so, though, and from 2027 will start to reduce emissions.

Moreso that us, the US needs to set an example. Biden declared it an emergency the other day, and used funds set aside for dealing with catastrophes to help. The Republicans block every effort in congress.

China is very much on board. They just haves issues to address that are unavoidable for now. Dragging their standard of living up to modern standards is not something we can deny them.

They are three years ahead of schedule in doing so, though, and from 2027 will start to reduce emissions.

Moreso that us, the US needs to set an example. Biden declared it an emergency the other day, and used funds set aside for dealing with catastrophes to help. The Republicans block every effort in congress.

Do you really believe the Chinese?

If coal is the cheapest form of generating electricity for them they will continue to use it.

Do you really believe the Chinese?

If coal is the cheapest form of generating electricity for them they will continue to use it.

Yes, I believe them because they have invested billions into greener technologies and they have many cities that reach 40C regularly, making life hard.

They do far more than America does.

Last edited:
they've upped the approval of new coal fired capacity this year (and already accounted for more than half the new coal capacity for the entire world aiui).
Really makes little to no difference what we do unless the US,China & India act tbh.

https://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia...-63-gw-approved-in-the-first-quarter-of-2022/

(we should obviously keep working on tech which could help Hydrogen, Nuke etc)

If you look per capita, China still only emit 8 tonnes per person, the US 14.

Has he now declared fully it's an emergency- last I saw he stepped off doing that which I thought was a mistake.

A good start and oh lookie - not a blind tax, just an up front fee we all accept.

Single-use plastic bag use in England has fallen by 20% after a 10p charge was brought in last year, the government has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62350235

Another small step - now be more sensible on bags for life.

I think the majority of the public do play there part with recycling. Its the governments of this world and large corporations who need to take further action, instead of just talking and making idol noise

A good start and oh lookie - not a blind tax, just an up front fee we all accept.

Single-use plastic bag use in England has fallen by 20% after a 10p charge was brought in last year, the government has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62350235

Another small step - now be more sensible on bags for life.

20% I thought was awful. The message hasn't got through, or people just aren't arsed. I fear the latter for many.

And back to 1976. Hosepipe bans now being introduced in an effort to save water. Hampshire and IOW the first affecting 17million people. £1000 fine for anybody caught using one.
Back in 1976 they came out with all sorts of things like not flushing the toilet unless necessary. The saying was, If its gold just be bold, if its brown flush down. This is easy for an old bloke like me living on my own but I cant imagine if you are a family of 4 or more wanting to not flush it.
The biggest wasters of water is the water companies themselves giving out dividends to shareholders rather than spending the money fixing the leaks.

Isn't this just a further 20% after the massive reduction when the introduced the first charge? Those using them at this point aren't going to stop, one would suggest.

Yeah, just still nowhere near enough. Time is ticking! More plastic in the sea than fish forecast, etc. Which I know full well, you know, not preaching to the choir here!

Yeah, just still nowhere near enough. Time is ticking! More plastic in the sea than fish forecast, etc. Which I know full well, you know, not preaching to the choir here!

They do say we've gone down from 140 bags a year each, to 3. I think that deserves more praise really. It would be nice to be 0, but some people will never change, and some people just forget now and then, or make unplanned visits.

20% I thought was awful. The message hasn't got through, or people just aren't arsed. I fear the latter for many.

I'd read it as 20% purely since the date of the price change (no idea of the drop prior to that). Shops round here didn't really enforce it previously, but they started too last year.

I've read the article, I understand English, so I get what it is referring too!

I'm saying it isn't enough.

Go round any supermarket, it is jam packed with plastic, it should all be mostly sorted by now. No reason why - and some brands are showing it is possible, that all dishwasher/washing tablets can't be in boxes. No reason why all jam/condiments etc can't be in glass, no reason for things like croissants/rolls etc to be in plastic containers (I complained to Sainsbury not long back, 2 plastic packed from the bakery croissants were about £1 and if you bought the exact same croissants NOT put in plastic, they are around 80p each.

It is all too slow, it will all be too late, I'll be gone, so fine, but we are leaving one hell of a shit heap for the future generations.