The Mbwana Samatta thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Mbwana Samatta thread

Thought he looked hungry and sharp, gets into great positions & keeps centre halves busy. Good technique for the header and he's quicker than Wes - got to pair him with Davis or Jack, drop El G then bring in CH against teams outside the top 8.

I felt sorry for him on Saturday.
He put in the effort and got in good positions.
He scored a goal on his PL debut and he was gutted about the result.
I cannot believe that we have got to February and he is the first player to score a headed goal for us - we have height for corners and set pieces and it takes a 5'10" guy to score with a header.
They need to use the break to get our wingers(?) to get crosses into him and work out his best options.
From what I have seen so far he looks useful and perhaps a partnership with Baston could be formed.
Well done Mwbama and congrats on your first goal - let's hope it is the first of many

Yeah I think if we are going to keep going with this ridiculous three at the back and Hause, we've got to start playing Davis and Samatta up front. El Ghazi and Trezeguet dont fit into this formation.

Just to discuss further the two up front, I think both work very hard and are eager to press so it could work well for us from a defensive point of view as well.

Yeah I think if we are going to keep going with this ridiculous three at the back and Hause, we've got to start playing Davis and Samatta up front. El Ghazi and Trezeguet dont fit into this formation.

Ridiculous 3 at the back?.

We have beaten Burnley, Watford and Leicester, drawn with Brighton and Leicester. Yes lost to Man city and Bournemouth in that time but would hardly describe it as ridiculous. Its served a purpose.

Truth is though we need to be able to adapt into changing the system to suit the game.

Our midfield is tissue thin most games, so two strikers (especially one a non-goal scoring striker in Davis) is a luxury we can't afford. 3-5-2. Jack and Samatta up front and three CMs to take the pressure off Nakamba and Luiz, who clearly can't handle it (yet).

We have beaten Burnley, Watford and Leicester, drawn with Brighton and Leicester. Yes lost to Man city and Bournemouth in that time but would hardly describe it as ridiculous. Its served a purpose.

Truth is though we need to be able to adapt into changing the system to suit the game.
We were the fifth highest scorers in the league with a 4-3-3 and hammered Norwich 5-1 away from home. I've said it before, we would have got the same results in those games you mentioned if we had a midfielder playing instead of Hause.

Agree with your final point there. We should be able to interchange from a 3 to a 4 mid game, Nakamba can drop into Hauses role in that scenario though.

We were the fifth highest scorers in the league with a 4-3-3 and hammered Norwich 5-1 away from home. I've said it before, we would have got the same results in those games you mentioned if we had a midfielder playing instead of Hause.

Maybe, but I think after the Watford away debacle we needed to tighten up and by all accounts the next game away at Burnley we looked alot more compact and not so open . We needed any kind of result in that game so was needs must. The formation then naturally dovetailed into the away leg against Leicester where we definitely needed to shut up shop. Cant blame Smith for sticking with this formation recently.

Maybe, but I think after the Watford away debacle we needed to tighten up and by all accounts the next game away at Burnley we looked alot more compact and not so open . We needed any kind of result in that game so was needs must. The formation then naturally dovetailed into the away leg against Leicester where we definitely needed to shut up shop. Cant blame Smith for sticking with this formation recently.
Ah no I dont blame him, I think hes limited for options with McGinn out and the patchy form of the rest of the midfielders, but I think we should be looking at returning to the 4-3-3 especially when McGinn returns, because we are a much more dangerous team and a lot more respectable statistically speaking and easier to watch.

If we do persist with wing backs then either Guilbert has to improve his crossing , or Elmo comes in as he is a very decent crosser of the ball.

I gave up getting excited when Freddie had a decent crossing opportunity Saturday , he just kept hitting the first man all the time.

If we do persist with wing backs then either Guilbert has to improve his crossing , or Elmo comes in as he is a very decent crosser of the ball.

I gave up getting excited when Freddie had a decent crossing opportunity Saturday , he just kept hitting the first man all the time.

Yes, it might be time for the old wise head of Elmo , Freddie is a bit gung ho and I never see him as anything special since the early part of the season

With wingbacks i would drop El Ghazi and Trez and play a midfield three of Nakamba Drinkwater and Grealish in AM, with Samatta and Davis up front.

Elmo makes a better all round WB and has proved a number of times he can stick a good ball in the box.

Trying to play 3-4-3 leaves us soooo weak through the middle.

With wingbacks i would drop El Ghazi and Trez and play a midfield three of Nakamba Drinkwater and Grealish in AM, with Samatta and Davis up front.

Elmo makes a better all round WB and has proved a number of times he can stick a good ball in the box.

Trying to play 3-4-3 leaves us soooo weak through the middle.

Yup. I wouldn't argue with that.

That would be the same way Sir Brian used that formation.

Last edited: