The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 62 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

45 mins of Gym work tonight and despite being as unfit as I've ever been I've kept up with blokes 15 or more years younger than me.
I'm quite proud of myself.
As for the lifestyle/diet side of the course, I could actually take the lesson but managed in the main to shut up and listen, which is difficult when you know more that the person running the course

JF is also right about weights etc. I do a kettlebell routine 2 or 3 times a week and sine I started doing that about 3 years ago it has strengthened my core so much it's untrue. Won't bore you any longer but if you want any more advice I am only to happy to help.

Yes, I know for a fact there is no way on earth I would have got up Ben Nevis if I hadn't trained legs and glutes plus core over the years. I had had a good 'run' in the gym before trying Ben Nevis. It was still very difficult, I have to be honest with myself, I'm disabled (just don't think it/refer it to myself) but without that form of training there was no way the legs wouldn't have given out on me.

I was pleased those few years back when you started to notice the change with some weights, i know a lot of runners worry weight training will affect them adversely but of course, it doesn't *unless you train wrong!

mins of Gym work tonight and despite being as unfit as I've ever been I've kept up with blokes 15 or more years younger than me.
I'm quite proud of myself.
As for the lifestyle/diet side of the course, I could actually take the lesson but managed in the main to shut up and listen, which is difficult when you know more that the person running the course

Great stuff. Also, as a retired person, it is something to focus on, which is superb mentally isn't it?

And yes, some of the knowledge is very basic from people isn't it? Although, sometimes people present it in a basic form in order not to confuse the listener I guess. I do remember years ago a trainer telling me about muscle turning to fat. I couldn't not correct it in the end, because it is just physically impossible. An arm doesn't turn into a leg. Fat cannot turn into muscle and vice versa, they are two totally different substances!

Great stuff. Also, as a retired person, it is something to focus on, which is superb mentally isn't it?

And yes, some of the knowledge is very basic from people isn't it? Although, sometimes people present it in a basic form in order not to confuse the listener I guess. I do remember years ago a trainer telling me about muscle turning to fat. I couldn't not correct it in the end, because it is just physically impossible. An arm doesn't turn into a leg. Fat cannot turn into muscle and vice versa, they are two totally different substances!

Yes, I've been under Heartlands Hospital on and off (due to Covid) for over 4 years learning about diet and lifestyle, with a view to avoiding Bariatric surgery.

The lad last night was reading stuff off his phone and is a fitness guy, not a dietitian. The stuff he was telling us was basically what we have had drummed into us from various media sources over the last 20 years.

To be honest, at 18st I'm probably the biggest and oldest on the Villa Fit course, when I was at Heartlands I was the smallest and oldest. These Lads in the main last night are 2 to 3 stone over weight which is not life-threatening.

My BMI is now 36.7 which is under the 40+bmi needed to "qualify" for Bariatric surgery. Not that I want surgery but it was an option at the time, If I thought it would work I'd stump up the £10k and go private.

Having listened to the Consultant at Heartlands, for my situation it would only lose 50% of my excess weight and as he said I'd already proven I could do that with diet. You still have to diet after surgery plus you are on tablets etc for life ie vitamin supplements. It's not a miracle l cure.
Most of the Heartland group I was in made me feel like Twiggy and I was a little embarrassed to be there, these were 25 to 30 stone people and all bar 1 other bloke were all female.

I've managed to turn dieting into one of my obsessions or as some people call them Hobbies.
Going to Villa Park really helps as it's my church, my happy place if you like.

Yes, massive operation that, seen and read a good few things on it (not as much as you will have, I'm sure) and really is last resort stuff isn't it, as you say, not a miracle cure...

Yes, I've been under Heartlands Hospital on and off (due to Covid) for over 4 years learning about diet and lifestyle, with a view to avoiding Bariatric surgery.

The lad last night was reading stuff off his phone and is a fitness guy, not a dietitian. The stuff he was telling us was basically what we have had drummed into us from various media sources over the last 20 years.

To be honest, at 18st I'm probably the biggest and oldest on the Villa Fit course, when I was at Heartlands I was the smallest and oldest. These Lads in the main last night are 2 to 3 stone over weight which is not life-threatening.

My BMI is now 36.7 which is under the 40+bmi needed to "qualify" for Bariatric surgery. Not that I want surgery but it was an option at the time, If I thought it would work I'd stump up the £10k and go private.

Having listened to the Consultant at Heartlands, for my situation it would only lose 50% of my excess weight and as he said I'd already proven I could do that with diet. You still have to diet after surgery plus you are on tablets etc for life ie vitamin supplements. It's not a miracle l cure.
Most of the Heartland group I was in made me feel like Twiggy and I was a little embarrassed to be there, these were 25 to 30 stone people and all bar 1 other bloke were all female.

