The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 89 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

I'm posting this not for any real feedback or to 'show off' but because putting it down somewhere will give me a mental boost as I'm the sort of person that will be pissed off that I'm not yet running solid 5Ks than being happy I'm now on week 4 of the C25K and still going.

So,

I've just done week 4 of the C25K. Was hard tonight having done weights yesterday. My legs were a little tender and I felt a little tired. I started the run, gave up after 2 mins and started walking back home, got pissed off with myself and turned around and started again, then added an extra 5 mins run to the end, too.

I bought some cheap dumbbells and barbell and have done 2 sessions from a 12 week beginner program this week.

Meal prepped 10 chilli & rice meals, 4 chicken and veg meals and got them in the freezer.

Drank no Diet Coke for over a week. Actually, had a couple of black coffees per day and water only.

Still doing golf a couple of times a week.

Feeling good in myself and getting the lungs moving again.

The weight is also starting to shift.

Still hitting around 1000 cals a day which I know is limiting the exercise a bit (running the day after golf is a killer. running the day after running is easier).
This is temporary though and over time I'll start upping the calories a little as the exercise builds up. For now though I'm coping.

Like I say, I'm posting this just for the mental boost to myself. The main thing is just to keep going.

I'm posting this not for any real feedback or to 'show off' but because putting it down somewhere will give me a mental boost as I'm the sort of person that will be pissed off that I'm not yet running solid 5Ks than being happy I'm now on week 4 of the C25K and still going.

So,

I've just done week 4 of the C25K. Was hard tonight having done weights yesterday. My legs were a little tender and I felt a little tired. I started the run, gave up after 2 mins and started walking back home, got pissed off with myself and turned around and started again, then added an extra 5 mins run to the end, too.

I bought some cheap dumbbells and barbell and have done 2 sessions from a 12 week beginner program this week.

Meal prepped 10 chilli & rice meals, 4 chicken and veg meals and got them in the freezer.

Drank no Diet Coke for over a week. Actually, had a couple of black coffees per day and water only.

Still doing golf a couple of times a week.

Feeling good in myself and getting the lungs moving again.

The weight is also starting to shift.

Still hitting around 1000 cals a day which I know is limiting the exercise a bit (running the day after golf is a killer. running the day after running is easier).
This is temporary though and over time I'll start upping the calories a little as the exercise builds up. For now though I'm coping.

Like I say, I'm posting this just for the mental boost to myself. The main thing is just to keep going.
Really impressed mate. Keep at it. In my 30s 40s I was an ok ish runner. 8 min mls normal pace, just under 7 min race pace. I am about ten , twelve weeks back into it at 72 following a stroke last year. Haven't run in all the inteviening years. It's bloody hard work. I've managed the 5k but could probably have crawled quicker. However I feel better for it and most importantly I am really enjoying lacing up the running shoes again. It's like being back in the dressing room before a game. Yes, pathetic I know, but I'm just so grateful to be able to get out there and as the weather improves and we head into Spring it will get even better. It's not all hard work, some of the runs are beginning to flow and that feels good again. Stick with it mate, it does get easier.
Edit. I also packed up the Coke Zero that I had every evening and substituted for tap water. Heartburn stopped within a week and felt much better without it.

Just remember 3500 calorie deficit equals 1 lb, weight loss, log it on a spreadsheet and keep track of it. Turn it into a "hobby" but make sure it's something that you can keep up for life, Sensible eating and sensible exercise. Oh, and every single person has a different metabolic rate and a different body.
Some people are naturally fat and some skinny, most are in between
Weight loss should be about 1 to 2 lb a week

Went out with wife and dog this morning for a nice walk in the woods. Started car, keyless start, and wife said have you got dogs water, no, so went back into house and got water. Drive to where we were going, got out, come to lock car, no fob. Suddenly realized that I had left it in the kitchen after going back for dog water. Bollocks. Unable to lock or restart car. Today was going to be a rest day, however the only thing for it was to go cross country all the way back home. No national records broken, but the distance turned out to be almost exactly 5k. It was a slow 41 .8 minutes but given that this was cross country, including some huge hills I'm delighted with that. Was going to leg it back again but had to pass the taxi rank so jumped into one of those. Good day after all, and a lesson learned the hard way.

Last edited:
Went out with wife and dog this morning for a nice walk in the woods. Started car, keyless start, and wife said have you got dogs water, no, so went back into house and got water. Drive to where we were going, got out, come to lock car, no keys. Suddenly realized that I had left
Suddenly you realized that you had not finished your vital villa post?

