The Formula 1 Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Formula 1 Thread

Bit of a pedestrian race, Bottas just isn't quite the grade, not aggressive enough and seems happy to be second fiddle, hence they have extended his deal.

Just had that conversation with junior 1 about Bottas.

Thing is there is no motivation for Bottas to go anywhere else. Its not as if he will be in a better car anywhere else to increase his chances. So even though he isn't pulling up trees, he is not pulling up trees and still finishing top 3 and grabbing poles !.

Mercedes have it cracked and will win the drivers and constructors again which is their priority. Why would they change a winning system.

Would love to see a top driver with Lewis but Mercedes will not want to compromise their dominance by having Lewis and a proper title competitor risking taking each other out.

Russell replacing Bottas seems to be the thinking . Question is when. 2022?

Bit of a pedestrian race, Bottas just isn't quite the grade, not aggressive enough and seems happy to be second fiddle, hence they have extended his deal.
Yep as much as I support Hamilton there are too many predictable races nowadays. Although I guess it has been like that for a long time with Red Bull and Ferrari going through spells of dominance at various times in the last 20 years.

Mercedes obviously want to maximise their chances with a safe and steady second runner in Bottas but without the excitement surely interest in the sport will wane leaving them worse off in the long term. I guess perhaps they will milk it as far as possible and will then pull out possibly to Formula E which is probably more relevant from a technical development perspective

Yes, as you say, you won't rock the boat and there isn't a better car for him to go to. He is no doubt a top driver, but he's not a great. So in that case, you can understand why he will play second fiddle.

Just a procession, even Hamilton seems a bit bored, he said he would like to be challenged. He also said a lot of it is about tyre management which also isn't racing.

On the flipside, you have to applaud the work Merc have done to be this dominant and with Lewis 40 points ahead already, it in pretty incredible really

Wasn't it Lewis Hamilton bemoaning Vettel's dominance a few years back!?.

Bizarre to say it given we are witnessing greatness, and from a British sportsman to boot, but it can't carry on like this. But it will. The rule changes scheduled are not even in for next season now due to Covid-19.

Just a procession, even Hamilton seems a bit bored, he said he would like to be challenged. He also said a lot of it is about tyre management which also isn't racing.

On the flipside, you have to applaud the work Merc have done to be this dominant and with Lewis 40 points ahead already, it in pretty incredible really

Yep good old Britsh company, I have a couple of ex-work colleagues who work there and other F1 companies behind the scenes it brutal work, no such thing as 9-5 jobs in that malarky or you don't last long

Wow a genuinely exciting race for once?! Hamilton unlucky with the penalty although rules are the rules and especially when it comes down to safety there can be no flexibility really, although did seem like a double penalty having to take such a big penalty straight after the red flag.

Well done to Gasly must be a great vindication for him after he dumped off from Red Bull who don’t seem remotely interested in having 2 competitive drivers at all

Yes, well done Gasly, just about managed to hold off Sainz jnr.

Hamilton picks up some points though, plus a point for the fastest lap. So not too bad after the pitlane mistake.

Wow a genuinely exciting race for once?! Hamilton unlucky with the penalty although rules are the rules and especially when it comes down to safety there can be no flexibility really, although did seem like a double penalty having to take such a big penalty straight after the red flag.

Well done to Gasly must be a great vindication for him after he dumped off from Red Bull who don’t seem remotely interested in having 2 competitive drivers at all

Yes, agree on the double penalty, as he was over 10 seconds ahead. But as you say, the rules are the rules.

I just hate safety cars. You build a lead, only to see it wiped out by someone else's bad driving.
Yes they had a thing called virtual safety car for a while which keeps everyone at the same speed so no one gains or loses, but they haven’t seem to have used it this season. I guess the safety car does make it more exciting though as it does throw in some curveballs.