The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

I would hold off on solar for now. We're not far away from some truly amazing technologies tat will make it cheaper and easier to install.

There is that Swansea university project, which is near production, and a friend of mine is trying to import solar cells that are on a roll. You just roll it out across your roof. Both are just thin sheets of plastic. This makes the fitting much easier.

Yes, think I saw something about that on the show you recommended, Click (?)

That was it, yes. It's a weird one, telling people not to get solar, but I do feel there is going to be a revolution in this area. I wasn't truly aware of how much energy that can actually be extracted from the Sun. It's massive.

We could cover roof tops, balconies and other structures in these cheap cells, and provide more than enough power.

I would have thought banning damaging materials would be a better way to go, but this is interesting, superworms!

https://www.independent.co.uk/clima...recycling-polystyrene-pollution-b2097559.html

I think we need to use everything at our disposal. Prevention is better than a cure, but if a cure doesn't come fast enough, we have to use science to help.

It's the same with carbon sequester schemes. Many greens are dead against them, but change is coming too slowly on CO2 reductions. All hands on deck!!

I have no idea. But this war in Ukraine. I imagine that's going to give is a massive dent in preventing ozone layers and co2 production? The weapons, tanks, vehicles, explosives etc etc. Especially if this war goes on for years. Sad really when we are all reusing the same Sainsbury's bag with holes in it and all the good work gets undone by some nutjob.

Ps. I have never never never understood why an adult would need to drink a drink through a straw. Pathetic.

This is quite interesting. There is a scientist working on Ocean Restoration where tons of iron dust is dumped into the ocean to fertilize it and cause an algie bloom. The science isn't locked in yet but there seems to be something in it.

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2...-change-russ-george-unilateral-geoengineering

Hmmm - 'entrepreneur' flytipping rather than scientist.
"US entrepreneur Russ George convinced a Haida Nation village to pursue iron fertilization to boost salmon populations, with the potential to sell carbon credits based on the amount of CO2 that would be sequestered in the ocean. News of the plan broke after project organizers had dumped around 100 tonnes of iron sulfate into the open ocean. In the years since, scientists have seen no evidence that the experiment worked"
https://www.nature.com/articles/545393a

Hmmm - 'entrepreneur' flytipping rather than scientist.
"US entrepreneur Russ George convinced a Haida Nation village to pursue iron fertilization to boost salmon populations, with the potential to sell carbon credits based on the amount of CO2 that would be sequestered in the ocean. News of the plan broke after project organizers had dumped around 100 tonnes of iron sulfate into the open ocean. In the years since, scientists have seen no evidence that the experiment worked"
https://www.nature.com/articles/545393a

That's the really interesting thing. There might be something in it. There might not be. The iron ore dust seems to cause an algie bloom. Whether that can slow/stop climate change isn't clear.

If we could get the 70% of the Earth's surface which is covered in water helping to fight climate change, we would be laughing.

The organisers of Britain's biggest ever survey of household plastic waste have called for immediate action to tackle what they say are "jaw-dropping" findings.
The Big Plastic Count was run across a week in May and its results show that the average participating household threw away 66 pieces of plastic in a week.
Using those figures the organisers, Greenpeace and Everyday Plastic, estimate that the UK throws out nearly 100 billion pieces of plastic a year.
The survey involved nearly 100,000 households meticulously documenting the type and amount of plastic they dispose of for seven days.
Its organisers say the results prove that recycling alone is not a solution for reducing how much plastic ends up as waste.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62126757

Erm...couple of things there chaps.

1 - Having spent so long GETTING people to recycle DON'T be fucking idiots and suggest it doesn't help.

2 - What kind of experts are you to assume ANYONE EVER THOUGHT recycling alone would solve the issue you soft in the head nutsacks of a cockwomble.

3 - Given we now pay more for recycling, get Council's to actually recycle instead of sending it abroad on the quiet.

4 - Oh and this is a biggie - brace yourselves. Get companies to stop using plastic where it's NOT needed.

5 - Can I have your overpaid jobs you utter children - what next, don't wank down a toilet to reduce semen in the waterways?

6 - I think the heat is getting to me, as Question Time isn't on.

The organisers of Britain's biggest ever survey of household plastic waste have called for immediate action to tackle what they say are "jaw-dropping" findings.
The Big Plastic Count was run across a week in May and its results show that the average participating household threw away 66 pieces of plastic in a week.
Using those figures the organisers, Greenpeace and Everyday Plastic, estimate that the UK throws out nearly 100 billion pieces of plastic a year.
The survey involved nearly 100,000 households meticulously documenting the type and amount of plastic they dispose of for seven days.
Its organisers say the results prove that recycling alone is not a solution for reducing how much plastic ends up as waste.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62126757

Erm...couple of things there chaps.

1 - Having spent so long GETTING people to recycle DON'T be fucking idiots and suggest it doesn't help.

2 - What kind of experts are you to assume ANYONE EVER THOUGHT recycling alone would solve the issue you soft in the head nutsacks of a cockwomble.

3 - Given we now pay more for recycling, get Council's to actually recycle instead of sending it abroad on the quiet.

4 - Oh and this is a biggie - brace yourselves. Get companies to stop using plastic where it's NOT needed.

5 - Can I have your overpaid jobs you utter children - what next, don't wank down a toilet to reduce semen in the waterways?

6 - I think the heat is getting to me, as Question Time isn't on.
Err 6.21am. I thought somebody had hacked @mike_field account, then I noticed cockwomble in the post and it confirmed it was him.
Trouble sleeping mike?

The reality is that even if we were 100% carbon neutral, if we all were driving EVs and doing everything we can in this country it would not have stopped the heatwave. This heatwave started in North Africa before moving through Spain and France before reaching us.
This is a global problem that is almost impossible to resolve. There are so many counties that are totally dependent on coal. There are so many counties that depend on coal for the economy.
There are counties such as Germany, Austria and others who are preparing their coal fired power stations in reddiness because they fear the Russians are about to cut off the supply of oil. I think if you asked people what do you want to do this winter have no power, sit in the dark and cold and have no means to cook or we can burn coal I am pretty sure I know what the answer would be.
We have to better prepare ourselves for what is coming, we have Victorian infrastructure that cannot cope.
We are so busy making our homes more insulated against the cold we now have to think about what we can do to keep them cooler in the extreme heat.

The reality is that even if we were 100% carbon neutral, if we all were driving EVs and doing everything we can in this country it would not have stopped the heatwave. This heatwave started in North Africa before moving through Spain and France before reaching us.
This is a global problem that is almost impossible to resolve. There are so many counties that are totally dependent on coal. There are so many counties that depend on coal for the economy.
There are counties such as Germany, Austria and others who are preparing their coal fired power stations in reddiness because they fear the Russians are about to cut off the supply of oil. I think if you asked people what do you want to do this winter have no power, sit in the dark and cold and have no means to cook or we can burn coal I am pretty sure I know what the answer would be.
We have to better prepare ourselves for what is coming, we have Victorian infrastructure that cannot cope.
We are so busy making our homes more insulated against the cold we now have to think about what we can do to keep them cooler in the extreme heat.

Spot on in that there is nothing we could have done to stop it. Like you said it was heat generated elsewhere that was carried by the jetstream.