The Philippe Coutinho Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The Philippe Coutinho Thread

Must be difficult for these Brazilian players in England , the pull a dropping ball from the sky like they are on the beach and back flick it to their mate without looking, then they land in England where it's run run run tackle tackle get stuck in.

Must be totally alien to them , that's why they never seem to make it here , fans won't tolerate outrageous skill without workrate

There’s a lot of truth in this.

There’s a lot of players who generate quite contrasting opinions. We’ve seen it with Hourihane, Targett and have a few current players in that bracket. More often than not, I think the harsh reality is that those players need to be moved on or dropped if you want to progress.

Ollie for me is not good enough. Yet if you asked the next fan, he could be one of the first names on the team sheet.

For PC to work, we need one if not two forwards who are the next level of football brain and touch, with the assets Ollie does have. It’s probably a combination of the good of Ollie and Danny, rolled into one.

I don’t know how Emi2 fits in, as someone posted (JW?) in the other thread we do need to find a way for them to work. What I like about Emi2 is that he is now playing more one touch, pass and move football and involves Digne and Ramsey more, whereas PC is more get the ball, create space and either create a chance or pop a shot off.

Buying PC is like driving around in that Toyota MR2 with the Ferrari body kit back in the day, it looks great but isn’t a Ferrari. We need to then keep up the momentum up and bring in the players to bring out the best in PC.

I haven’t seen him play for a few years admittedly, but the Luiz Suarez I remember from his Liverpool days assuming he still has his speed and strength - as theres no questioning his winning mentality - is just what we need off PC.

Magnificent again tonight. He really is on another level.

A few were tonight saying he is the best player they've ever seen in a Villa shirt , and it's hard to argue against that.

Reading back through the thread with David O'Leary. Plenty of people liking this post as well. And a mere 5 weeks later.....

Hope we sign him, even if he’s having a bad game he can still pull off a moment of magic, a great pass or bit of skill etc and make something happen. He’s an exciting player and as paying fan surely we want guys like him who can entertain. I do have some concerns around his consistency and it seems like a lot has to be right to get the best out of him. I don’t think he’s a buy-at-any cost but hopefully an agreement can be reached which doesn’t hammer us financially as we need other signings too but it would be great to have him long term

If we don't sign Coutinho we will look small-time, so just for that reason alone, we need to sign him as a statement.. SG then doesn't have to start him every game as there is no fear of him going elsewhere

Why wouldn't you start him every game? He's by far and away the best player we have.

He was blowing out his arse second half, touch was miles off yesterday. He isn't above criticism, last 5 or 6 games bang average. But , he has that moment of magic in his locker so the dilemma is can we carry him or is he a luxury too far at this stage