The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Swindon Town "for all your specious rivalry needs") | Vital Football

The Official Oxford United Match Thread (sponsored by Swindon Town "for all your specious rivalry needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Second game of the season for me and the little'un tomorrow, as Gills make the shortish trip to the City of Dreaming Spires, or more accurately, the three-sided stadium with a car park for a stand on the edge of a housing estate.

Looking at the stats, Oxford have become a bit of a bogey side for us in recent times. While we lead the overall head-to-head by 19 wins to 15, we've only won 3 of the last 16 meetings with the U's since November 2010 when Cody Mac scored the only goal of the game to give us our first win away from Priestfield in 18 months. None of our three wins since have come at the Kassam Stadium and our last five consecutive trips there have ended in defeat, with a couple of 3-0 gubbings in amongst them.

Gills go into the game on the back of a decent second-half performance in Tuesday's draw with Charlton, while Oxford haven't won a league game this month and are winless in their last three, with a 1-0 defeat at Cheltenham on Saturday leaving them four points above us in the table in 15th position. That is a gap that needs closing sharpish, we don't want to be cut adrift with the other also-rans such as Ipswich and Charlton...

Both sides are looking short on goals so far this season (after Big V with 3, our second top scorer is OGs) so I'm not expecting a goal-fest tomorrow, but it would be nice if Jamie Cumming didn't have to repeat his midweek heroics and managed to keep his first clean sheet in the league this season.

I'm adding a new feature that I lazily term "Match-Day Bingo", feel free to make your own bingo card to tick off the things that will inevitably happen tomorrow...
  1. Steve Evans and Karl Robinson to have a touchline slanging match
  2. Steve Evans and Karl Robinson to receive cards from the ref
  3. The away contingent to sing "We hate Swindon more than you"
  4. A massive cheer from all in attendance as a wayward shot slams into several cars where a stand should be
  5. John Akinde to earn a couple of hundred quid for delivering absolutely nothing
  6. Big V to win everything in the air
  7. (One just for me) Little'un to demand the loo/food/drink causing me to miss a vital element of the action
Safe journeys to all travelling tomorrow, I'm hoping to be part of a massive Kentish contingent that can pick up where the Rainham End left off on Tuesday to roar us on to a first away win of the season. If any of you are going and see a man who looks like me, it'll probably be me, so feel free to say hello, be nice to put a few (user)names to faces.

COYG!

Love it. I went to the Kassam stadium when we played them in a cup game in (I think) their second game after it opened. I’m sure iffy got the winner in extra time, but maybe not. I just don’t know anymore. I do remember their fans in the pub before the game drooling and constantly mentioning that “when we get to the premiership (sic) they are gonna build the 4th side of the ground”, wonder how that turned out.

Can us exiles/boycotters/cant be arseders/workers (delete as applicable) please have our own peter Lloyd bingo card Herrl?

I’m still umming and ahhing. Some decent pubs, particularly by the university, but a 35 minute bus journey to the stadium from town. The fear of pre-loading then that bus journey without a toilet having broken the seal before leaving Kent.

My train goes a funky way though.

73DEF30C-8834-47EA-ADE8-3D98B1B9EC9A.png

Can us exiles/boycotters/cant be arseders/workers (delete as applicable) please have our own peter Lloyd bingo card Herrl?

By all means mate.

1. Thud and blunder
  2. Six and two threes
  3. Gentleman's excuse me
  4. Dare one say
  5. A reference to irony that is in no way ironic
  6. They're not pulling up any trees
  7. (At 0-3 to the oppo) If we can just get one...
  8. Reference to "industrial" language from the Gills' dugout

By all means mate.

1. Thud and blunder
  2. Six and two threes
  3. Gentleman's excuse me
  4. Dare one say
And rest assured, I will play along and post the results. 👍

If you haven't left yet......
Bad traffic on M25 after J9, Leatherhead - adding 30 minutes
Consider going via Stoke d'Abenrnon then back on near Chertsey.

By all means mate.

1. Thud and blunder
  2. Six and two threes
  3. Gentleman's excuse me
  4. Dare one say
9. (Upon a sending off) not a massive advantage, teams are drilled to play with ten men in training these days

Second game of the season for me and the little'un tomorrow, as Gills make the shortish trip to the City of Dreaming Spires, or more accurately, the three-sided stadium with a car park for a stand on the edge of a housing estate.

Looking at the stats, Oxford have become a bit of a bogey side for us in recent times. While we lead the overall head-to-head by 19 wins to 15, we've only won 3 of the last 16 meetings with the U's since November 2010 when Cody Mac scored the only goal of the game to give us our first win away from Priestfield in 18 months. None of our three wins since have come at the Kassam Stadium and our last five consecutive trips there have ended in defeat, with a couple of 3-0 gubbings in amongst them.

Gills go into the game on the back of a decent second-half performance in Tuesday's draw with Charlton, while Oxford haven't won a league game this month and are winless in their last three, with a 1-0 defeat at Cheltenham on Saturday leaving them four points above us in the table in 15th position. That is a gap that needs closing sharpish, we don't want to be cut adrift with the other also-rans such as Ipswich and Charlton...

Both sides are looking short on goals so far this season (after Big V with 3, our second top scorer is OGs) so I'm not expecting a goal-fest tomorrow, but it would be nice if Jamie Cumming didn't have to repeat his midweek heroics and managed to keep his first clean sheet in the league this season.

I'm adding a new feature that I lazily term "Match-Day Bingo", feel free to make your own bingo card to tick off the things that will inevitably happen tomorrow...
  1. Steve Evans and Karl Robinson to have a touchline slanging match
  2. Steve Evans and Karl Robinson to receive cards from the ref
  3. The away contingent to sing "We hate Swindon more than you"
  4. A massive cheer from all in attendance as a wayward shot slams into several cars where a stand should be
  5. John Akinde to earn a couple of hundred quid for delivering absolutely nothing
  6. Big V to win everything in the air
  7. (One just for me) Little'un to demand the loo/food/drink causing me to miss a vital element of the action
Safe journeys to all travelling tomorrow, I'm hoping to be part of a massive Kentish contingent that can pick up where the Rainham End left off on Tuesday to roar us on to a first away win of the season. If any of you are going and see a man who looks like me, it'll probably be me, so feel free to say hello, be nice to put a few (user)names to faces.

COYG!

Number 3....tick