The Holiday Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Holiday Thread

I've got my sights on East Asia for my next big holiday.

Never been but always wanted to, especially Singapore had my eye on that for ages.

Natalie wants to do Hong Kong and I've a few mates who have been Japan and raved about it so I'm thinking a bit of a tour of all 3.

Probably not for a few years though, as I'll be paying off the wedding/honeymoon for a while.

DeanoVilla - 8/5/2017 17:26

Never been but always wanted to, especially Singapore had my eye on that for ages.

Natalie wants to do Hong Kong and I've a few mates who have been Japan and raved about it so I'm thinking a bit of a tour of all 3.

Probably not for a few years though, as I'll be paying off the wedding/honeymoon for a while.

You'd want to be careful, Deano. The last time you went on holiday, you came back married with kids.

Seriously though, Singapore is alright for a few days but it's a small place. It's been called Asia for beginners as everything is very modern and well organised.

Hong Kong is great but again, only for a few days. In a lot of ways, Hong Kong and Singapore are similar. They are both very modern cities. I think Hong Kong has a bit more going on culturally.

I've never been to Japan but it's a very big place. You'd need a lot longer there to do it justice.

DeanoVilla - 8/5/2017 08:26

Hong Kong is the best city in the world - FACT

Seriously though i've been a few times and its an incredible place. Every cuisine of the world is catered for, and the local dishes like Hot pot, Dim sum and street food is unbeatable. Some great nightlife in Central, Wan chai and Kowloon.

Some fantastic beaches and islands to explore other than the main HK island. Brilliant and cheap transport network to get around - ferries, buses and the MTR underground network.

Great cultural sites, with the temples and Chinese cultural events.

There is plenty there to keep you occupied for at least a week IMO. It can easily be combined with any other SE Asia country as part of a multi country trip. Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia all easily accessible from HK.

Andy The Ray - 8/5/2017 02:34

Off to Kef anytime soon KK?

LOL yes! Today in 3 weeks we shall be heading for the airport and spending the night over at The Radisson at Manchester airport. I love that airport. I love the walkway through to the check in. I love the walkway when we get off the train at the airport, cos I feel like I am entering a Galactic type bubble where we are been lifted away :14:

Attachments

• Breakfast resized.jpg
    Breakfast resized.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Kef resized 1.jpg
    Kef resized 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Adonis.jpg
    Adonis.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • Full moon Katelios 2016.jpg
    Full moon Katelios 2016.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• Far side of the lagoon in Agostoli resized.jpg
    Far side of the lagoon in Agostoli resized.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Home Kef.jpg
    Home Kef.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • home sweet home resized.jpg
    home sweet home resized.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • Katelios sunset 2015.jpg
    Katelios sunset 2015.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
chicovilla - 8/5/2017 19:43

DeanoVilla - 8/5/2017 08:26

Hong Kong is the best city in the world - FACT

Seriously though i've been a few times and its an incredible place. Every cuisine of the world is catered for, and the local dishes like Hot pot, Dim sum and street food is unbeatable. Some great nightlife in Central, Wan chai and Kowloon.

Some fantastic beaches and islands to explore other than the main HK island. Brilliant and cheap transport network to get around - ferries, buses and the MTR underground network.

Great cultural sites, with the temples and Chinese cultural events.

There is plenty there to keep you occupied for at least a week IMO. It can easily be combined with any other SE Asia country as part of a multi country trip. Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia all easily accessible from HK.

We never got to any of the less populated islands. We spent all of our time in Kowloon and Hong Kong island. It reminded me a lot of London, lots of people all rushing around.

We never got to any of the less populated islands. We spent all of our time in Kowloon and Hong Kong island. It reminded me a lot of London, lots of people all rushing around.

Sai Kung ( part of Kowloon) has some fantastic beaches and outlying isalnds, and then there's Lamma, Lantau and Cheung Chau off the main HK island. All great.

Hong Kong Island can get very busy and hectic around the business and commercial areas, but exciting and vibrant with it. The night time Horse racing at Happy Valley is a top night out.

