The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 92 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

I fucking did it.

I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't received the motivation from you. Cheers, mate.
Well done. Do you feel better for it?

Some days I seriously have to have strong words with myself.... For a good hour sometimes while my brain tries to imagine excuses. Then after I feel great. Some of my best workouts and 10k times have been on days where I really couldn't be bothered.

Some days I seriously have to have strong words with myself.... For a good hour sometimes while my brain tries to imagine excuses. Then after I feel great. Some of my best workouts and 10k times have been on days where I really couldn't be bothered.

Not yet. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll definitely sleep better tonight.

It sucks.

Can you do any other forms of exercise to keep your fitness up?
I’ve been back training my legs the past week and have been doing some cardio. I’ll see what the physio says but I will look to introduce some upper body this week, probably just arms, the week after some back.

I’ve started some physio myself the past week and the area is starting to improve.

I’ve been back training my legs the past week and have been doing some cardio. I’ll see what the physio says but I will look to introduce some upper body this week, probably just arms, the week after some back.

I’ve started some physio myself the past week and the area is starting to improve.

Sometimes really good to rest one area, ie upper body, and concentrate on another area. So there is a little positive side to it!

Totally agree with this one. The mental barrier is so hard sometimes. Giving up alcohol has helped me, my body is able to recover much better.

8 mile run this morning at a pace where we could have a chat. People laugh when I say it's relaxing , but it really is.
Sounds wonderful. Just looked up Ron Cattle. Those times are unbelievable for his age and great disregarding his age. The 10k times hold up aswell. Do you have any other older runners doing those times, or is he a one off.

Sounds wonderful. Just looked up Ron Cattle. Those times are unbelievable for his age and great disregarding his age. The 10k times hold up aswell. Do you have any other older runners doing those times, or is he a one off.
Well he is a one off , he's one of the fastest in the country in his age category. There is a chap there called Alan Pope who is 85 and does it in about 35 minutes which is brilliant.

By the way Ron has done a half marathon in Barcelona this morning in 1.34 . Absolutely incredible.

Well he is a one off , he's one of the fastest in the country in his age category. There is a chap there called Alan Pope who is 85 and does it in about 35 minutes which is brilliant.

By the way Ron has done a half marathon in Barcelona this morning in 1.34 . Absolutely incredible.
That's absolutely awesome. 1.34.
If ever I find it hard going Alan Pope will spur me on. 85 and doing that time. Fantastic.

I used to have an icy cold coke zero every day. I packed it up about the same time I started running and substituted for tap water. I noticed that within a week or so the heartburn I was getting stopped. Today my son and I have loaded 7 dumpy bags and 21 plastic bags of garden stuff into his van for the dump. This involves walking up a steep slope every time you go to the van. Previous to restarting the running I would have been blowing a bit. Not today though, so the running obviously has additional benefits.

good on ya, i nearly lost my daughter, she was addicted to it, ended up with an ulcerated stomach, now she has something to do with severn athletic in gloucester and running marathons,, i thinks she gets it from me,,lol seanie

Do any of the folk that run 5K have high heart rates when doing so?

I've almost completed week 4 (out of 9) of my C25K plan - today was 5min Run / 3 walk / 5 run / 3 walk / 5 run totalling a touch over 3km.

The thing is I've been reading up on heart rates and my max heart rate should be around 168 (I'm 52).
I've then seen that jogging should be averaging about 80-85% of that, so about 134-143.

For the little run above I averaged 162 and maxed out at 185 bpm. Heart rate monitor is wrist based but I have no reason not to trust it - it matches with my blood pressure monitor.

I'm not overly concerned as I remember hitting 205 bpm when jogging years ago - that was measured with a chest strap.

It just seems quite high, particularly as my resting heart rate has been 49 bpm at times this week.

Also, I feel like if I try to run slower than I am I would literally be walking.

