The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 238 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been managers in the past that I've grown to despise, such as Bruce. A lot of abusive comments are being thrown around about Smith but I personally don't think I can go there.

He's a lovely bloke and a red hot Villa fan, for those reasons alone I don't think I could conjure up much by way of personal insults.

I just think this is a classic case of a manager being out of his depth. Whilst recruitment has been a massive issue we are nevertheless seeing a manager who cannot motivate players sufficiently, gets very little intensity out of his players in terms of closing down and runs into space. Increasingly we are seeing more of a Lambert approach of negative football with the hope that we nick something.

To me he has produced a team with no identity, players who don't really know their roles and who will not run through brick walls for survival.

Since the restart we've drawn with teams we should draw with and lost to teams we should lose to. Going down was a very possible, likely scenario this season having finished 5th in the championship by a minor miracle last season and then losing half of the players who got us there.

Its depressing but there really is no point judging Smith for not winning games against top half of the table teams as if he is managing a group of players capable of such a feat. Sack Jesus for replacing Tuanzebe and Abraham with Engels and Wesley etc. But to moan at Smith for not getting a result against the likes of Chelsea and Wolves with a squad that includes Matt Targett as our most premier league experienced defender? Come on, get realistic. All of you pessimists claim to be realists, well wake up and smell the coffee. We have a shite squad, stop expecting results against far superior players.

Since the restart we've drawn with teams we should draw with and lost to teams we should lose to. Going down was a very possible, likely scenario this season having finished 5th in the championship by a minor miracle last season and then losing half of the players who got us there.

Its depressing but there really is no point judging Smith for not winning games against top half of the table teams as if he is managing a group of players capable of such a feat. Sack Jesus for replacing Tuanzebe and Abraham with Engels and Wesley etc. But to moan at Smith for not getting a result against the likes of Chelsea and Wolves with a squad that includes Matt Targett as our most premier league experienced defender? Come on, get realistic. All of you pessimists claim to be realists, well wake up and smell the coffee. We have a shite squad, stop expecting results against far superior players.
Please take this the right way but what a load of bull. What about the pathetic results against mediocre teams around us like Bournemouth and southampon , the piss poor in game management and professionalism that has seen us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The stubbornness of a manager who week after week played a system that was clearly not working. The refusal to strip the captaincy from party boy. Sorry but it's a mess.

Its depressing but there really is no point judging Smith for not winning games against top half of the table teams as if he is managing a group of players capable of such a feat. Sack Jesus for replacing Tuanzebe and Abraham with Engels and Wesley etc.

If the head coach doesn’t rate an incoming player he can say no or threaten to resign.
If the head coach doesn’t rate a bundle of incoming players he has to say no or threaten to resign.
If the head coach doesn’t know anything about the incoming players but accepts them anyway, he doesn’t deserve to be head coach. Dean gave the nod to all the players.
Hause, Konza, Mings, ElGhazi he’d had on a day to day to day basis. It would be absurd to think he had no say in Reina, Drinkwater, Samatta, Borja when by then his job depended on an improvement.
Smith is fully responsible but I agree, alongside Suso and possibly Purslow too.

It's interesting the feeling on here I watch the Villa View post match show on youtube and the two co hosts had a couple of villa supporters on and all four still backed Smith. Now judging on this forum I would have expected at least a couple to be Smith out.

If the head coach doesn’t rate an incoming player he can say no or threaten to resign.
If the head coach doesn’t rate a bundle of incoming players he has to say no or threaten to resign.
If the head coach doesn’t know anything about the incoming players but accepts them anyway, he doesn’t deserve to be head coach. Dean gave the nod to all the players.
Hause, Konza, Mings, ElGhazi he’d had on a day to day to day basis. It would be absurd to think he had no say in Reina, Drinkwater, Samatta, Borja when by then his job depended on an improvement.
Smith is fully responsible but I agree, alongside Suso and possibly Purslow too.

Do you know this is how football works? I don't, I have no idea how much say Smith has in signings and if he is happy to work under those conditions. He is our Head coach isn't he not manager, does that make a difference? I don't know.

Do you know this is how football works? I don't, I have no idea how much say Smith has in signings and if he is happy to work under those conditions. He is our Head coach isn't he not manager, does that make a difference? I don't know.
Yeah, Jesus Pritarch is paid to recruit players. Dean Smith says what positions he needs, Jesus sends scouts to find suitable replacements and signs them. Case study, Kodjia leaves, Samatta comes in.

Please take this the right way but what a load of bull. What about the pathetic results against mediocre teams around us like Bournemouth and southampon , the piss poor in game management and professionalism that has seen us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The stubbornness of a manager who week after week played a system that was clearly not working. The refusal to strip the captaincy from party boy. Sorry but it's a mess.

