The Matt Targett Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

The Matt Targett Thread

Yes , last season he was a bottle job, this season he has manned up and taken no prisoners, the talent was there. Impressive stuff, it needs to rub off on a few of his teammates.
Perhaps he's read this forum and thought I'll bloody show them

Yes , last season he was a bottle job, this season he has manned up and taken no prisoners, the talent was there. Impressive stuff, it needs to rub off on a few of his teammates.

Yes, I also sometimes wonder if some players read fans' forums but most likely they are advised by the club to not do so except Twitter, and a lot of the time they only post on Twitter for attention and vanity.

I've always thought the club has people looking at the forums to gauge fans' opinions on certain matters for them to give feedback to the club's communications team etc?

Anyway, back on topic.....................

Yes, he probably shat himself at the prospect of ending up at the Pedigree Chum factory and decided to pull his socks up and be a decent LB instead

Southgate could have been looking at the entire future England back four yesterday - Targett is certainly progressing in that direction.

Last edited:
I read someone on here say it's crowds that affect him. Is it why he played so well last season. Hmmm......maybe.
Yesterday he couldn't wait to get rid of the ball...all rushed crap crosses.

Full-back suits him. Wing back doesn't, at least not so much.

Also, spent a lot of the summer with his foot in a boot. Don't think he's quite up to speed yet.

He's not a wing back and playing him there won't bring the best out of him. He's not quick enough and although he saw a lot of the ball most of that time he was isolated with no Claret and Blue shirts near him. He's not a player who will beat a couple of men, he never has been. If we want to see the Targett last season we need to return to a back 4 and get him supporting the winger.

As for him apparently being fat. He looks no different to me.

Poor start to the season and probably needs a spell away but last season proved he is a player. Look at the comments from last season in this thread to see where he can perform.
Can see some snidey comments creeping in already.:slap:

Poor start to the season and probably needs a spell away but last season proved he is a player. Look at the comments from last season in this thread to see where he can perform.
Can see some snidey comments creeping in already.:slap:
Well he was voted Players' Player of the Season, so the squad obviously hold him in high regard.

I thought he was alright yesterday, made some important interceptions and was generally well positioned, but gave away the ball way too easily on a number of occasions and doesn't look especially comfortable playing as far forward as he was.

I like the guy and I think he'll get back to the heights he reached last season sooner rather than later.

I suspect Targett's still playing back to full sharpness and getting used to not having Father Damo to play off in front of him anymore. Seems to be quite reserved and even a little unconfident, as some of his blocked crosses on Saturday almost looked like he just wanted rid of the ball at times. He showed his talent last season and I'm sure it'll be back before long.

Targett essentially looks like he's going through the motions a bit now and very short of confidence, it's getting to the point where you'd probably even say Ashley Young should be the starting left back now (assuming that we don't bring anyone in during the January window).