The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 236 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't hear that when he does his press conferences. I'm sure he's not alone at swearing at officials but I don't condone it.As far as I can see the only time he has got it wrong was in the press conference after Newcastle where he singled out the wrong player. Look I don't know if he is going to be a decent Villa manager or not, but I do know this squad is severely lacking in quality, and he is trying his best to sort it out. Just from a logical point of view sacking now with so few games to go is a massive risk, and who do you get in to a probably relegated side. How long a contract do you have to give that manager, and the cycle goes round again. Or you don't appoint a new manager you give Terry until the end of the season, do you think that would go any better? Personally I don't I am severely underwhelmed by Terry's influence as it is.
We all know where John Terry want's to be Wurz

I don't like the bloke, but that would be an appointment on the Houllier scale - if we actually backed him!

I'm not ness a huge fan myself but if we're stuck with the moneyball nonsense then there's not that many experienced managers with big/high expectation PL club experience mixed with multiple clubs in Spain & Italy - Rafa is likely as not as capable as anyone out there when it comes to knowing what it takes to make the grade in the PL and getting foreign players to that level.

Again, I wouldn't exactly be punching the air were we to get him but in the current context I think it would be a right result for us.

Last edited:
Because we haven't! We lost 13 players from the first team squad.They needed replacing we had to spend what actually was a very conservative amount. If we hadn't got promoted we would have still had to buy 13 replacements, only difference is they would have been free transfers! Fulham didn't, it's that simple.
Those Fulham players seemed good enough when they went up. Where are they now though?

We have tried all the managers that have been successful at other clubs, they failed here. Maybe we should go for one that's trying to prove something,rather than one that sees us as a nice pension pot.

I think there are only 2 or 3 clubs I can accept us getting compared to with respect to how we've been run - Newcastle, Sunderland and Leeds. They are the only clubs with similar levels of disastrous management. Sunderland is the closest and all that stood between us and them was Bruce. We probably used up our luck for the next century to get rid of Xia.

Its hard for me to view this season without the context of the last 10-12.
Coming to Netflix soon - Villa Til I Die ?

I honestly don't hear that when he does his press conferences. I'm sure he's not alone at swearing at officials but I don't condone it.As far as I can see the only time he has got it wrong was in the press conference after Newcastle where he singled out the wrong player. Look I don't know if he is going to be a decent Villa manager or not, but I do know this squad is severely lacking in quality, and he is trying his best to sort it out. Just from a logical point of view sacking now with so few games to go is a massive risk, and who do you get in to a probably relegated side. How long a contract do you have to give that manager, and the cycle goes round again. Or you don't appoint a new manager you give Terry until the end of the season, do you think that would go any better? Personally I don't I am severely underwhelmed by Terry's influence as it is.

Yes, too late now, agreed, unless you just put JT in charge but not sure much would be achieved, no idea if JT has much input already. Same as you, bit underwhelmed by him.

And yes, the cycle goes on and on, agreed, but that is down to always bringing in the wrong managers, not an exact science but a fair few of our appointments have been pretty small time and dour really.

When I look back on the euphoria of gaining promotion under Dean, the rush for season tickets, the financial backing he received, and being a thoroughly decent guy through and through, I am saddened and disheartened. I can’t imagine how he’s feeling this morning realising his dream job has all but gone along with our dreams of securing our first step on the PL ladder.
Back to square one for the great Aston Villa and the eternal question of what type of manager we can attract or afford or who is brave enough to risk a reputation taking on a rank average squad left by the predecessor.

I think most of the foreign players will go. Look at Trezeguet for example, crap but he’s already lined up a move back to Turkey if reports are to be believed. Last time we got relegated most players left, they all have their agents who will big up their PL experience.
This is true but I consider the likes of Trezeguet non-players anyway, he's truly appalling.

Yes, too late now, agreed, unless you just put JT in charge but not sure much would be achieved, no idea if JT has much input already. Same as you, bit underwhelmed by him.

And yes, the cycle goes on and on, agreed, but that is down to always bringing in the wrong managers, not an exact science but a fair few of our appointments have been pretty small time and dour really.
The only benefits I see to putting JT in charge is to firstly get Smith out of here, a manager no one is motivated by and then give JT a shot to see what he can do on the off chance he can actually get improvements out of us.

You may question the utility in putting an assistant manager in charge when that person has been a part of a failing team but sometimes the opposite happens, such as when O'Leary took the Leeds job on having served under Graham.

Because we haven't! We lost 13 players from the first team squad.They needed replacing we had to spend what actually was a very conservative amount. If we hadn't got promoted we would have still had to buy 13 replacements, only difference is they would have been free transfers! Fulham didn't, it's that simple.
Fulham - promoted spent all the riches on shyte and got relegated.

Villa - prompted spent all the riches on shyte and look a shoe in to get relegated.

To me that’s simple - villa are and will have done a Fulham

Fulham sacked their manager who I actually think is better than Smith. Villa are just sleepwalking into the championship with a whimper with a set up now looking like a busted flush. I would sack Smith and give Terry a go now as the last roll of the dice - having said that Purslow will want to pick the team and talk tactics before ko.

One thing is for sure all managers eventually get the sack, no matter how good they are they all have a shelf life and our next manager will be someone else failure or the search goes on for an up and coming one from the lower leagues.
I'm lead to believe the PL is the best league so all other leagues are lower.

So who does that leave, who plays the pretty football in the PL Sean Dyche, No Woy no, Bruce no, Moyes no, Pearson No, Farke yes, Howe Yes, Potter yes, Then we get onto the better managers now which ones will leave their current club for Villa
Nuno , nope
Mourinho nope
Wilder nope and he may be about to be found out.
Pep nope
Klopp nope
Frank nope, is he any good anyway?
Rogers nope
The Everton bloke
I've missed some as I can't even think who they are.

So we are now down to ex-managers of PL clubs ie failures Pelligrini Emery Marco Silva, Poch, are they what we are looking at. Yes they'll come if you pay them enough, they'll want 40m players on massive wages though

I really don't know where it ends

Got to say I'm a bit surprised at the angry responses to the game yesterday. It was a pretty decent performance against a very good team.

Team set up was good, substitutions were good, balance between attack and defence was good, tactically we looked hard to break down and we also asked a few questions of their defence.

What let us down was the lack of player quality. As much as I love Davis and his effort since the restart, he was creating problems for Wolves without being much of a goal threat. A top half striker up there instead of Samatta or Davis and we would have ended that first half 1 or 2 up.

Our keeper is shocking, the left backs which played were both terrible. Nakamba was bad. Hourihane is terrible. McGinn, although looking slightly fitter, is still wildly out of match fitness.

Theres not a bloody thing Dean Smith could have done differently yesterday to win that game. Calling for his head is bang out of order.

Status
Not open for further replies.