Went out with wife and dog this morning for a nice walk in the woods. Started car, keyless start, and wife said have you got dogs water, no, so went back into house and got water. Drive to where we were going, got out, come to lock car, no fob. Suddenly realized that I had left it in the kitchen after going back for dog water. Bollocks. Unable to lock or restart car. Today was going to be a rest day, however the only thing for it was to go cross country all the way back home. No national records broken, but the distance turned out to be almost exactly 5k. It was a slow 41 .8 minutes but given that this was cross country, including some huge hills I'm delighted with that. Was going to leg it back again but had to pass the taxi rank so jumped into one of those. Good day after all, and a lesson learned the hard way.
I know loads of 40 year olds, school kids and younger people who couldn't run 5k.

Everything for me is going bad to worse. I suspect some kind damage to the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I felt some discomfort in it a few weeks ago and today I went back to the gym after a 2 and half week break and I felt more discomfort. I've booked in an ultrasound for Monday to see what is up.

Very frustrating, my hunch is that I face months out from doing any sort of upper body lifting. Perhaps I will use this as a chance to dial in cardio a lot more.

Everything for me is going bad to worse. I suspect some kind damage to the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I felt some discomfort in it a few weeks ago and today I went back to the gym after a 2 and half week break and I felt more discomfort. I've booked in an ultrasound for Monday to see what is up.

Very frustrating, my hunch is that I face months out from doing any sort of upper body lifting. Perhaps I will use this as a chance to dial in cardio a lot more.
And welcome to not being in your twenties anymore. Isn't it great.

Having spent the last 12 months unable to breathe properly (recently diagnosed as long covid) I've not been able to exercise like I wanted to, only playing golf.

I put on 4 stone and am less fit and generally weaker than I've ever been (by some margin).

Hospital have told me to start using my lungs again and generally get myself fit.

On Jan 2nd I started dieting to shift the weight - calorie controlled diet, having no more than 1100 calories a day.

On top of that I'm back to playing golf twice a week, have been doing couch to 5k (now 2 weeks in to that) and have been walking between 4-8km most days. Basically I'm shifting myself every day in some capacity to get the lungs back into action.

I'm a bit pissed off however that in three weeks I've lost only 2lb. I've been careful with the food and just to double check I wasn't missing something I've logged the last week into MyFitnessPal and all is as I expected. No mis-steps.

I drink a lot of Diet Coke - litres a day - which I'm stopping from today to see if that has had an impact. I don't see how with minimal calories but I'll give water a shot for a couple of weeks to see if there's any change.

Staying positive atm.
stay away from the diet cokes mate, a recipe for an ulcerated stomach,,seanie

Tweaked mine last year and it really bloody hurt.

Like a pro body builder says. You have to separate real foods from edible foods.

Some foods you can ram down your throat....but they are just a bunch of chemicals that are not good for you.

And real foods what mankind have lived on for 1000s of years.

There has to be a reason why cancer has gone from 1/4 to 1/2 in a short space of time.

It's not smoking because that has reduced. It's not drinking because that has reduced. It's the bullshit processed food we eat and all the sugar and god knows what else.

Like a pro body builder says. You have to separate real foods from edible foods.

Some foods you can ram down your throat....but they are just a bunch of chemicals that are not good for you.

There has to be a reason why cancer has gone from 1/4 to 1/2 in a short space of time.

It's not smoking because that has reduced. It's not drinking because that has reduced. It's the bullshit processed food we eat and all the sugar and god knows what else.
I think the lack of fiber in modern diets is also a contributing factor, people do not eat anywhere near enough fruit and veg.

Yes since my Gastric operation, which has altered my sense of taste I can taste the salt in everything. Bacon I can't eat and even a Gregg sausage roll is so salty I can't eat it. It's like someone has emptied a salt cellar on the food.

Lousy run. Knew it would be. I am not a morning person. Mrs wittonite has x-ray appointment this afternoon.. so it's her fault.😂😂

Yes since my Gastric operation, which has altered my sense of taste I can taste the salt in everything. Bacon I can't eat and even a Gregg sausage roll is so salty I can't eat it. It's like someone has emptied a salt cellar on the food.
I do all the cooking mate and I have weaned them off salt. Nobody moans now. Horrible stuff.

Lousy run. Knew it would be. I am not a morning person. Mrs wittonite has x-ray appointment this afternoon.. so it's her fault.😂😂
Strange how certain times of the day suit people.

I'm a morning person and love an early morning run. In the week with work I have to run in the evenings , but I run much better at weekends in the morning.

I had an ultrasound on my left shoulder this morning, the great news is that there is absolutely no tearing to the rotator cuff. The issue I have as a subacromial bursopathy which appears to cause impingement when in very specific positions with weight in my hands.

I'm currently arranging physio therapy. Has anyone on here had this issue?

Strange how certain times of the day suit people.

I'm a morning person and love an early morning run. In the week with work I have to run in the evenings , but I run much better at weekends in the morning.
With my job I always had 1pm to 4pm as my time. My runs were always done at those times. This is why I haven't done much group running, because everything seems to be well before that or evening time, and it's a real struggle.