The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Swindon Town "for all your specious rivalry needs") | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Swindon Town "for all your specious rivalry needs")

Weren’t the issues afterwards? I don’t know what was said during the game but it sounds like another gutless performance. I personally wish he would fuck off. The lazy, workshy twat has outstayed his overpaid welcome.
Is it possible that Evans simply needs to provide proof of fitness to get offers. The only things now preventing a move is Akindie himself. Offers from non league could be forthcoming. I can see Gills taking what they can get.At least it could be enough to sign a free agent full back.The fact that Akindie is wanting to play is a positive paying him to not produce is hurting the club.If Gillingham need to pay a percentage of his salary for the rest of his contract that is a fact of life.

Last edited:
Is it possible that Evans simply needs to provide proof of fitness to get offers. The only things now preventing a move is Akindie himself. Offers from non league could be forthcoming. I can see Gills taking what they can get.At least it could be enough to sign a free agent full back.The fact that Akindie is wanting to play is a positive paying him to not produce is hurting the club.If Gillingham need to pay a percentage of his salary for the rest of his contract that is a fact of life.
Offers from non league may be forthcoming but Akinde will reject them. He’s evidently not wanted to play this season and has been gutless when he’s been stuck on the pitch. If he agrees a move anywhere then offload him, even if it means paying 50% of his salary still.

Offers from non league may be forthcoming but Akinde will reject them. He’s evidently not wanted to play this season and has been gutless when he’s been stuck on the pitch. If he agrees a move anywhere then offload him, even if it means paying 50% of his salary still.
I am afraid that is potentially the sort of pill we will need to swallow at best.Recovery of 50% to 70% is the best we will get .Evans is clearly trying... better that than payment of 100% for nothing.

Last edited:
I’d love to know what’s going on with Akinde.

Why would a player in the last year of their contract effectively down tools?

I’d love to know what’s going on with Akinde.

Why would a player in the last year of their contract effectively down tools?
Could it simply be he is in a little pain and is worried about it affecting him going forward.
Just a idea perhaps his problem is something like Arthritis I started getting that in the 1980s it can sort of creep up on you .I have never had it confirmed as I don't have a problem with my Knees,Elbows and Hips.It is fingers toes and back.
If it were a problem of that type then it could go under the radar. I am sure others have other problems that doctors don't or can't do much about. Pain is God's way of telling you something is wrong it is a blessing as without it we would not get things dealt with and could suffer worse as a result.
All I would ask is that with give Akindie the benefit of that doubt. He has had good games for us .I honestly think like a few others he wasn't a great signing by Evans for me he is league Two at best .Going out there and having no impact could simply be the biggest problem.Maybe he is simply not good enough and losing what little he had to get him to this level .Reggie Lamb is a similar age. Perhaps not that much difference in quality he now plays for Stowmarket. Akindie might be on his way down big time and it is harder to motivate yourself .Perhaps he simply can't do the job to the level you once did.

Last season John Akindie scored seven goals but five of those seven were against relegated teams three against Rochdale over two games.Then two against Bristol Rovers so although he played a fairly full part last season he had very little impact against teams currently at our level. That I am afraid tells a story. If he can't except he is simply not good enough and blames others that could be a his real problem.
Managers make errors for Lincoln in defence of Evans he didn't have the same problem. Looking back at Cody suddenly almost he simply wasn't good enough that one was probably mainly injury based .But Akindie could simply be well past his sell by date .The then Lincoln boss made the correct judgment on Akindie. Evans made a mistake simple as.But all managers make some of those errors.At Gillingham we simply don't have the budget for those errors.

Last edited:
I didn't go to the game, watch on TV or listen on the radio so can't comment on the game.

As for the Akinde incident I think Evans has to carry some of the blame. In various article he has mentioned akindes mystery injury that baffles medical science. Some people will join the dots and think he faking it.

I suspect akindes contract will be terminated by mutual consent in January to allow us to bring some loans in with the freed up wages.

I didn't go to the game, watch on TV or listen on the radio so can't comment on the game.

As for the Akinde incident I think Evans has to carry some of the blame. In various article he has mentioned akindes mystery injury that baffles medical science. Some people will join the dots and think he faking it.

I suspect akindes contract will be terminated by mutual consent in January to allow us to bring some loans in with the freed up wages.
What is the rules on non league transfer at present? Could he go on loan till January for example.If he agreed of course. Frankly I think last season he was league Two standard this season he is potentially lower than that .The wages we agreed are gone if we keep him .If he sits out the season I think most if not all National league teams will stear well clear.

Weren’t the issues afterwards? I don’t know what was said during the game but it sounds like another gutless performance. I personally wish he would fuck off. The lazy, workshy twat has outstayed his overpaid welcome.

But according to Scally and some of our supporters (who I daresay weren’t at the match yesterday), it’s people who pay a lot of money and travel half the length of the country who should stay away.

Last edited:
But according to Scally and some of our supporters (who I daresay weren’t at the match yesterday), it’s people who pay a lot of money and travel half the length of the country who should stay away.
If they try singing Scally Out when we’re attacking like in the first half at Burton and Charlton then maybe they should 👍

If Akinde got some abuse after the game then I won’t cry over it. He’s taking us for a ride.