Three days in Ireland last week. Stayed at Balina in County Tipperary on the banks of the Shannon and visited the Cliffs of Moher. Spectacular scenery.
Biggest laugh was an item on the menu of the restaurant we ate in.
Starters.
Soup and a wedge of bread.
Gluten free option.
Don't eat the bread.

Looks very nice KK. I was bought up in Guernsey and some of the pictures look like home (but not as cold or rainy). Coming from a small island the last place I want to go on vacation is another island. I love woods and mountains that why I'm off to Colorado and go to eastern Tennessee so often. I'm sure you'll have a great time though. Enjoy it!

Going to Kuala Lumpur on Saturday for 8 nights.

Booked in at the Hilton, looks a really nice place.

Just need to get away and break this strange cycle I'm in. Looks a fascinating place and also great to know I have a contact over there to point me in the right direction... !

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/malaysia/hilton-kuala-lumpur-KULHIHI/index.html?WT.mc_id=zELWAKN0APAC1HI2DMH3LocalSearch4DGGenericx6KULHIHI

ironside - 8/5/2017 17:25

Three days in Ireland last week. Stayed at Balina in County Tipperary on the banks of the Shannon and visited the Cliffs of Moher. Spectacular scenery.
Biggest laugh was an item on the menu of the restaurant we ate in.
Starters.
Soup and a wedge of bread.
Gluten free option.
Don't eat the bread.

That's priceless!
I'm golng to borrow it (with or without your permission).

Andy The Ray - 9/5/2017 01:40

Looks very nice KK. I was bought up in Guernsey and some of the pictures look like home (but not as cold or rainy). Coming from a small island the last place I want to go on vacation is another island. I love woods and mountains that why I'm off to Colorado and go to eastern Tennessee so often. I'm sure you'll have a great time though. Enjoy it!

Thank you Andy and you too. I was in Guernsey as a teen with the youth group I was in. It was a lovely island. Yes I can understand why you have had enough of islands

kefkat - 8/5/2017 11:38

I love Manchester airport. :

Manchester, Ontario, I presume?
Unfortunately I need to fly into the other Manchester tomorrow - the one in Lancashire.
Friendly people but, gosh, what an ordeal it has become over the years. It didn't use to be but that trek from the station, going down in one lift, coming back up in another, leaving one terminal building to brave the elements to get to another (I normally fly into T3 with Ruinair), the "security experience" (that of course applies to all airports) and then trying to nick a seat in the departures "lounge", all contribute to what the great sociologist Emile Durkheim has called a huge sense of anomie.

The Fear - 15/5/2017 16:44

Just need to get away and break this strange cycle I'm in. Looks a fascinating place and also great to know I have a contact over there to point me in the right direction... !

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/malaysia/hilton-kuala-lumpur-KULHIHI/index.html?WT.mc_id=zELWAKN0APAC1HI2DMH3LocalSearch4DGGenericx6KULHIHI

Are you Fear, oh that's nice.

:11:

:19:

The Fear - 16/5/2017 10:06

:3:

Have a good time. Never been, but looks amazing.

My experience of Asia is limited to a week in Hong Kong about 18 years ago - truly wonderful, amazing place but bloody humid!! I would love to go back.

BodyButter - 6/5/2017 16:59

I went to Mayo last summer. It's beautiful but the weather is so erratic. It's impossible to plan anything.

We stayed in Killala. Lovely people in Mayo.

The weather's not really erratic, BB - 60 inches of rain a year. If you can see Croagh Patrick, it's going to rain. If you can't, it's already raining.
The current Taoiseach, Enda Kenny (Prime Minister) is from Mayo. I met him at an event last year and when I told him that Mrs BBJ was also from Swinford in his native county, his comment was "They're lovely people - but don't cross them."
True that!
Another date in this year's calendar - our social secretary has pencilled in two nights in Frankfurt in early September.

The Fear - 16/5/2017 10:06

The Fear - 15/5/2017 16:44

Heard lots of good things about KL. I've been to Penang (an island north of kuala Lumpa) and Kotakinabalu in Malaysian Borneo, both fantastic. Fascinating country with some brilliant food. Should be a good introduction to SE Asia. Look forward to hearing how it was JF. Enjoy! :35: