The Mbwana Samatta thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Mbwana Samatta thread

Davis is out (again). If that Basto lad is any good, he could start. Either that or play Drinky, Doug and Marv behind Super Jack. I don't know how that works tactically though. Flat 3? Doug in front?

Think Samatta already looks twice the player of Wesley after only 2 appearances.

Thought his 1st touch on Saturday was sublime. That one, where he too it and turned in one movement was soooo good. Shame he was offfside. Few other nice touches too.

Seems to get into better positions than Wes, leads the line really well and took his goal well too.

If there is any glimour of hope for the rest of the season, it's that if this guy stays fit and continues to improve, then once McGinn is back we are certainly stronger in the attacking third of the pitch.

I see he put a message out to his fans at home, who get hysterical every time a ball isn’t placed on his head.

I guess they’re the clueless types who we get here during a World Cup or euros, who actually think England are good.

I see he put a message out to his fans at home, who get hysterical every time a ball isn’t placed on his head.

I guess they’re the clueless types who we get here during a World Cup or euros, who actually think England are good.

And we'll all be feeling the same outrage when Jack finally gets his England call up and he isn't given the ball every 5 seconds.

And we'll all be feeling the same outrage when Jack finally gets his England call up and he isn't given the ball every 5 seconds.

I think one of the reasons he's not been called up is because he hogs the ball and he does that because he doesn't trust the player he is passing to not to lose it

Perhaps there’s some truth in that.

I actually think Jack will have a lot to learn playing with quality players around him, who all want to be the centre of attention. He won’t be carrying a team, but a cog in the machine. Taking 4-5 touches every time he gets the ball will slow the game down and take the chances away. It’s why he needs the experience sooner rather than later and not with the pressure at a major tournament if he does get the chance. Dele Alli was shocking in the World Cup making the formation work, not having that free role he was used to for spurs.

They probably assume he's the best player we have now and they might not be far off, Grealish aside.

I think we've got ourselves a bargain here. Looks pretty comfortable at this level and gave their centre backs a tough time. I know it was an own goal but bloody hell at least he's there pressuring the defender making him do something stupid.

I like him, his movement is good, he holds it up well, good one touch play with his back to goal, decent pace, very good leap as well. Just need to see his finishing a bit more, if he's competent in front of goal then we have a very decent player on our hands.

Already to me looks much, much better than Wesley and IMO had we got recruitment right in the summer in this position we'd be further up the table.

I like him, his movement is good, he holds it up well, good one touch play with his back to goal, decent pace, very good leap as well. Just need to see his finishing a bit more, if he's competent in front of goal then we have a very decent player on our hands.

Already to me looks much, much better than Wesley and IMO had we got recruitment right in the summer in this position we'd be further up the table.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts so to save me reposting.

The thing he does well for me, although he’s only 5’9-5’10 he’s strong on the ball and he’s smart with his body. He can bring people into play, and if it goes in the air he can at least make it awkward which gives a better chance of winning a second ball. Second balls are more important than the first at any level.

He’s got the brain to play at the top level, if we go down he’ll score 25-30 in the championship without breaking a sweat - let’s hope he doesn’t have a relegation release clause.

Someone commented earlier about lumping it upfield - I didn’t see much of that today, I saw lovely triangles being played between Samma, Jack and Luiz. Can’t keep chopping and changing, because next on the rotation list is Luiz and then the triangle is broken.

Looks good.

Not creating things for him though are we.

Same with Wesley.

Carry on like this with him and danger is he will drop. Strikers need to score.

Big improvement on the immobile lump Wesley for a goalscorer he held it up better too, looks like he wants to score and doesn't stand still waving his arms about in frustration, just get gets on with it . Seems more of a team player

If we knew about him in summer why did we not get him in then? We spent £22m on Wesley who in the games he's played has shown he was not worthy of that fee. In just 2 or 3 games Samatta looks so much better. Agree that ideally he needs someone up with him but Dean doesn't like to have too many strikers on the pitch. I was doubtful this guy would be any good but between him and Wesley there is no contest. Offload Wes in summer and recoup what we can of that £22m.

If we knew about him in summer why did we not get him in then? We spent £22m on Wesley who in the games he's played has shown he was not worthy of that fee. In just 2 or 3 games Samatta looks so much better. Agree that ideally he needs someone up with him but Dean doesn't like to have too many strikers on the pitch. I was doubtful this guy would be any good but between him and Wesley there is no contest. Offload Wes in summer and recoup what we can of that £22m.

We'll never get rid of Wesley mate I'm afraid.

Samatta looks a proper player - I'd focus on if/how we keep him if we go down tbh, he's too good for the Championship, that much is obvious already.

I said in a post (not sure if it as this thread) that Sammatta was pretty strong for a 5’9-5’10 player, apparently he’s 6ft which he doesn’t look from my vantage point.

Tanzanian guy at work reckoned he was as tall as Benteke, which I had to prove wrong but he’s taller than I thought.