Spot on. So much was wrong about yesterday - Smith talking shop with Purslow before the game, Grealish hair nicely greased, laughing and smiling before the kick off, Targett playing his get of jail card within 10 minutes, Mings strolling around without a care in the world, the team looking clueless and unable to lay a glove on a very average looking Wolves team, our management team having absolutely no impact at the drinks breaks and half time, taking off a striker when we needed a goal, the half hearted last 15 minutes where the players had given up. This ship has sunk, Smith should walk if he is a true Villa fan - put the club first etc etc. Warnock got a victory out of a similar shambles at Boro yesterday surely it’s worth a last roll of the dice with someone that may make a short term impact.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-121108_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-121108_Chrome.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 19
There's been managers in the past that I've grown to despise, such as Bruce. A lot of abusive comments are being thrown around about Smith but I personally don't think I can go there.

He's a lovely bloke and a red hot Villa fan, for those reasons alone I don't think I could conjure up much by way of personal insults.

I just think this is a classic case of a manager being out of his depth. Whilst recruitment has been a massive issue we are nevertheless seeing a manager who cannot motivate players sufficiently, gets very little intensity out of his players in terms of closing down and runs into space. Increasingly we are seeing more of a Lambert approach of negative football with the hope that we nick something.

To me he has produced a team with no identity, players who don't really know their roles and who will not run through brick walls for survival.
:agree:

Was a roll of the dice that was worth taking 4 or more games ago, as before lockdown we were sleepwalking to relegation. Said at the time, give a dinosaur a good £ and a massive bonus for keeping us up, making it clear, it is a temporary role. These dinosaurs are a) decent at their job b) have a good ego, one of them would have taken it.

Bit late now, we've seemingly accepted relegation with a whimper but not without some pathetic whinging. 4 games in 11 days is actually 4 games in over 2 months, no way should these athletes not be capable of that, if they have looked after themselves properly. Big ask for at least one of them it seems though.
Agree. I posted before the restart that Jack pissing about at parties, ElGharzi giving interviews moaning about how worried he was re the virus, and Mings feeling he had to put his four penneth in re BLM and going on demos didnt bode well for the restart. And so it has proved. We look all over the place both mentally and phsyically.
I have yet to see any sign of any onfield fight from any of our lot and it looks more and more like us going down with a whimper once again.

I’d rather believe what Dean said happens at Villa. That he, Suso and Purslow made collective decisions, that they had a WhatsApp group and pre-season were in contact over players by the hour.

Except that we’d already got Elmo so is that a fair analysis? We didn’t get in an American...

I don't know but I can't believe we scouted a bloke playing in some tinpot Turkish team. Now It thinks Dean said he'd been to watch him, that must have been in the African cup game where he scored. I watched that game and I thought he was ordinary .

Funny how we don't feel sorry for Dean Smith losing his Dad but old Potato head was a hero for carrying on when his parents died, suppose he still has his Mom so that's ok? One got us promoted the other failed

Have we not got used to this by now? Since Sky came into football 30 years ago managers have been forced to do interviews, so they all have media training and say nothing of merit, insipid comments. Every manager we have had in the last 20 years has been criticised for their post match interviews. When we we learn? They are pointless and not worth getting wound up about.
Holloway, Redknapp, Klopp, Pearson, Mourinho - all tell the truth and pull no punches. Smith at the moment is a yes man who looks around and think how the F did I get here.

Funny how we don't feel sorry for Dean Smith losing his Dad but old Potato head was a hero for carrying on when his parents died, suppose he still has his Mom so that's ok? One got us promoted the other failed
Who are you including in the we??

Both Bruce and Smith had recent personal losses and difficult times. I have the utmost sympathy for both. You have to separate this with the job they did or are doing. Smith currently is way off - needs to walk

I dont get some saying its ok for us to go down and come straight back up if we keep this side together, they would get automatic promotion etc.
I think this team would get kicked all over the park.
It it cant show any balls when our Premier League spot is about to be taken from us I dont see how it follows we will come back up next season.
I dont see our overpaid prima donnas rolling their sleeves up and giving it a go away from home on a Tuesday night at Millwall, Preston, Wigan et al.
There arent any Alan Huttons in this team.

Who are you including in the we??

Both Bruce and Smith had recent personal losses and difficult times. I have the utmost sympathy for both. You have to separate this with the job they did or are doing. Smith currently is way off - needs to walk

I was speaking, in General, I remember when Bruce had lost the plot plenty on here were feeling sorry for him and we shouldn't treat him like that etc.
I don't think anyone has even mentioned Smiths dad

Status
Not open for further replies.