The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 525 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually say this was a top choice for where we were and what has been achieved in that time. I just hope the next guy is the one we can all get behind and is that next level.

The choice that the owners make is very important. I am tired of seeing managers being employed who fail to create a style of play which gives me no confidence going into games. Lord knows when we will finally get a managerial appointment right !

Shame, but the correct decision. If you look at the record for the whole of the year, the trend was sharply downward. There is always a hard luck story in there somewhere and the fact that we have had so many injuries has to be taken into account.

The whole of the backroom staff also needs to go. We have been running around the pitch like a group of kids in the playground in some of our recent games.

Deano was given ample opportunity to fine tune his tactical awareness, develop a playing style and identity and make steady progress. Failing to do any of those things I believe lead to his eventual demise.

Now for someone to take us to the next level.

I am expressing my own feelings and not taking the piss out of those who feel sad. I am happy that the owners have done the right thing. My reaction would have been the same regardless of who our manager was because he had 3 years to do what I feel he and every other manager should have done but failed to do. The owners have done what is best for the club. Thanks NSWE a lot. Hope the next one is a better choice and take us forward.
Not really arguing with today's decision but on the day Dean Smith was appointed you may as well have tied us to a tree and called us Sunderland. No one should forget that.

Very sad day, he's the one manager in recent times where I can say we well and truly wanted him to succeed even in dark days. Bruce, Eck, etc. none of them had a connection. We never saw any of them as anything other than a means to an end.

Dean was different, there was a genuine hope he could be our Fergie and it truly was a joy to have a manager that was a fan. There was always going to be anything better for YKW but for Dean if United wanted him or if Barca wanted him you know he'd say no.

The next manager will not be so lucky, once again we're back to a man who is a means to an end. Dean made quiet a few mistakes but more than anything else what cost him his job were some of the players he continued to blindly trust.

Last edited:
It really is a strange feeling of sadness and relief rolled into one. I wish him the very best in his next managerial role. There’s always the Norwich job Dean.

I think there’s an element of relief in that it can’t now get worse under Smith, and ultimately toxic meaning we as fans turn on one of our own who has done what was asked of him.

We’ve finished this employment on relatively good terms, and although Deano will be gutted as we all would be, in a few weeks he’ll look back on it and remember and be remembered for the good parts. It just goes down in history as being sacked for a “poor run of form” as opposed to “relegation”.

Close the thread Fear I cant bear it

DeepChiefColt-size_restricted.gif

Very sad day, he's the one manager in recent times where I can say we well and truly wanted him to succeed even in dark days. Bruce, Eck, etc. none of them had a connection. We never saw any of them as anything other than a means to an end.

Dean was different, there was a genuine hope he could be our Fergie and it truly was a joy to have a manager that was a fan. There was never going to be anything better for YKW, if United wanted him or if Barca wanted him you know he'd say no.

The next manager will not be so lucky, once again we're back to a man who is a means to an end. Dean made quiet a few mistakes but more than anything else what cost him his job were some of the players he continued to blindly trust.
Like the majority of Villans,l feel a sense of disappointment, even sadness,that Dean has gone. But, wont be a hypocrite,l believed that he deserved till Xmas as he had done what it said "on the tin". Jack or no Jack, he achieved an unlikely promotion, a Wembley final and kept a disjointed XI up. However, he didn't change his tactical masterplan to meet the challenges of the Premier league. Anwar and Trez out wide? Not for me. Crying out for a midfielder with bottle and nonsense,even to the end at Southampton. Matt Cash left isolated as Bailey went walkabout. The Wolves debacle as Targett is left exposed with no cover.For all that, great memories and good luck,Dean.

I've just watched the video the club posted about Deano 's time at the Villa and it literally gave me goosebumps. Genuinely saddened by his departure even though it was the right decision.
He deserves enormous credit for all he's done for the club and rekindled hope within the fanbase after some bleak years.
Yes we've all had a pop as things started slipping but he gets my utmost respect for making us fans believe again.
All the best for whatever the future holds for you Gaffer 👏👏👏

I really enjoyed Dean Smith's time at Villa Park. It was the first time since the days of MON that it felt like we were on the front foot again and things were finally looking up.

We had a Villa man in charge and a Villa man leading the team. They were really good times.

I wish him all the best. I'm sure he will get another job quickly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.