The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

The Plastic Crisis/Environment Thread

Yes, we have an offshore one, and it actually looks great. They're going to double it, I think I read.

I wonder if people had the same reaction when windmills were first built, all those years ago?

As I write this, I remember my home is called Mill Cottage because it's on the site of one of those mills.
And thats another problem Heath. I think they are a blight on the landscape in the same way I think electricity pylons are. I go to spend a few days on the coast and looking out to sea all I see are turbines. Having said that I understand the need for change. I have done everything I can within reason. I have solar panels, well insulated loft, cavity wall insulation, and yes I did need a new boiler when I moved into this house 5 years ago but I did'nt have much choice at the time. And my energy bills are just as high as ever. My net income is less than £14k and i do have some savings but not enough for me to do anything that will make much difference. I will never have enough money to buy an electric car but not sure how much longer I will be driving anyway.
Going back to my earlier post I was referring more to whats going on elsewhere in the world rather that what direction we should be going. I said after the cop26 in Glasgow they will all nod in agreement and applaud each other and then go away and do their own thing. And thats whats happened.

Yes, we have an offshore one, and it actually looks great. They're going to double it, I think I read.

I wonder if people had the same reaction when windmills were first built, all those years ago?

As I write this, I remember my home is called Mill Cottage because it's on the site of one of those mills.
Offshore fine, but way off shore.

I've seen those vertical windmills on the side of the motorway, and wouldn't mind one of these in my garden. They look quite hypnotic.
I can take you to a number of properties down here where at certain times in the day the turning blades of the turbine cast a "flashing" shadow completely across houses and gardens when the sun is in the correct position.
Planning didn't think this was an issue.
Unbelievable.

Just googled it.
It's called shadow flicker, and is recognized as an issue.
Seems some have to live with it though.
Tough luck would seem to be the attitude by some planners

A new law banning plastic packaging on most fruit and vegetables comes into effect in France from New Year's day.
Cucumbers, lemons and oranges are among the 30 varieties banned from being wrapped in plastic.
Larger packs as well as chopped or processed fruit will be exempt.
President Emmanuel Macron called the ban "a real revolution" and said it showed the country's commitment to phase out single use plastics by 2040.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59843697

When I go to the East coast I hate the sight of those offshore windmills out at sea. They have ruined the view forever.

Supermarket Morrisons is to scrap 'use by' dates on most of its milk in a move it says will stop millions of pints being poured down the sink.
The retailer will instead place 'best before' on 90% of its own-brand milk and encourage customers to use a sniff test to check quality.
Recycling charity Wrap said Morrisons was the first supermarket to make the move, which starts later this month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59928650

Without serious efforts to curb this pollution, the report warned that by 2040, plastic waste could amount to about 700 million tonnes, and by 2050, the weight of plastic could “far exceed” the weight of fish in every ocean on the planet.

“Our oceans truly are turning into a plastic soup,” the report warned, adding that polluting plastic was not just found in the deepest parts of the seas but also on the highest mountain peaks, human organs, and on remote uninhabited islands.

https://www.independent.co.uk/clima...nvironment-investigation-agency-b1995068.html

I always fear things like this will end up all talk, we can but hope that is wrong and the world goes for it, and tries to clean up this mess

The world is set to get a global treaty to tackle plastic pollution.
Nearly 200 countries have agreed to start negotiations on an international agreement to take action on the "plastic crisis".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60590515

It's all too slow, Fear. I still see massive amounts of plastic when I go shopping. I refuse to buy anything that contains massive amounts, even if they are amongst my favourites.

We have a little shop in town where you take your own containers and buy things like Rice, Paste, oats etc. It actually a lovely way to shop, with many friendly and environmentally aware people doing the same. You can choose how much you want, as well, rather than maybe being forced to buy packages that are too large.

It's all too slow, Fear. I still see massive amounts of plastic when I go shopping. I refuse to buy anything that contains massive amounts, even if they are amongst my favourites.

We have a little shop in town where you take your own containers and buy things like Rice, Paste, oats etc. It actually a lovely way to shop, with many friendly and environmentally aware people doing the same. You can choose how much you want, as well, rather than maybe being forced to buy packages that are too large.

Bought some Warburtans crumpets a few weeks back, the outer package was plastic, ok, but then when I opened them, they were in a plastic container/holder. I emailed them and said there was totally no need for the plastic inside. I got the standard 'thanks for the feedback, we take these things seriously' back. No change will follow, apart from me not buying their product, I suspect

Since the whole Russia/Ukraine thing started a lot of economists are talking about energy.

It's clear to most people now that politically and environmentally, we need to get rid of oil ASAP.

The issue is how we replace it. Experiments in nuclear fusion are all great but they won't give us anything right now.

Solar power seems difficult for the UK, with some estimates saying that 12% of available land would be needed for solar farms to power the nation.

Wind power is more productive but unreliable.

Nuclear is horrendously expensive and difficult politically.

Hopefully, some other Villans are better up on these things than I am.

Is there low hanging fruit here or any easy path to a fossil fuel free future for the UK?

Solar power seems difficult for the UK, with some estimates saying that 12% of available land would be needed for solar farms to power the nation.

Only surprise for me is that the gov aren't making solar more affordable for households, I'd gladly have solar at my place, but I'm not paying out for something that will take me 10 years to make back...I might have moved by then, or fallen off this mortal coil !

Only surprise for me is that the gov aren't making solar more affordable for households, I'd gladly have solar at my place, but I'm not paying out for something that will take me 10 years to make back...I might have moved by then, or fallen off this mortal coil !

I would hold off on solar for now. We're not far away from some truly amazing technologies tat will make it cheaper and easier to install.

There is that Swansea university project, which is near production, and a friend of mine is trying to import solar cells that are on a roll. You just roll it out across your roof. Both are just thin sheets of plastic. This makes the fitting much easier.