The Holiday Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Holiday Thread

Just about 4 weeks until our American adventure. Fun will be mandatory.

Process started of unwinding to go away: handed over the meeting keys last tonight. That's me free for 5 weeks now of them.

Today as I post in the morning I am having my usual yearly tattoo done, The evening and Friday evening, sponsees to see. Then I can start relaxing as hairdressers and spa on Saturday, church and packing Sunday, Monday ''we go again''

chicovilla - 24/5/2017 21:02

tmg513 - 24/5/2017 07:52

Just back from a week in Bosnia which was really interesting. Then I'll be at the Le Mans 24 hours in mid-June. Finally I'll be touring the continent with my son in my old jalopy for three weeks from the end of July. We hope to see some of the Villa on the pre-season tour, and maybe go to Dortmund (again) or Bayern or Juventus or wherever the dates work out.
Where did you go in Bosnia? I think its brilliant. Sarajevo and Mostar well off the usual tourist radar. Quirky and cultural :)
I flew to Sarajevo, spent a few days there, then got the bus down to Mostar for a couple of nights before returning to the capital. As you say it has a really great East meets West feel about it and the people are really, really friendly.

Got back this afternoon from a few days away in Yorkshire with Mrs Melon. The kids were away with their cousins and grandparents (result!).

Stayed near to Otley, right in the dales. Lots of walking. On wednesday we walked for around 4 hours round the area where we stayed and did not see a soul. Bliss. Gorgeous weather aswell.

About 5 hours walking around Ilkley moor yesterday and ended up in Bettys. Which is posh tea room where its about £20 for tea and cake. Its not as cheap as Greggs but much nicer. Funny things was we looked a right state in our walking gear. We did ask first if it was ok to go in!.

chicovilla - 24/5/2017 21:07

Arrived early in Porto this morning and by god its cool. Not massively touristy, rustic and real. Found some decent local joints where wine was 50p a glass! Beer 85p. Beautiful city, and ive got a feeling it will be soon a" got to go" place in europe. Get there before it loses its imense charm. Btw. My flights £39 return and great room for £20 a night. Abrigodos.

Porto is a very nice visit indeed. Still places in Lisbon as well. You know what, there are still numerous places to go in Europe that are off the radar, but they have to be kept quiet!!!

Melon Donkey - 2/6/2017 22:41

Got back this afternoon from a few days away in Yorkshire with Mrs Melon. The kids were away with their cousins and grandparents (result!).

Stayed near to Otley, right in the dales. Lots of walking. On wednesday we walked for around 4 hours round the area where we stayed and did not see a soul. Bliss. Gorgeous weather aswell.

About 5 hours walking around Ilkley moor yesterday and ended up in Bettys. Which is posh tea room where its about £20 for tea and cake. Its not as cheap as Greggs but much nicer. Funny things was we looked a right state in our walking gear. We did ask first if it was ok to go in!.

Sounds really nice, love going further afield, but this also seems sublime, a good time of year to choose I suspect.

villasince67 - 2/6/2017 23:06

Melon Donkey - 2/6/2017 22:41

Sounds really nice, love going further afield, but this also seems sublime, a good time of year to choose I suspect.

Yes know what you mean about going further afield, which i too like, but no doubt there are some absolute gems closer to home i.e in this country.

Weekend of golf in Scotland
Couple days Paris
Couple days Brussels
Week or so in east Devon .

That's my summer line up

Has anyone reading this been recently to Disney in Orlando.

If so, what's it like and which hotel did you stay in.

Fulford - 14/6/2017 12:51

Went in 2015 Fulford.

Stayed in a private Villa in Kissimmee though. Juniors were 10 and 11 so we're fully into the rides and theme parks.
We took them a week out of school and week into half term in February to try and get it quieter. When researching it seemed really difficult to get a solid two weeks when it would be quieter so we had a one week where the parks were busy but one where it was no queuing and pretty quiet.

Came away thinking 'yep been there done' no need to go back but but to be honest I would go back tomorrow.

Thanks Melon.

My kids will be 19,18,8 so I reckon this could be the last chance to take them.

Been looking at the Disney hotels but unsure if they are any good.

Fulford - 14/6/2017 18:42

Thanks Melon.

My kids will be 19,18,8 so I reckon this could be the last chance to take them.

Been looking at the Disney hotels but unsure if they are any good.

They will love it.

