The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 61 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

15kg gone now in 7 weeks since I started to get serious.
Villa Park Monday night for their fitness do dah, dressed as Under Armour man.

Fabulous, really pleased you decided to go down this route, as opposed to just accepting medication. Bravo sir, bravo.

Did my first Villa Fit session tonight in the David Targett suite. Mostly form filling weight and measurements . Introduction to the Gym which I did with ease really. All legs and arm stuff so pretty easy for me.
3 people running it working for the Villa foundation and none of them support Villa and the one is a Cov season ticket holder :shake:

I've had a valuable lesson in hydration this week. I've been feeling tired lately and even felt rough during the game on Saturday. On Monday I played golf and felt tired and a bit breathless before I started. As the round went on I felt more tired and started to feel faint and dizzy. This scared the shit out of me because I thought I was on the verge of a heart attack: ( my dad died of a heart attack playing golf) I spoke to my doctor and he called me in for blood pressure checks and blood samples.
On Tuesday he rang me and said the blood tests revealed slight anaemia but a dramatic plunge in kidney function so he sent me into hospital for more blood tests and a chest Xray. The X-ray showed nothing amiss but the blood showed that my kidney function was back to normal. The conclusion was that I was severely dehydrated. I spoke to my local pharmacist today to review my medications and she went in great length on the importance of drinking plenty of water. Four or five cups of tea or coffee a day doesn't cut it. The dehydrating effects of alcohol negates the tea and coffee. I never realised what effect dehydration has on the kidney function and how that impacts on so many different areas of your body and organs. I am now a convert to the benefits of pure water in copious amounts.

5km in just over 25 mins, which is frustrating as I’m struggling to get below that time
Still decent time.
Sirdennis will be able to give you better advice on this.
But what I do to improve my times is....
1. Get your breathing right from the first second. Don't wait until you are out of breath until you get a good breathing pattern. Do it from the first stride.
2. Once a week do some hill runs. So find a challenging incline. Run up as fast as you can.... Then jog down slowly to recover. Then run back up as fast as possible and repeat for as long as you can.
3. Go through the pain barrier. I'm sure you can beat your time if you REALLY wanted to. Are you collapsed on the finish line? If not you have some in the tank still to go.
Pain is good for the soul.
Just repeat to yourself when it hurts ... 'this is just my mind lying to me to get out of doing it'
Smash it.

5km in just over 25 mins, which is frustrating as I’m struggling to get below that time

It is a decent time Dan . Doing just over 8 minute miles is fair going. I am doing a 5k park run at the moment at 24 mins give or take.

Loads of factors can improve your time , but it depends on a few things.

I reckon if I did a 5k on my own I wouldn't do 24 mins . Doing a park run every weekI makes a massive difference when you are running with other people in a "race" type setting , I can't fail to get competitive and invariably you end up running as fast as possible. Because it's a timed event you are always going up against something . Beleive me if you did a Park Run next week you would beat 25 mins.

Also a lot depends on the type of training you are doing. I began doing intervals once a week in February. I reckon my average 5K time then was about 25.30 not I am around 24 every week. Funnily enough I am thinking of tweaking my training because I want to get to 23.30 regularly.

For intervals I run to a local park (about two miles) One lap of the lake there is about 0.6 mils so I do 2 or 3 laps of that absolutely flat out maximum effort with a minute rest in between then run back home. It's made a massive difference.

Just for the record as well I am doing 4 runs a week totalling 25-28 miles including the 2 runs above.

JF is also right about weights etc. I do a kettlebell routine 2 or 3 times a week and sine I started doing that about 3 years ago it has strengthened my core so much it's untrue. Won't bore you any longer but if you want any more advice I am only to happy to help.

By the way I did a 10k race yesterday in 53.26 average pace 8 mins 30 secs per mile Not bad for 57 even if I say so myself. Floated round most of the way after Saturday lol

I'm going to enquire about football tonight whilst I'm at the Villa fit thing apparently something goes on in the Sid Cowans suite on a Wednesday evening and it's under the same scheme as the Villa fit thing.
All a bit vague at the moment doesn't seem to get advertised. It was sort of mentioned in last weeks meeting.
I don't mind football because I can kick people , I like that;)

EFL fit fans is the workbook we are working to