The Matt Targett Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Matt Targett Thread

Got a bit of flak for saying he was worth 25MM at the start of the season when Leicester sold Chilwell.

Our whole backline + GK is worth the bones of 200MM+ now I reckon. What did they cost 70-80MM? Stunning really. You'd get 40MM for each of them easily IMO. United spent 50MM on Bissake and another 40or50MM went on Chilwell. Not to mention slab head for 80MM.

Got a bit of flak for saying he was worth 25MM at the start of the season when Leicester sold Chilwell.

Our whole backline + GK is worth the bones of 200MM+ now I reckon. What did they cost 70-80MM? Stunning really. You'd get 40MM for each of them easily IMO. United spent 50MM on Bissake and another 40or50MM went on Chilwell. Not to mention slab head for 80MM.
Slab head :lol::lol:

He seemed to pull out of some challenges last season and even turned his back on some crosses from his wing position but now he reminds me of a good old fashioned full-back by going hard into challenges and letting a winger know he's around and committed to stopping you.

What a transformation and I think Dean and the coaching staff must take some credit for that as well because he could have easily been dropped and sulked in the reserves.

I think with Targett hes spent most of his career as second study or reserves now hes playing regular football as he is hes getting better with every game took a season to get himself together .

Also, we have to say well done to whoever is responsible for recruitment. Dean seems to get the credit for this one and for Cash. For a long time, Targett looked a massive weak link but he's instrumental for us both in attack and defense.

I think with Targett hes spent most of his career as second study or reserves now hes playing regular football as he is hes getting better with every game took a season to get himself together .
I think you're spot on there Nerrad. We have a few of those in our team that are definitely inexperienced in terms of being regular 90-minute players. Mings and Barkley haven't been regulars before coming to us. Given time, if they can all reach full potential in the same way that Targett seems to be doing, we'll have a cracking team....

Targett's big improvement has also been helped by the fact he now has Jack and SJM on that side rather than the hapless flapper Hourihane around him. SJM has won more possession than any other Villa player this season, the ball to Jack or SJM is nailed on to stick and not come flying straight back with interest. In saying that Matty has manned up, he now hammers into tackles, heads balls away far more than he's ever done before. His left foot is as good as anyone when firing the ball down the line or across goal
Our left side is pretty awesome this season those 3 rarely look in trouble

He deserves a call up. England are weak at left back, Chilwell is decent but beyond that we’re scraping the barrel, Danny Rose, Bertrand (both past it), Saka (who is a forward), and right backs out of position are the contenders and none of them are better than Targett. The lad at Leicester looks OK but is injured and still very young

Matt’s doing well but needs to look for the overlap more than he did against Sheff. Though that may not be in Dean’s game plan but one of them’s at fault.

Fair play to the lad. Got some severe stick last season, some of it justified but he’s knuckled down and has improved massively. Great to see players now joining the club and improving rather than going backwards or into oblivion. Another sign that the club is getting plenty right at present.
Indeed Langoe. Not done bad has he. And one or two are starting to question Dean Smith. Like so many of our players he has developed and improved under Dean's stewardship and is now probably worth twice what we paid for him.

Yeah, excellent news, the guy truly deserves it too.

Agreed, definitely the most improved player of the season. Well done Matt.

He’s developed into a really consistent full back - not sure many of us would have expected that so soon from him but he’s doing a great job and possibly not far off the England squad