The Matt Targett Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Matt Targett Thread

I think he's another who gets bashed when we lose but now we are winning he's suddenly ok. My only concern with him is that he is too soft, needs to find a nasty streak
He's a bit of a weak link, we beat Fulham easily but he was very poor in that game. On Sunday he played very well though.

It's helped him now he's got McGinn in there with him rather than the wand who couldn't get stuck into a bag of chips
This.......people seem to forget that this is a team game and there are reliance's all over the pitch. Whatever Conor's strengths, he is weak defensively. With a stronger left side, Targett is not looking as exposed.

He's still definitely our weak link. There was one time against Leicester where they played a through ball and he just seemed to stop and stand still. Positionally unaware, and switches off way too often.

He'll have to do for now but when the next round of transfers comes round you'd imagine left back will be first priority.

He's still definitely our weak link. There was one time against Leicester where they played a through ball and he just seemed to stop and stand still. Positionally unaware, and switches off way too often.

He'll have to do for now but when the next round of transfers comes round you'd imagine left back will be first priority.
Agree. He's had three bad games so far but did improve a lot against Leicester, although Perez isn't much of a winger and their full back was preoccupied with trying to injure Grealish.

If he keeps improving, fair play to him. He's still relatively young so he could develop into a better player over the course of the season, but I'd still be looking to offload Taylor and sign a much higher quality left back to take Targett's place.

Totally agree with this, I believe in the Nesta school of defending, if you have to make a tackle you've already made a mistake. He had to do 3 or 4 last ditch tackles as he got caught out of position.

I think we're seeing a mix of:

1. Targett actually improving slightly
2. we're better as a team
3. stronger more sustained attacks
4. McGinn plugging up holes
5. Teams even more preoccupied with Grealish as he has more time and space with Watkins and Barkley on the field

Agree. He's had three bad games so far but did improve a lot against Leicester, although Perez isn't much of a winger and their full back was preoccupied with trying to injure Grealish.

If he keeps improving, fair play to him. He's still relatively young so he could develop into a better player over the course of the season, but I'd still be looking to offload Taylor and sign a much higher quality left back to take Targett's place.
I thought he was excellent against Liverpool as well considering he was up against Salah and TAA. Winning headers, got blocks in and contributed to the attack as well.

I don't disagree we need competition or improvement at LB though, but certainly less urgent than I thought it was after Fulham, when he was pretty bad.

Totally agree with this, I believe in the Nesta school of defending, if you have to make a tackle you've already made a mistake. He had to do 3 or 4 last ditch tackles as he got caught out of position.

I think we're seeing a mix of:

1. Targett actually improving slightly
2. we're better as a team
3. stronger more sustained attacks
4. McGinn plugging up holes
5. Teams even more preoccupied with Grealish as he has more time and space with Watkins and Barkley on the field

I think you're right.

I disagree with the point made about him not being up for a physical challenge though cos I think he's a right dirty bastard at times.

His biggest issue is ball watching with no awareness at all at times of what's going on, even just two metres away, if it's not directly in his line of sight.

Witness Liverpool's second goal, he just stops moving and watches Salah stroll by him and then doesn't even attempt to intercept the pass, it's like he's just had a temporary blackout while still standing upright.

It's entirely possible that, by the time they all hit their prime, every member of our back-four could be in and around the England squad. Besides Arnold at the dippers I can't think of a decent English defender, especially at full-back.

We can’t buy anyone now anyway until January, so let’s see what Magic Shakes can do with him over the next few months. The positions he was taking up for set pieces we’re very interesting to me, someone is working with him.

I'm quite surprised at how bad of an athlete he actually is. At one point Walker-Peters, a player who is literally built like Gary Coleman, absolutely fragged him off the ball shoulder to shoulder.

Other than that he's actually having an OK season!

Been pretty solid this season and confidence seems high on the pitch, however, after watching this 9 minute interview the lad seems to be lacking real confidence in front of the camera, I know it's not for everyone, For me I watch that and I feel awkward for him.

If I was apart of the management team in Villa and watching that I'd want to build his confidence up and have that inner belief if it's in front of the camera, off the pitch or on it, Probably help him to be more vocal on the pitch and he's a big lad, the more leaders on the pitch the better for me.

Left-back Matt Targett previews Aston Villa's Boxing Day clash against Crystal Palace | AVFC

Been pretty solid this season and confidence seems high on the pitch, however, after watching this 9 minute interview the lad seems to be lacking real confidence in front of the camera, I know it's not for everyone, For me I watch that and I feel awkward for him.

If I was apart of the management team in Villa and watching that I'd want to build his confidence up and have that inner belief if it's in front of the camera, off the pitch or on it, Probably help him to be more vocal on the pitch and he's a big lad, the more leaders on the pitch the better for me.

Left-back Matt Targett previews Aston Villa's Boxing Day clash against Crystal Palace | AVFC

Sometimes you may be better having low ish confidence - it focusses you.
For example, the more Mings thinks he's Cruyff the more risks he takes.
:jangel:

I don't think it matters how he is on camera, has nothing to do with his game. Scholes was always awkward and aloof when it came to media (during his playing days obviously).