For what it's worth (personal choice and all that ) I wouldn't consider staying in a Disney hotel. I think they are, probably packed, expensive and they might restrict you. For example it was a relief to get away from the parks at the end of the day. We did parks 6 days in a row and I knew as soon as I walked into Disney on the 6th day I wanted a rest and chill out day. As we had a villa we hired a car and could get to the shopping malls of which there are loads and loads. ( I'm into shopping but even I couldn't stop spending, 2 pairs of Nike trainers and a pair of converse for under £70 for example) drive out to Kennedy space centre and if we had time would have gone to Daytona or Clearwater beaches which were within an hour or so. Also not sure eating wise at Disney but staying off site and you can get anything anytime and it's dirt cheap. Definitely worth looking and considering a villa or apartment in the area and a hire car if you haven't already.

Thanks Melon I have looked at that but as I'm not in the best of health by staying on site I could chill some days at the hotel whilst my family explore the parks.

Hi Fulford. I've been to Disney in Orlando a few times and experienced all the different options.

I think the best choice will depend on a few things...

a) Will you have a car?
b) the deals available
c) the parks you want to visit
d) do you want to eat out every night, or rather cook and save money?

First time I went I was too young to drive so we stayed on International Drive which is a long road full of hotels, restaurants and a few small attractions. It's ideal if you don't have a car as there are buses galore taking you to all the Disney and Universal Parks.

Second time I went I stayed in a Villa in Kissimee. Advantage of this was it had it's own pool, and we were able to cook our meals. We had a car and drove to the parks. There's some lovely Villa's available in some nice quiet spots if you look around.

3rd time we did it half and half. We stayed 7 nights at a Disney Hotel (The Animal Kingdom Lodge), fantastic if you like animals we could see giraffes and stuff from our room! and then the 2nd week we moved to a Villa.

As for recommendations...

1) If you can get a dining deal DEFINATELY stop at Disney!!! We had a free dining plan thrown in for the 4 of us which included breakfast, a counter service lunch, a sit down meal, and 2 snacks per person per day! I can't tell you how good that was value wise. Huge choice of restaurants to choose from across the entire disney complex. Seriously if you can find a free dining plan offer then it's a no brainer! As far as I'm aware they tend to advertise the free dining deals once or twice per year, so keep your eyes peeled.

2) if there aren't any offers, then it's simply come down to a choice of car (Villa) or non car (International Drive) for me.

I've never stopped in a Universal Hotel, but assume they'd be decent too, but again probably expensive unless you can get some kind of deal.

Dude the free dining offer is on now .

http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/walt-disney-world/deals/free-dining-in-2018/040/

Reckons you can save up to £700 per person, which I can vouch for you get an awful lot of bang for your buck (or no buck seeing as it's free). Sounds like a con but it's not trust me, it's great.

If all you want to do is Disney I'd recommend booking a deluxe disney hotel for the entire length of your stay and make the most of it.

If you wnat to do all the other parks too, then maybe just do that for a week then book a cheap Villa or cheap hotel on i_Drive for the 2nd week?

Interestingly we are still in Katelios, Kefelonia. This holiday has to be the best on record. That's probably because with all that happened with Mr KK health last year the sheer enormity of coming away with Mr KK is massive! I mean a Dr for those of you who don't know told us Mr KK had 2 months to live last October, which has turned out to be a load of old baloney. The story of is in the medical profession thread.

It's the best cos we are here: I cried when we got to the hotel the day before, I cried when the plane took off, I cried when we landed, I cried when we got to our apartments and I have shed quite a few tears when we have seen people we have known for years here. Understandably so.

Incidently we are booked for 2018, paying monthly by direct debit.

Hoping to get a long weekend away in September for Mr KK ahem 60th. I haven't told him yet. I want it to be a surprise, like the 1 I did for his 50th

DeanoVilla - 15/6/2017 14:32

Dude the free dining offer is on now .

http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/walt-disney-world/deals/free-dining-in-2018/040/

Reckons you can save up to £700 per person, which I can vouch for you get an awful lot of bang for your buck (or no buck seeing as it's free). Sounds like a con but it's not trust me, it's great.

If all you want to do is Disney I'd recommend booking a deluxe disney hotel for the entire length of your stay and make the most of it.

If you wnat to do all the other parks too, then maybe just do that for a week then book a cheap Villa or cheap hotel on i_Drive for the 2nd week?

Thanks Deano.

I was looking at the meal plans together with the Boardwalk Inn Hotel.

Don't want to do self catering and hoping to avoid driving.