The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 91 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Do any of the folk that run 5K have high heart rates when doing so?

I've almost completed week 4 (out of 9) of my C25K plan - today was 5min Run / 3 walk / 5 run / 3 walk / 5 run totalling a touch over 3km.

The thing is I've been reading up on heart rates and my max heart rate should be around 168 (I'm 52).
I've then seen that jogging should be averaging about 80-85% of that, so about 134-143.

For the little run above I averaged 162 and maxed out at 185 bpm. Heart rate monitor is wrist based but I have no reason not to trust it - it matches with my blood pressure monitor.

I'm not overly concerned as I remember hitting 205 bpm when jogging years ago - that was measured with a chest strap.

It just seems quite high, particularly as my resting heart rate has been 49 bpm at times this week.

Also, I feel like if I try to run slower than I am I would literally be walking.

Probably just a sign of how unfit I am at the moment and a reiteration of the need to lose a few stone.

Still, all is going well exercise and diet-wise.

Well yes and no , but to be honest I only ever bother about my personal time as I never threaten any of the records anyway. It will understandably anger a few though.

Funnily enough there was a bit of a protest at Cannon Hill last Saturday about this issue but I didn't realise that Park Run and done what they had dome. Yaramouchi also ran and no one knew she was there !!!

Did she do the fandango?.

I'm not a happy chappy. Haven't been to the gym for two months and I look like it. Started sleeping badly too, I think it's from the lack of exercise.

I'm going hiking tomorrow and then I'll hit the gym for some weights after it if I can muster the energy.

Last edited:
I'm not a happy chappy. Haven't been to the gym for two months and I look like. Started sleeping badly too, I think it's from the lack of exercise.

I'm going hiking tomorrow and then I'll hit the gym for some weights after it if I can muster the energy.
Not if I can.

Just fucking do it.

Tough run today. Had five lots of blood taken yesterday evening for stroke follow up analysis, plus PSA test. Doubt that had any effect. Grasping at straws. 😁

Tough run today. Had five lots of blood taken yesterday evening for stroke follow up analysis, plus PSA test. Doubt that had any effect. Grasping at straws. 😁
I may do. Depends on how much blood they took. I struggle for a couple of days after I have give blood. That is a pint though. , but who knows ?

I may do. Depends on how much blood they took. I struggle for a couple of days after I have give blood. That is a pint though. , but who knows ?
In total six of the standard vials when doing a blood test. That is not a pint.

My weight has been 81.4kg now since early January so I think I've cracked the eating-to-exercise balance. I now intend to do weights to get rid of the bingo wings that the massive weight loss has left me with.
I have 2 or 3 kgs I can play with but nothing I couldn't lose in a month if I wanted to. Now is about toning, I look ok in a compression shirt and shorts but flabby without them.
Kettlebell swing workouts are good but because of the operations, I'm reluctant to do them until the Doc ok's me.
It's a shock being weak as I am as I've always had natural strong arms and legs from doing manual jobs but couldn't pick my 20kg kettlebell up these days never mind swing it, that is how weak weight loss has left me.
Hopefully, I'll get the nod at the end of this month to start some more serious stuff. I have to realise I'm 66 not 36 and be a bit sensible, after all if you regularly have to lift over 25kg in a day you are supposed to use a hoist under Health and safety regs. Not that it stopped me at 26 or 36 walking the length of a workshop carrying a cast iron diesel engine block, with shouts of "use the fcuking trolley you mad bar steward from the rest of the lads!

Yes and actually lower weights but done slowly (veeeerrrrry slowly) can be magnificent. For instance with a bicep curl do the up motion normal, controlled (no shaking, moving your back backwards to strain the weights into the up position) and then flex the muscle, picture you are forcing blood into them, and lower to the count of……

And that is up to you to judge and see how you get on

Seriously meaning a controlled drop between 4-10 seconds

It is wonderful as Steff would also have advised.

And do remember, like we all don’t (!) the start feels ridiculous, so you push and end up doubled up with the cramping pain the day or so after. DOMS.

There is no need. Proper form. No swinging weights around to perform (badly perform) whatever the exercise motion is, controlled and concentrate on yourself. Doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing, or what weights they are lifting. Even at my best , which was 14 stone and under 10% body fat ripped to bits, I didn’t give a fig what the guy next to me was doing. We all have strengths in different areas anyway (for some deadlifts are their best, others chest press etc and so on)

And your body does need recovery time as well. That helps the muscles grow/tone

Also, I feel like if I try to run slower than I am I would literally be walking.
If you read up on low heart rate running (MAF plans) it does say that older beginner runners 60+ and those who are very unfit when they start to run will spend a lot of time walking to keep within the parameters of the training plan. Three months apparently before seeing any real benefits of it, but apparently worth it in the long run. I sympathize buggy, at 72, if I subtract my age from 180 bpm, which is the figure everyone uses, thats108, plus 5, can't remember why, that's 118bpm. At this rate I am running for about two minutes before my bpm is 118. You then slow down or walk until your bpm fall back to 108, then go again. Have to confess I have really struggled to do it and have gone back to running at a pace at which I am comfortable.

Last edited:
Yes and actually lower weights but done slowly (veeeerrrrry slowly) can be magnificent. For instance with a bicep curl do the up motion normal, controlled (no shaking, moving your back backwards to strain the weights into the up position) and then flex the muscle, picture you are forcing blood into them, and lower to the count of……

And that is up to you to judge and see how you get on

Seriously meaning a controlled drop between 4-10 seconds

It is wonderful as Steff would also have advised.

And do remember, like we all don’t (!) the start feels ridiculous, so you push and end up doubled up with the cramping pain the day or so after. DOMS.

There is no need. Proper form. No swinging weights around to perform (badly perform) whatever the exercise motion is, controlled and concentrate on yourself. Doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing, or what weights they are lifting. Even at my best , which was 14 stone and under 10% body fat ripped to bits, I didn’t give a fig what the guy next to me was doing. We all have strengths in different areas anyway (for some deadlifts are their best, others chest press etc and so on)

And your body does need recovery time as well. That helps the muscles grow/tone
Yes, I saw a programme about weights and doing it slowly and this is what I try and do.
I've been to a couple of Gyms and watched the younger blokes ripping into it like it's a speed contest. I knew I was correct in doing it slowly and in the correct form.

I'm not a happy chappy. Haven't been to the gym for two months and I look like it. Started sleeping badly too, I think it's from the lack of exercise.

I’ve had pretty much a month off now due to shoulder injury and I feel awful. Plus I’ve shrank, hate it.