We don't half have some morons in our fanbase at the moment.
Actually he was a disgrace i thought. He only worked once or twice when the ball was presented to him on a plate and then proceeded to show how tricky he is when he gets it !
He’s clearly unhappy about something and showed no effort unlike the rest of the team who battled like crazy ( particularly Lloyd and MacDonald who were unrelenting).
Great support from the fans and I have to say I left buzzing with pride because they wouldnt give up and i have some real hope that we can turn it soon into wins.
Roll on Tuesday
oh yeah and listened to Karl ‘ the twat ‘ Robinson on bbc radio Oxford afterwards. ‘ Should have been 3 or 4 ‘
’ they ‘ said in a derisory tone
’he’ referring to SE and wouldn't even refer to him by name.
His got some good players and has had a lot of financial assistance but they weren't great because we never allowed them to play their way.
He‘s under pressure already and i know which manager i’d rather have

It's been a while mate, did Pompey and West Ham at home in the space of a few days over Christmas/New Year 2020. A combination of Covid, band commitments and exile have kept me away since.
Ah, didn't realise you were an exile, you're exempt from any criticism of course. How far away from Priestfield are you? Also you've mentioned band commitments, I did go regularly to 'Blues at the Woodlands' in Gillingham before lockdown. They're now re-opening as 'The Riverside Rhythm Club' on October 13th at Medway College. Most of the bands are rock/blues bands and pretty heavy if anyone's interested. Is that the sort of music your band plays HerrLjunga?

I must admit that I only listened being an exile and was not aware of the lack of action by Akinde by the commentary.
I been frustrated when watching on Ifollow quite a few times with the obvious lack of effort.
We’ve seen him be absolutely unplayable and we’ve seen him shrug his shoulders.
If he can’t put the effort in, then I’d rather both Kelman and Sithole are picked in front of him.

Watching on I follow I thought Akinde did ok. He came on at a point in the game when Oxford were dominant and Sithole had run himself into the ground trying to shut down Oxford supply from the back.
When we hoofed the ball out of defence he did a job holding it up, taking a bit of heat off. He usually had 3 Oxford players around him. That's two who weren't bombing down the flanks causing us problems.
He even had a bit of a run on goal (which he buggered up).
Is he one of our best players - no
Has he done himself any favours - no
Does he deserve abuse - no
He's a Gills player in a Gills shirt doing a job keeping Gills in a game we could easily have lost.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't realise you were an exile, you're exempt from any criticism of course. How far away from Priestfield are you? Also you've mentioned band commitments, I did go regularly to 'Blues at the Woodlands' in Gillingham before lockdown. They're now re-opening as 'The Riverside Rhythm Club' on October 13th at Medway College. Most of the bands are rock/blues bands and pretty heavy if anyone's interested. Is that the sort of music your band plays HerrLjunga?

I'm in a village near Corby, Northamptonshire, two hours or so from the Motherland. I used to go back to Kent a lot more often, but most of my mates have moved elsewhere and my parents moved to Cromer, so there's no real pull now except the Gills (oh and my in-laws...)

As for our sort of music, we play extremely heavy metal, thrash heading towards death metal with screamed/growled vocals and songs going past 200 bpm. 🤘

I do like heavy guitar music but with a bit of rhythm; AC/DC, early Fleetwood Mac, Free, Biffy Clyro, Hendrix etc. I suppose not heavy enough for you, what's your band called?

As for our sort of music, we play extremely heavy metal, thrash heading towards death metal with screamed/growled vocals and songs going past 200 bpm. 🤘

My sons at the 02 tonight watching a band like that. I don't remember their name but am guessing you will have heard of them.

Edit - bring me the horizon sound right ?

Watching on I follow I thought Akinde did ok. He came on at a point in the game when Oxford were dominant and Sithole had run himself into the ground trying to shut down Oxford supply from the back.
When we hoofed the ball out of defence he did a job holding it up, taking a bit of heat off. He usually had 3 Oxford players around him. That's two who weren't bombing down the flanks causing us problems.
He even had a bit of a run on goal (which he buggered up).
Is he one of our best players - no
Has he done himself any favours - no
Does he deserve abuse - no
He's a Gills player in a Gills shirt doing a job keeping Gills in a game we could easily have lost.

Agreed. A couple of nice touches, one good hold up at least, but mainly looked rusty and off the pace rather than lazy or not caring.

There's no easy answer to people who live, breath, eat and drink Gills, who commit considerable resources to following them, and yet who behave like obnoxious idiots. Respect them, ignore them, and drown them out with positive vibes. When there's open seating, sit far away from them and concentrate on the football. That's what I'd do.

Last edited:
I'm in a village near Corby, Northamptonshire, two hours or so from the Motherland. I used to go back to Kent a lot more often, but most of my mates have moved elsewhere and my parents moved to Cromer, so there's no real pull now except the Gills (oh and my in-laws...)

How about this for Heavy Nylon Thunder?