The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 24 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

I get the train of thought that our players not playing during the international break is a good thing but really we need to get past that.

Big teams that compete at the top level have internationals in their squads and if we don't we're going to struggle. Players want to join clubs that can give them a good chance of getting international recognition. Within the last year we've had 2 players make their debuts for Brazil and 1 for Argentina. Heaton, Mings, Grealish have been called to the England squad. How long before Konsa, Watkins or Barkley are in the squad on current form?

Having a record of signing players and them getting international caps with us could be the difference between a player signing for us or another Premier league club. Yes it's a risk but its one that is necessary.
The real top clubs always manage to have internationals who are conveniently injured for friendly matches

Excellent article by Tom Collomose in today’s Daily Mail about our Douglas.
”I’m Bringing Brazilian Sunshine.”
If I could do the basic tech stuff I’d post the link.

Am I correct in thinking that Luiz cost £16million ?
and that Man City Buy Back is for £25million ?

If so, when we offer him the new contract, we will presumably buy out the Man City Buy Back contract
If we leave it to run they will pay the £25m & sell him for more [having already got £16m for him from us]
If we offer them £15m then it will, in effect, cost them £40m to buy him back [the £25 to buy him & the £15 they won't get from us] which would mean that they would have to sell him on for over £40m to make a profit.

In effect we would have paid £31m for him [original £16m + another £15m] which is good value.
If push came to shove I'd go for £20m more - he's easily a £36m player.

Only if Pep intends to play him & dump Rhodri would City demand him back or he want to go.

We're fixated on this buy back clause - how many buy back clauses are ever enacted. I know of a couple where they brought the player back to sell at a profit but it's not common place,

Think the £25m buy back was for last summer; next summer it will be higher. Unless his market value is significantly higher again I don't think Man C will bother. If it is, then we just pay the difference between the market value and the buy back amount.

Think the £25m buy back was for last summer; next summer it will be higher. Unless his market value is significantly higher again I don't think Man C will bother. If it is, then we just pay the difference between the market value and the buy back amount.

Pretty sure it was 25m last summer then 30m next summer, that's what all the rumours are anyway.

Just watching the Arsenal game again and the number of times Dougie was free and we ignored him and took a different route was noticeable.
He's a good footballer just give him the ball more, especially when he is on the edge of the box with nobody within 10yards of him.