The Philippe Coutinho Thread | Page 37 | Vital Football

The Philippe Coutinho Thread

He's not a luxury as such, for the fee we have in place he's a great signing IMO, he's undeniably a quality player. The only observation is for some there's a 'thou shall not criticise Coutinho' maxim in play and Coutinho's short comings here are far too easily blamed on others. For instance I wonder why his performance yesterday is the fault of those around him yet Buendia comes on and does a lot better with the same players around him.

What I see with Coutinho so far is a player who on his day is top quality and almost unplayable but his day is like 1 every 4 or 5 matches maybe. Hopefully there's more to come, he arrived here having had a lot of inactivity and injuries, hopefully, if he does sign, he's a lot fitter and more consistent next season.

The opportunity to sign is simply one we cannot turn down at the end of the day.

He's not a luxury as such, for the fee we have in place he's a great signing IMO, he's undeniably a quality player. The only observation is for some there's a 'thou shall not criticise Coutinho' maxim in play and Coutinho's short comings here are far too easily blamed on others. For instance I wonder why his performance yesterday is the fault of those around him yet Buendia comes on and does a lot better with the same players around him.

What I see with Coutinho so far is a player who on his day is top quality and almost unplayable but his day is like 1 every 4 or 5 matches maybe. Hopefully there's more to come, he arrived here having had a lot of inactivity and injuries, hopefully, if he does sign, he's a lot fitter and more consistent next season.

The opportunity to sign is simply one we cannot turn down at the end of the day.

I'd like to see him sign, there are more positives than negatives of him doing so, but ultimately, I think he needs to play in a team that dominates possession, and we aren't that type of team.

I'd like to see him sign, there are more positives than negatives of him doing so, but ultimately, I think he needs to play in a team that dominates possession, and we aren't that type of team.

I think that will be Gerrard's aim , Brighton seem to manage it on a smaller budget. They play keep ball

Oh, don't be ridiculous. Go find me a post where anyone had said that PC is above criticism please.

Think you will find that my defence, and probably others defence, of PC yesterday is based on reading things like he was abject . (Was he fuck). And that Buendia is head and shoulders above PC as a player.

Both unbelievable comments in my humble and just completey untrue. The latter is just nonsense and confirmation bias and has nothing to do with me not rating Buendia either I would add.

Was PC great yesterday. No. Who was interms of those starting. Who has been great for months . No one. Other fans of clubs in and around us would piss their pants at some of the fickleness going on around PC at the moment. 5 weeks, I repeat 5 weeks since Leeds away and people saying what a privilege it is to watch him and what a signing to get in.

Oh and look what has happened as a team unit since then. No coincidence.

Oh, don't be ridiculous. Go find me a post where anyone had said that PC is above criticism please.

Think you will find that my defence, and probably others defence, of PC yesterday is based on reading things like he was abject . (Was he fuck). And that Buendia is head and shoulders above PC as a player.

Both unbelievable comments in my humble and just completey untrue. The latter is just nonsense and confirmation bias and has nothing to do with me not rating Buendia either I would add.

Was PC great yesterday. No. Who was interms of those starting. Who has been great for months . No one. Other fans of clubs in and around us would piss their pants at some of the fickleness going on around PC at the moment. 5 weeks, I repeat 5 weeks since Leeds away and people saying what a privilege it is to watch him and what a signing to get in.

Oh and look what has happened as a team unit since then. No coincidence.
This is, to quote the philosopher Steve Bruce, very "hysterical".

I thought Ramsay and McGinn were head and shoulders above PC yesterday. I do wonder if he is still carrying an injury. He has a very unique gait. Ramsay I like the way he gets the ball and drives forward , rarely takes the easy option. McGinn was back to his old self with some crunching tackles.

I thought Ramsay and McGinn were head and shoulders above PC yesterday. I do wonder if he is still carrying an injury. He has a very unique gait. Ramsay I like the way he gets the ball and drives forward , rarely takes the easy option. McGinn was back to his old self with some crunching tackles.

I've said to my Lad several times this season Ramsey is the only player we have that has pace and drives at the opposition, yesterday I thought he'd made a better striker than Ollie as he has far more about hin and is 6 years younger.
Bst shut off now as this is the Coutinho thread

Coutinho has a tremendous touch and a vision of the game that some of our other players can’t appreciate. They miss opportunities to find the spaces that he’s opening up. He hasn’t quite maintained the standards he hit in the first few games but the class is obviously there.
That's the problem the rest can't read him , he seems to have a bit of understanding with Ramsey but the rest just admire him

I think it’s accepted on this site that Liverpool and Man City are by far the best two sides in the PL currently. I’ll therefore pose the question of whether PC would add value to either of those teams. I’d suggest that he would and would get more minutes than a certain JG.

Therefore it’s not a question of should we buy PC, it’s a question of who do we buy to play alongside him to bring the best out of him. When we’re on the front foot he’s a joy to watch, but he’s not going to add much when we’re under the cosh. We need to think bigger picture and where we want to be.

I think it’s accepted on this site that Liverpool and Man City are by far the best two sides in the PL currently. I’ll therefore pose the question of whether PC would add value to either of those teams. I’d suggest that he would and would get more minutes than a certain JG.

Therefore it’s not a question of should we buy PC, it’s a question of who do we buy to play alongside him to bring the best out of him. When we’re on the front foot he’s a joy to watch, but he’s not going to add much when we’re under the cosh. We need to think bigger picture and where we want to be.

Well put, Ramsey will be an excellent player because he already “gets it”. The likes of Watkins and McGinn are far from brain dead but they just don’t see it. Ramseys goals against Leeds are a brilliant example. He saw the passes coming before it they were played or at least believed in Coutinho’s ability and gave him the option.

He’s only been here for 14 games and he has 7 goal involvements. Even with his drop off in form he’s contributed much more to the team than others. He’s our 4th highest scored already and he’s joint 3rd for assists.

I will say while I agree he could do with a rest and coming off the bench. It’s also hard to make that argument when you have a player like him. As V57 said it’ll be easier to do that next season when he’s ours and he’s going nowhere.

My gut feel is we will end up signing him. Gerrard is the reason he came here and I think Gerrard will want him to stay and other signing will be built around him.

I've said to my Lad several times this season Ramsey is the only player we have that has pace and drives at the opposition, yesterday I thought he'd made a better striker than Ollie as he has far more about hin and is 6 years younger.
Bst shut off now as this is the Coutinho thread

we do seem to lack athletes. Not just pace, not just strength….but a combination of both.

Very good player but he’s not in the Ronaldo category, Ronaldo is a player who has demonstrably dragged teams to success almost on his own.