Probably just a sign of how unfit I am at the moment and a reiteration of the need to lose a few stone.

Still, all is going well exercise and diet-wise.

I would ditch the wrist heart rate if I was you, a couple of years ago I was doing a lot of longer distance Z2 running and the one thing I noticed was that the heart rate was never quite right, I had to basically slow down to a walk to get it into Z2 and I knew it wasn’t right. From my own observation it was like it was tracking my cadence rather than the HR and from a bit of online research after it was confirmed. It’s something to do with the wrist heart rate using light to read the blood flow, might be worth googling it as there’ll be something online that can explain it better than me.

I bought myself a Polar H10 (Meant to be the most accurate) for around £60 and the first run I used it on I pretty much had a straight line for 10 miles running Z2, way more accurate and not at all erratic, actually feels real time whereas the wrist HR seems to have a bit of a delay. I’ve also used wrist HR in the gym and after doing heavy deadlifts it thinks I’m chilling and about a minute later it catches up. Wear the Polar strap for everything now, for what it costs it’s a good bit of kit.

I would ditch the wrist heart rate if I was you, a couple of years ago I was doing a lot of longer distance Z2 running and the one thing I noticed was that the heart rate was never quite right, I had to basically slow down to a walk to get it into Z2 and I knew it wasn’t right. From my own observation it was like it was tracking my cadence rather than the HR and from a bit of online research after it was confirmed. It’s something to do with the wrist heart rate using light to read the blood flow, might be worth googling it as there’ll be something online that can explain it better than me.

I bought myself a Polar H10 (Meant to be the most accurate) for around £60 and the first run I used it on I pretty much had a straight line for 10 miles running Z2, way more accurate and not at all erratic, actually feels real time whereas the wrist HR seems to have a bit of a delay. I’ve also used wrist HR in the gym and after doing heavy deadlifts it thinks I’m chilling and about a minute later it catches up. Wear the Polar strap for everything now, for what it costs it’s a good bit of kit.
Was contemplating jumping back to Garmin (they have a golf watch that'd be great for me) and a chest strap.

I'm using a Samsung 4 series atm which is good for a lot of things. I'll ignore the hrm stats for now and rethink it all once I'm a few more months into things.

Was contemplating jumping back to Garmin (they have a golf watch that'd be great for me) and a chest strap.

I'm using a Samsung 4 series atm which is good for a lot of things. I'll ignore the hrm stats for now and rethink it all once I'm a few more months into things.

I’ve used a Garmin instinct solar for a few years now, I’m not sure if some watches/manufacturers are better than others with regards to wrist heart rate but if you want consistent results then the chest strap is the way to go. Never notice it’s there tbh, the only time I ever have was when I ran a sweaty marathon with a hydration pack on.

I’ve used a Garmin instinct solar for a few years now, I’m not sure if some watches/manufacturers are better than others with regards to wrist heart rate but if you want consistent results then the chest strap is the way to go. Never notice it’s there tbh, the only time I ever have was when I ran a sweaty marathon with a hydration pack on.
I had a chest band with a Garmin Forerunner (405?) many years ago when they didn't even have colour screens. It was fine with it on and didn't really notice it as you say, but I'm a Sweaty Betty when exercising and it got soaked. It was a good job it was waterproof and could be used in a pool!

I use a Garmin which is very good when the GPS is on. The steps and distance when GPS isn't on are way out though. Never really measured heart rate tbh.

I had a chest band with a Garmin Forerunner (405?) many years ago when they didn't even have colour screens. It was fine with it on and didn't really notice it as you say, but I'm a Sweaty Betty when exercising and it got soaked. It was a good job it was waterproof and could be used in a pool!

The only problem I’ve had with mine was probably due to it not being tight enough, it slipped a little when I was really sweaty and it ended up cutting into to me (Not helped by wearing a bag) but I didn’t realise until I was finished. Still have a bit of scar from it 🤦🏻‍♂️