The Formula 1 Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Formula 1 Thread

What a drive by Carlos Sainz, by the way. In all the carnage, he made his way from P20 to P3 - superb effort.

I really hate the way the stewards rule on stuff after the race so Hamilton got to go on the podium while Sainz missed out and then Hamilton demoted with the inevitable time penalty.

He was clearly at fault, clearly caused a collision and now Sainz has been denied his 5 minutes of fame. It will be a long time before he gets a top three finish, if ever.

What a drive by Carlos Sainz, by the way. In all the carnage, he made his way from P20 to P3 - superb effort.

I really hate the way the stewards rule on stuff after the race so Hamilton got to go on the podium while Sainz missed out and then Hamilton demoted with the inevitable time penalty.

He was clearly at fault, clearly caused a collision and now Sainz has been denied his 5 minutes of fame. It will be a long time before he gets a top three finish, if ever.
Wasn’t it half way round the penultimate lap so not much they can implement in just 100 seconds..

I thought it was more like 70/30 than entirely Hamilton’s fault - Albon left too much space on the inside and then closed the gap too late. Hamilton perhaps a bit too ambitious but Albon was caught napping. I think there would have been more challenge from Mercedes / Hamilton camp had the championship still been an open contest

Wasn’t it half way round the penultimate lap so not much they can implement in just 100 seconds..

I thought it was more like 70/30 than entirely Hamilton’s fault - Albon left too much space on the inside and then closed the gap too late. Hamilton perhaps a bit too ambitious but Albon was caught napping. I think there would have been more challenge from Mercedes / Hamilton camp had the championship still been an open contest

100 seconds? With the couple of slow-down laps, the slow entry into parc fermé, the celebrations of Verstappen and Gasly, the driver interviews with Barrichello (where Lewis admitted it was his fault) and the driver weigh-in, it was more like 10-15 minutes, plenty of time to make a call. Just a shame that Sainz didn't get that all-important first podium for real is all I am saying.

Agree that Lewis may not have been so racked with guilt (!) if there had been anything riding on the race though.

Well done Lewis.....

Winning the Abu Dhabi do...... Confirming his superiority.

An imperious way to underline his season - pole, the win and a new track record. He was unstoppable this weekend.

Interesting that a lot of reports today have reared up again about him possibly going to Ferrari once his contract ends after next season. Intriguing, and why not?

I'm sure the appetite is still burning and he would relish the chance of going head-to-head with Charles Leclerc. Hamilton could be the catalyst for Ferrari to finally start winning titles again - Vettel has failed spectacularly considering his stock when he joined them.

But let's allow Lewis to get his 7th title and overtake Michael Schumacher's 91 wins next year before going down that road!

This season hasn't yet started and the driver merry-go-round for NEXT season has kicked off.

Vettel is leaving Ferarri (no great surprise, he has been a major disappointment since arriving) at the end of this season (assuming it starts at some stage).

Replacing hi at Maranello is Carlos Sainz, whose McLaren seat will be taken by Daniel Ricciardo, who will leave Renault. No news yet on who may replace Danny Ric.

Big winner in all of this will presumably be Charles Leclerc, who will become the main man for Ferrari, having outperformed Vettel consistently last season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52661201

Formula 1 says it would be unable to hold a British Grand Prix if personnel are not given exemptions from plans to quarantine international travellers.

An F1 spokesman said: "A 14-day quarantine would make it impossible to have a British Grand Prix this year.

"Additionally, it has a major impact on literally tens of thousands of jobs linked to F1 and supply chains."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52723200

I would think something could be arranged, if they stopped at one hotel and were bussed in to work, and back out again.