The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

Sigh....
Buy back clause blah blah.

Looks like we have to go down this route again.

Duggie is going NOWHERE.

We bought him for 15m with 25m buyback this summer or 30m next summer if that's accurate.

What happens next summer and Man City want him back lodge a bid of the buyback clause and Luiz says he doesn't want to go and fails to agree personal terms, Is there a clause in his contract that already states an amount Luiz has already agreed for a salary if Man City go back and cannot refuse ?

I'm unsure how all this works, Obviously would love Luiz to stay and reject any move from Man City but is it as simple as that ? Seems a bit of a risk to me from Man City's side to have an arrogance that a player would simply join back up if there wasn't any agreement to do so.

Could Villa offer to buy him out of this buy back clause? This could be a way of keeping him if its possible. Telling Man City we'll give you another 30mil to buy him out and remove the clause

If they buy him back we have £30m towards buying him. Don’t think someone will pay £60m so we‘d be out of pocket a bit

He cost us 15m, even if we paid 30m on top that's 45m, I can see teams paying that now he's officially recognised in the Brazil team if he continues to have a good season with us, I still think he'll be one of the best players in Europe given a little more time, he's 3 years younger than Jack.

If you are talking 45m and we had that much to spend would you spend it on Luiz, or would you spend a good chunk of that with a good replacement and securing Barkley.

Obviously the best result is he has a good season gets unnoticed and we'll have players like Barkley, Grealish, Watkins and McGinn taking the lime light, I believe as long as they don't come in for him next summer he's completely ours.

He cost us 15m, even if we paid 30m on top that's 45m, I can see teams paying that now he's officially recognised in the Brazil team if he continues to have a good season with us, I still think he'll be one of the best players in Europe given a little more time, he's 3 years younger than Jack.

If you are talking 45m and we had that much to spend would you spend it on Luiz, or would you spend a good chunk of that with a good replacement and securing Barkley.

Obviously the best result is he has a good season gets unnoticed and we'll have players like Barkley, Grealish, Watkins and McGinn taking the lime light, I believe as long as they don't come in for him next summer he's completely ours.

Next summer they will spend all their money on Messi.

The grass isn’t always greener, Luiz is enjoying his time here, we are investing in the right areas - we could be better than arsenal and Tottenham if we go on a trajectory in the next few seasons. The stars seem to be lining up for us to be a top 8 club again, then we need to push on and become a top 6 and so on.

As for Luiz’s style of play or where he plays, I don’t see it as something that’s broke that need fixing.

Yes, he might play further forward for Brazil but his quality for us is his intelligence and how well he reads the game.

I want Jack, Barkley and occasionally SJM taking a chance and getting out of position to create a chance or get on the end of a cross.

If we train Luiz to do that, who covers? His picking up and passing of the ball, and how little free kicks he gives away - this second point is something I think is a massive plus point of his game, as it doesn’t put us under unnecessary pressure.

Looks like he played another 90 mins in their 2-4 win against Puru. Good for him good fro Brazil but I'm not sure it's good for Villa.Long Journey Home and all that.

Looks like he played another 90 mins in their 2-4 win against Puru. Good for him good fro Brazil but I'm not sure it's good for Villa.Long Journey Home and all that.

It’s a double edged sword because the likes of him and jack obviously have big aspirations to play internationally and that’s quite nice to see as much as I’m not that bothered about the international game anymore but that’s an England thing.

If they weren’t getting noticed or selected whilst playing in B6 I think that might tempt them to leave. Douglas Luis could go and play for PSG against French teams no better than Walsall most weeks, win every title going and get into every Brazil squad purely from who he plays for even though he’s developing more being here.

Hope he cadges a lift on the private jet that will bring Neymar and others back. Travel won't be so much of a problem then.

I get the train of thought that our players not playing during the international break is a good thing but really we need to get past that.

Big teams that compete at the top level have internationals in their squads and if we don't we're going to struggle. Players want to join clubs that can give them a good chance of getting international recognition. Within the last year we've had 2 players make their debuts for Brazil and 1 for Argentina. Heaton, Mings, Grealish have been called to the England squad. How long before Konsa, Watkins or Barkley are in the squad on current form?

Having a record of signing players and them getting international caps with us could be the difference between a player signing for us or another Premier league club. Yes it's a risk but its one that is necessary.