The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 59 | Vital Football

The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to twatter we have upped the offer for Sanson to 11m euros with 5m add ons. If true it should not be long before they find an acceptable medium. I bet the Villa dont like dealing with OM as the leaks appear to be coming from there. Its not the way we normally do transfers.
could be the agent , provoking matters.

You mean Rowe who kept Salah quiet and we've loaned him out to non league Hereford lol.

We've got Hause, Mings can fill in at LB until Targett's back, anyone any idea how serious it is ?

Shame we don't go in for Henry, perhaps cash is tight.

I thought Chrisene was also a LB? Could be wrong on that but I guess they still play in different roles at that age to see where they might fit best.

Not sure about Rico Henry myself, if he wasnt at Brentford I doubt we would have been linked with him. Also I doubt he would come just to be back up to Targett.
For me its either spend big on a first choice LB or pluck a youngster from Europe or lower leagues who can develop over the next year or two.

I think we're being bullies for a change. A massive TV deal fell through for the French clubs this season. They're only getting like 30% of the deal they had all pinned their hopes on. French clubs are really struggling financially. We didnt even offer 50% of the supposed asking price of 18MM which in fairness already looked somewhat cheap.

£18m is not a bad fee for him considering they were supposedly asking £25-30m in the Summer.

Targett has become a good player but we need two good players for each position. With all due respect to Matt Targett, who arguably put in a MOTM performance past night, we aren't going to be challenging for a top four position with him nailed on to start week in week out.

Long term I agree, but I dont think we are yet at the stage where a quality LB would join if he didnt think he'd be playing every week.
I thought Targett was a weak link for us last season, but like a few others he seems to have massively improved this season. Last nights performance was against the best team in the league for me, so proves he has the ability.

A lot of our players are going to be better next season. So how do we sort out backups? Think DS has to start thinking seriously about a rotation policy.

Sanson reminds me of Conor.

Not sure about Rico Henry myself, if he wasnt at Brentford I doubt we would have been linked with him. Also I doubt he would come just to be back up to Targett.
For me its either spend big on a first choice LB or pluck a youngster from Europe or lower leagues who can develop over the next year or two.

LB has become a tricky position as have a few other positions. A lot of our players are at an age where they need to be playing regularly to kick on. I suppose when you look at other clubs like Liverpool they don't exactly have an LB or RB to fall back on. Milner fills the gaps and when he doesnt they look to their juniors.

So I do kind of agree bringing in Rico Henry who probably isn't a million miles off Targett and Cash doesn't necessarily make sense.

Liverpool will play their same 11 where they can and we should do the same and we typically do. Its all well and good having a load of great players but the last thing you want is the Chelsea situation or even Citys situation is a bit of a joke. Bringing in players who cost millions and don't really seem to improve you. Pep's bought how many CBs before he seems to have finally got it right. I dont think any of them are levels above the other. Same at LB, RB, on the wings etc.

A lot of our players are going to be better next season. So how do we sort out backups? Think DS has to start thinking seriously about a rotation policy.

Sanson reminds me of Conor.

What? He has apparently got 3 x better pressing stats than McGinn. That would suggest he is nothing like Connor. Although i accept stats can lie.

LB has become a tricky position as have a few other positions. A lot of our players are at an age where they need to be playing regularly to kick on. I suppose when you look at other clubs like Liverpool they don't exactly have an LB or RB to fall back on. Milner fills the gaps and when he doesnt they look to their juniors.

So I do kind of agree bringing in Rico Henry who probably isn't a million miles off Targett and Cash doesn't necessarily make sense.

Liverpool will play their same 11 where they can and we should do the same and we typically do. Its all well and good having a load of great players but the last thing you want is the Chelsea situation or even Citys situation is a bit of a joke. Bringing in players who cost millions and don't really seem to improve you. Pep's bought how many CBs before he seems to have finally got it right. I dont think any of them are levels above the other. Same at LB, RB, on the wings etc.
Targett's developed into a decent player but he's no Robertson and never will be. We need to keep improving every position and then it's up to Targett to keep whoever we sign out of the team/looking over his shoulder.

Competition is key. Look at what a bit of it has done to El Ghazi for instance.

IMO every new player we buy should be better than what we have. It's hard to get a decent player to come to sit on the bench. But if they are already here and lose out then it's up to them to complete.

Example...Emi for Heaton.

PS that means we spend more...but we don't need loads now....just quality.

Last edited:
IMO every new player we buy should be better than what we have. It's hard to get a decent player to come to sit on the bench. But if they are already here and lose out then it's up to them to complete.

Example...Emi for Heaton.

Yes. Every player we sign now should make the lads we already have in that position think they need to up their game to keep their place.

Just saw that too, Definitely had their pants down with 14m-15.5m and taken advantage of their financial state.

We were never going to pick up another John McGinn for £2.8m, We'll just have to wait out, Let's remember West Ham had a 25m bid rejected last year so once they find out that fee they might want to go a little higher, until the players signs Marseille could easily pull out, it's happened with transfers in the past, I guess the big delay is down to covid testing etc

Just saw that too, Definitely had their pants down with 14m-15.5m and taken advantage of their financial state.

We were never going to pick up another John McGinn for £2.8m, We'll just have to wait out, Let's remember West Ham had a 25m bid rejected last year so once they find out that fee they might want to go a little higher, until the players signs Marseille could easily pull out, it's happened with transfers in the past, I guess the big delay is down to covid testing etc

No doubt someone will blame Brexit, I don't think it's taking long really.
Knowing our luck though some jobsworth will deliberately delay it and make it a test case against the new points system of movement for jobs

All joking aside re Sanson, it will be interesting to see if/how he gets a work permit under the new post-Brexit system.

He's not even a full French international, so I wonder how he stacks up under Priti Patel's shiny new points-based system.

All joking aside re Sanson, it will be interesting to see if/how he gets a work permit under the new post-Brexit system.

He's not even a full French international, so I wonder how he stacks up under Priti Patel's shiny new points-based system.
In fact, it wasn't all that far back that we couldn't sign Kalinic because he'd not played enough games for Coatia.

Came across this - highly boring but suggests the flow of European players into English football might be radically reduced from now on.

https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/artic...s-brexit-endorsement-criteria-eea-visa-points

Status
Not open for further replies.