The Matt Targett Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

The Matt Targett Thread

He will but solid (and cheap) signing for them for a season or so.
Bit shite we can't even break even on him

I expect we did as they always quote the highest and lowest figures to make it look like Newcastle have had a bargain.
Can't wait until they realise they have bought a wimp and they start moaning they've been had

Around £15m apparently which may or may not include a £3m loan fee from January. Seems like £5m too low considering we paid around £15m when he was back up at Southampton and at that time had barely played in the PL, nearly 100 PL starts later and previous player of the season and we’ve just about broken even.

I won't wish him luck as I hate Newcastle but he did a good job for us in his second season. Poor in his first and this last one alas but so were a fair few others. If this is the standard of signing Newcastle are expecting to get them into Europe then they're in for a rude awakening. They'll see Targetts quality when he pisses himself against Adama again.

Glad he's gone. I look at him in contempt. Couldn't get out quick enough, didn't stay and fight for his place in the team, he knew his number was up.

Be a laugh if Newcastle but another LB, see how fast he ships out again.

Solid enough player for us for the most part but we’ve moved on, can see why Newcastle want him having done a decent job for them and they will want to spend more of their budget on other areas for now.

Being reported that Targey has completed a medical at Newcastle and now close to completing his move. I guess it must be for insurance purposes as he's been there for 6 months already.
I'm surprised Newcastle didnt try and get someone better in with all their wealth, must be planning on using it elsewhere.

For all their money they're just as hamstrung by FFP as we are. I saw some articles recently that they have 31 senior players on the books with many on contracts thru 2024. That includes the likes of Ciaran Clark who was omitted from their 25 man squad in January. He also won't go out on loan and he'll only move on a permanent deal, seems like he also doesn't want to move far from Newcastle either.

I think they're thinking of a slower build which IMO is a mistake. Hugo Ekitike for 35M, he is 19 and a stats wizard but for the EPL he may need to bulk up. They wanted Sven Botman but looks like he is off to AC Milan. Dean Henderson to compete w/ Dubravka seems like a waste of money and a big risk if they give him the same 6 figure deal as MU.

Glad he's gone. I look at him in contempt. Couldn't get out quick enough, didn't stay and fight for his place in the team, he knew his number was up.

Be a laugh if Newcastle but another LB, see how fast he ships out again.
If he knew his number was up why should he hang around like Lansbury, who we all respected so much for his willingness to stay and try and break into the first team?

If he knew his number was up why should he hang around like Lansbury, who we all respected so much for his willingness to stay and try and break into the first team?

Different kettle of fish as far I'm concerned. Lansbury never had a spot to fight for..... or put it another way, how many appearances did Lansbury make in the first team (not Caraboa Cup etc)?

Good luck to Matt in his future career, as for nufc they can **** off.
Matt did a decent job for us in his time at Villa. It was clearly obvious that his face didn't fit with SG, so I don't blame him for looking for an out. A professional looking to play can't be blamed. We've had enough half arsed pros in our time to recognise one who wants to play for his money.
Imo Matt is a better defender than Digne who admittedly is better going forwards. So talking about the latter as an upgrade is a tad premature (he hasn't been at VP long enough), but it's also dependent on the system the manager chooses for the team.

Kind of my point. Targett was a good servant for us but wants to play first team football. Why does that deserve contempt?

Personally, I am disappointed in Targett because he gave up, his comments around Digne felt disrespectful and not only disrespectful to the club but to himself. It takes great humility to admit someone is better than you and perhaps to even admit you're never going to be better than them. Thats where I take issue he didnt even think he could stay, compete and improve. To me he rolled over and took it, thats disappointing.

While that's the opinion I hold, he was a good servant and he was a good lad. He was brilliant in our second season and thoroughly deserved the players player accolade. If there was a most improved trophy he'd have won that too.

I get the feeling something more went on behind the scenes anyway. He was a Newcastle player the moment he went up there which seemed a little disrespectful to us. In many ways we should be glad he did decide to go because having a 29 and 27-year-old for that position is terrible for squad building and not a good financial position to be in.