The Official John Terry Thread | Page 47 | Vital Football

The Official John Terry Thread

Not sure I can get hot under the collar re JT. Not for this anyway. Some of the past stuff like disabled bay parking I can.

He's Chelsea through and through, he's not our manager or even assistant. He was there as a pundit to talk about Chelsea.

Meh. We have bigger problems really.

Yup. And paid very handsomely for it no doubt.

Couldn't really care if he is out and about talking up Chelski, what I do care is about what impact he is having in training and looking from the outside and our results suggest he is doing poorly.

It was pretty obvious the way our players often looked lost under Bruce was that the training was crap. Probably the reason he loaned in or bought so many favourite oldies; they didn't need training, they knew what he wanted. The one area which was OK when Terry was here was defence; reckon that was down to Terry.

It's virtually impossible to determine how any individual coach is doing; even under Bruce you could only after 2 years make judgements how the coaching as a whole is going. We don't even know that Terry is the prime defensive coach; DS's other coaches have covered that area in the past. My guess is they coach as a team.

That's not very fair or balanced McParland.

When things were good, it was down to Terry. When things are bad, it's not JT.

I'm not saying it is JT, same as you, I have no idea of the set up but you'd think he would be playing a role in that, if not there would be no reason to have him.

It's difficult to not credit Bruce when the defence was more solid, to credit JT, but not blame him now he, arguably, has more influence.

Or I've misunderstood your point.

That's not very fair or balanced McParland.

When things were good, it was down to Terry. When things are bad, it's not JT.

I'm not saying it is JT, same as you, I have no idea of the set up but you'd think he would be playing a role in that, if not there would be no reason to have him.

It's difficult to not credit Bruce when the defence was more solid, to credit JT, but not blame him now he, arguably, has more influence.

Or I've misunderstood your point.

Mystified by this post, Fear. It's no secret that last season our defence was pretty solid, and a lot of people reckoned it was Terry's influence which made it so. Surely he's entitled to credit for that? After all, that's why we signed him as a player.

Nowhere have I implied it's not JT's fault if its bad. I've said when it comes to coaching, whether it's under Bruce or under DS, it's impossible to say which individual coach is responsible for what. We don't know, and it's probably a team effort anyway.

HOWEVER, I think that after DS and his coaches, including JT arrived, defence is one area which has improved. Sticking Axel in at centre back was a good move, having a RB at RB and LB at LB was also a good move. Notice how following the January window first Mings then Hause have slotted in, Elphick as well. When Hutton gets injured Elmo drops back with no problems. Seems to me a lot of good work has been done on the defence. Is it JT? Don't know and as I said it's a team effort anyway.

Bottom line. I don't things are bad, anyway. Disappointing, yes. But to me the negative hype combined with singling JT out as an example of useless coaching is sheer nonsense.

His use of “we” all the time was a bit irritating. Occasionally he said they, which was a bit more appropriate. Yes, I know he’s a Chelsea fan but he’s also a well paid professional at AVFC not a bloke off the street like me. Not particularly important but showing a slight lack of class towards the many thousand Villa fans.

Mystified by your mysticism McParland. :grinning:

JT credited for the good, not to blame for any of the bad? Our defence has been awful this season. I'd have thought he'd have had more influence BUT am certainly not singling him out as a sole culprit, the players and other coaches are also in this mess.

But I don't think it can be described as anything but a mess, the amount of goals we are shipping. I'm quite sure he's not impressed by it, or having his name attached to be fair.

Mystified by your mysticism McParland. :grinning:

JT credited for the good, not to blame for any of the bad? Our defence has been awful this season. I'd have thought he'd have had more influence BUT am certainly not singling him out as a sole culprit, the players and other coaches are also in this mess.

But I don't think it can be described as anything but a mess, the amount of goals we are shipping. I'm quite sure he's not impressed by it, or having his name attached to be fair.

I miss Mystic Mug.

The backline itself for me is not the issue it is the team as a whole and the limitations of some individuals has a knock on effect through the squad. My view is we've a massive problem in the engine room which ripples out and creates problems everywhere else on the pitch.

Our backline is much more composed but we're still shipping goals. Mings is actually leading, Kalinic is an improvement so we don't look all at sea when the ball is in the box. Thing is though when the ball isn't sticking up front because we're lacking quality in attacking positions, you have players who don't press or track back when it's lost (Kodjia or El Ghazi) and the slow duo in the middle (Whelan and Hourihane) is your screen in front of the defense you're up shits creek without a paddle.

In my opinion 80% of our problems lie at the heart of midfield - strangely enough the best I have seen them play was when it was just the two of them together (last weeks second half). That's the only puzzling thing about the team right now.

Last edited:
I see JT is being linked with the Middlesbrough job. Also linked with Jokanovic though so hopefully it is just more of the usual bullshit. He seems to be getting far more involved, chatting with Deano on the touchline over the last couple of months.

There seems strong rumours linking Lampard to the Chelsea job , and I reckon if he went there he would probably want to take JT with him.

He's 3rd fav for the Boro job behind Woodgate and Jokanovic.

Lampard is odds on for the Chelsea job, but do you think JT's ego would let him be Franks assistant?

It's one thing being assistant to an experienced manager to learn from. It's another to be assistant to a guy who only has 1 more years experience than yourself.