I've managed to turn dieting into one of my obsessions or as some people call them Hobbies.
Going to Villa Park really helps as it's my church, my happy place if you like.

That just subscribes to my theory that exercise should be prescribed more widely by the NHS. The money and time it would save would be massive I would think.

That just subscribes to my theory that exercise should be prescribed more widely by the NHS. The money and time it would save would be massive I would think.

Yes, I think diet and exercise have been done to death to the point it's like telling a smoker or drinker to give it up, it goes in one ear and out the other.

I don't understand Smokers or drinkers, just as they probably don't understand people like me who comfort eat.
I had an overactive thyroid back in the mid-'90s, it's been knocked out with radioactive iodine treatment. I take 150mg of thyroxine every day and have a yearly check on it via a blood test. Apparently, it is correct but since having my thyroid knocked out my weight has ballooned by about an average of 4 stone. So is it correct?

The thyroid is a serious bit of kit it controls your whole metabolism, hence some people are naturally skinny snd some naturally fat even if they eat the same diet.
I've had free prescriptions since I was late 30's because I'm on thyroxine that's how serious it is. I guarantee if I said I had a weight problem due to thyroid problems to most people, their reaction would be "oh yeah any excuse you're just a fat fecker"

I was reading about the 10k steps a day goal, apparently, this was something the Japs brought about in the '60s because they were getting fat like Americans and sitting watching baseball on tv.
The new science is 3 x 10 mins fast walks a day, not 10k steps, which makes far more sense to me than walking ok steps or 5 miles a day. Especially as I no longer go to work.
There is a massive difference between being a couple of stone overweight and being morbidly obese. You have to lose weight to get to a level where you can exercise, if you are just a couple of stone overweight go for it, in fact, if I was 14 stone I'd be "over the moon" but according to the BMI stats I's be 2 stone overweight
I haven't been 12st since I was 19 and I played football in Cofton Park for an hour a day back then .

I think the bottom line is we are all very different just like our fingerprints.

Morning 57. Love it.

Where we go is at the back of the boxes in the Doug Ellis stand, you get to see how the other half watch football.
The gym is very small just about big enough for 6 people to use at a time. Nothing like you'd imagine, it's all well-used stuff. It is however only us using it and we are all overweight unfit people, no gym bunnies or wannabe Arnies. Just normal people which is why I'll stick out the next ten sessions. I've yet to break into a sweat unlike some of those who are younger than me.

Where we go is at the back of the boxes in the Doug Ellis stand, you get to see how the other half watch football.
The gym is very small just about big enough for 6 people to use at a time. Nothing like you'd imagine, it's all well-used stuff. It is however only us using it and we are all overweight unfit people, no gym bunnies or wannabe Arnies. Just normal people which is why I'll stick out the next ten sessions. I've yet to break into a sweat unlike some of those who are younger than me.
Have watched from boxes in years gone by, it's crap, and would never replace a seat up the Holte. Only ever gone in one as a last resort.
Really pleased you are giving it a good go mate, stick with it, I am sure you will feel the benefits of your labours, and come to enjoy it.

Have watched from boxes in years gone by, it's crap, and would never replace a seat up the Holte. Only ever gone in one as a last resort.
Really pleased you are giving it a good go mate, stick with it, I am sure you will feel the benefits of your labours, and come to enjoy it.

The best boxes are those with seating outside the box for when the game is being played.

Managed to shift another 2.1 kg this week which is 4.6lbs, I've moved the scales 3 times to different tiles on the bathroom floor just to make sure it's not a false reading. I can only record the figures I get I suppose.

This is after breakfast that consisted of 150ml or grams of Mevgal full-fat Greek yoghurt with a heaped teaspoon of Whole earth crunchy peanut butter mixed in.
That's about 260 calories but only 11 grams of carbs. 14% carbs. ( this Samsung phone is just brilliant for recoding and measuring health figures) Obviously, it can't do blood pressure or weight but it measures everything else.

The science is my body is now burning fat as a fuel and not carbs, hence the weight drop. My blood sugar has been a consistent 5,8 average this week and my blood pressure 114/70. It used to be 140/80 not so long ago even with the tablet I take.
Doc told me if it ever gets below 110 to stop the blood pressure tablet, which obviously is one of my goals.

I'm at a point now where I'm eating to live and not living to eat, hence eating some strange breakfast just to get the right balance of low carbs, higher fat and protein