The Philippe Coutinho Thread | Page 39 | Vital Football

The Philippe Coutinho Thread

Poor sod….a wage cut and having to come to terms with around £120,000 a week…really don’t know how these footballers cope in such tough times…:shake: The wages they get are just insane aren’t they!

Mad, isn't it? Most PL players could pay my mortgage off twice in a week and still have my annual salary in their back pocket. I'll get it paid off in just under 9 years if I'm lucky. Something not quite right about that.

Wages aside, it’s a joy to watch him play at VP.

A little harsh on Emi2 to have been dropped, but PC in the flesh is a different level versus pretty much any player I have seen in C&B in terms of what he can do.

When he popped the ball over Trent’s head, played a few one twos and nearly popped it into the top corner of the North Stand goal, that would’ve been a contender for goal of the season.

For a 5’7 ish player if that, he’s really good at using his body to bring the ball down even against much bigger players.

I did like how we set 9 players up in a formation to let him play, and float. He was attacking midfield linking up with the strikers, he was picking the ball up from the ball back at times and linking up the play wide.

We’ve all dreamt about a signing like this, it feels a bit like when Spurs signed Van Der Vaart when they finally got a top player and were able to move forward off the back of it. Everton tried it with James Rodriguez, so it doesn’t always work out but I would rather find out that Newcastle.

Last edited:
It was style over substance last night for me. Some lovely touches etc but limited impact on the game. He isn't looking all that confident to me and isn't actually looking as fit as he should be.

One passage of play in the second half perfectly summed him up. He breaks with the ball just past the half way line with a lovely bit of skill, gets into the box and treads on the ball and falls over under a pressure from VVD.

I do want more from him. He hasn't really shown his best since the Leeds game, that was quite a while ago now.

Wages I'm now getting less per month than I was for 4 days when I was contracting. Hard to believe but true I don't get enough to pay tax on now.

What I do get is to hear my little Grandsons say "come on Grandad" That makes me happy more than any amount of money ever could, Just perhaps Coutinho has found happiness on a mere 100k a week, just imagine that for a moment, just imagine being happy with less.

It's out there folks

It was style over substance last night for me. Some lovely touches etc but limited impact on the game. He isn't looking all that confident to me and isn't actually looking as fit as he should be.

One passage of play in the second half perfectly summed him up. He breaks with the ball just past the half way line with a lovely bit of skill, gets into the box and treads on the ball and falls over under a pressure from VVD.

I do want more from him. He hasn't really shown his best since the Leeds game, that was quite a while ago now.
You could be talking about any of our forward players including the arm-waving Argentine who was back at it last night

Thought he was very lively last night. Many good things and touches that may not have produced a goal or clear cut chance but nevertheless those things couldn't be done by anyone else we have in my humble. There is enough there, he has shown enough to justify signing him if the finances are correct.

Thought he was very lively last night. Many good things and touches that may not have produced a goal or clear cut chance but nevertheless those things couldn't be done by anyone else we have in my humble. There is enough there, he has shown enough to justify signing him if the finances are correct.

Agreed no one else could do that flick over his head on the touchline and the subsequent move . Once he gets a full pre season under his belt he will be even better as well.

The bloke is on a different level ability wise to anyone else in the squad, get better players around him (which it seems is the plan) and I think we'll see more of the good performances from him.
Buendia is better?? sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous

The bloke is on a different level ability wise to anyone else in the squad, get better players around him (which it seems is the plan) and I think we'll see more of the good performances from him.
Buendia is better?? sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous
Buendia is better on the bench the longer he is on it the better he gets .
He was getting some stick by us last night for waving his arms about moaning about his teammates whiles not tracking his man I can tell you and it wasnt me either.
Coutinho is brilliant and to think I didn't really want him when I heard about the deal.

Buendia is better on the bench the longer he is on it the better he gets .
He was getting some stick by us last night for waving his arms about moaning about his teammates whiles not tracking his man I can tell you and it wasnt me either.
Coutinho is brilliant and to think I didn't really want him when I heard about the deal.

Ah yes, I remember the incident where Buendia got beaten on the wing, turned to chase then just gave up. A couple of weeks back an injured Bailey did the same thing and got pelters from people for it
I dont think he's a bad player, but I just cant see this genius that others do.

We should sign him, I think he'll come back into some form, and I agree that he doesn't look completely fit.

For the money that's being talked about it's a complete no-brainer, and we want depth and competition in the side, Buendia (currently with how he's playing) and Coutinho would absolutely be two quality players offering competition, and that's how it should be.

Ah yes, I remember the incident where Buendia got beaten on the wing, turned to chase then just gave up. A couple of weeks back an injured Bailey did the same thing and got pelters from people for it
I dont think he's a bad player, but I just cant see this genius that others do.
Yep both incidents right in front of me , hence me remembering them

We should sign him, I think he'll come back into some form, and I agree that he doesn't look completely fit.

For the money that's being talked about it's a complete no-brainer, and we want depth and competition in the side, Buendia (currently with how he's playing) and Coutinho would absolutely be two quality players offering competition, and that's how it should be.

Id' sign him just for the kudos, I don't think he gets any fitter , hence him never seeming to play full games the last few season , but he's worth the admission money alone

I don't really think the question should be do we or do we not sign Coutinho, it's more should he be starting games over Buendia based on current form.

There could also be something in a permanent transfer here that is influencing the selection, but all I'm doing is speculating.

Last edited: