The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

Just watching the Arsenal game again and the number of times Dougie was free and we ignored him and took a different route was noticeable.
He's a good footballer just give him the ball more, especially when he is on the edge of the box with nobody within 10yards of him.

I've only watched the goals 5 times today.

Just watching the Arsenal game again and the number of times Dougie was free and we ignored him and took a different route was noticeable.
He's a good footballer just give him the ball more, especially when he is on the edge of the box with nobody within 10yards of him.

We play into dead ends sometimes, especially down the left but on the right, I think we're sometimes too quick to come inside.

I really don't have a problem if Man City come in for Doug this summer. I like Doug but he's not a great. If we can get £35m for him then stick another £10m in the kitty I'm quite sure we could get a significant upgrade.

I really don't have a problem if Man City come in for Doug this summer. I like Doug but he's not a great. If we can get £35m for him then stick another £10m in the kitty I'm quite sure we could get a significant upgrade.
Disagree completely Xchurch, sorry. Douglas is going to be world class, he's already starting for Brazil ahead of the likes of Fred, Fernandinho, Casemiro. I'm really worried about losing him and not being able to replace him in January.

£40m gets you Kalvin Philips these days, Luiz is twice the player, losing Luiz would be pretty bad for us.
Different position but people are suggesting Berkley would be about £40m which I would think would be right if not a little on the high side

Disagree completely Xchurch, sorry. Douglas is going to be world class, he's already starting for Brazil ahead of the likes of Fred, Fernandinho, Casemiro. I'm really worried about losing him and not being able to replace him in January.
As I said IDG I like Doug but he blows hot and cold

I'm pretty sure Man Cities buy back is 30m, Hope he stays, we better wish Rodri starts outperforming him because right now Luiz is twice the player and Man City fans are calling him a fraud.

Yeah totally agree but against Arsenal I thought he was absolutely magnificent and he seems to be enjoying himself which does make things slightly harder to replace.

Luiz is good going forward when the other two alongside him move up and get out of his space, and let him have that space 30 yards from the goal. His vision and ability on the ball is good enough to trust and it means the central players can support the front man.

Bar Petrov, I can’t think of many players who are better than Luiz in that position that we’ve had in my lifetime. I’m not putting Barry in that position as he was a bit more advanced than what Luiz plays.

Petrov was great for us and left a hero, I actually think Luiz has more talent which is the biggest compliment I can pay to Luiz.

Luiz will be missed if he goes, people don’t see half of what he does. At 1-0 he read the game, dropped in and cleared a dangerous cross - that would’ve changed the arsenal game. Even if he isn’t the greatest tackler, he breaks up a lot of play and stops a hell of a lot coming through the middle with his reading of the game. On his off days like Southampton, you see how bad it is for us when he isn’t performing.

Luiz is only just turning 22, and you're going to be happy with a 20MM return on our 15MM investment? Absolutely not, McGinn is barely worth 20MM, it is Luiz who is the uncut gem in Midfield.

Hustle and bustle and hard tackles easily deceive, for years people thought Nathan Baker was going to be John Terry reincarnated because he put his body on the line and had numerous tackles and blocks per game. All that told you was he positionally inept. Collins and Dunne were similar, amazing recovery defenders because they were often not positioned very well. Thats why Dunne had so many OGs.

Luiz is the most complete CM we've had in awhile - a great range of passing, good positioning relative to his experience, a great strike of the ball, comfortable on the ball, and willing to carrying the ball and receive it under pressure. No player is going to do what he does and seamlessly slot in for less than 50MM.

I don't know how you can reconcile City spending 35MM to bring back Luiz (22) to replace a player (24) they spent 60MM on and see that as a good outcome for Aston Villa Football Club. That scenario reinforces that it is a shocking outcome for us, we'll have lost potentially twice his value and have no replacement except for a player most think is pure dirt (hourihane or Marv - pick your poison).

I think all the premature speculation about whether Citeh will buy back Dougie is too early for me! I want to enjoy him playing in a Villa shirt for at least another six months before starting to worry about whether we will lose him and/or need a replacement. Based on what I just saw in the last transfer window I think we'll have options (not necessarily like-for-like replacements but players of equal ability), and based on the first two years of ownership, I'm not worried about who/what we can afford to make it happen....
Let's not forget that six months ago Dougie was seen as not yet up to speed. What that tells you is we also have the coaching structure in place to improve what we have (maybe Marv will become the next Kante?).

Luiz is only just turning 22, and you're going to be happy with a 20MM return on our 15MM investment? Absolutely not, McGinn is barely worth 20MM, it is Luiz who is the uncut gem in Midfield.

Hustle and bustle and hard tackles easily deceive, for years people thought Nathan Baker was going to be John Terry reincarnated because he put his body on the line and had numerous tackles and blocks per game. All that told you was he positionally inept. Collins and Dunne were similar, amazing recovery defenders because they were often not positioned very well. Thats why Dunne had so many OGs.

Luiz is the most complete CM we've had in awhile - a great range of passing, good positioning relative to his experience, a great strike of the ball, comfortable on the ball, and willing to carrying the ball and receive it under pressure. No player is going to do what he does and seamlessly slot in for less than 50MM.

I don't know how you can reconcile City spending 35MM to bring back Luiz (22) to replace a player (24) they spent 60MM on and see that as a good outcome for Aston Villa Football Club. That scenario reinforces that it is a shocking outcome for us, we'll have lost potentially twice his value and have no replacement except for a player most think is pure dirt (hourihane or Marv - pick your poison).
Yep unfortunately this is a very real concern considering City's midfield issues. And a bigger concern if both Barkley and Dougy go at the same time next summer. Massive shoes to fill.

Bang On - p.s. Ramos most carded player in La Liga, most sent off player in La Liga, most booked blah blah blah wrong place wrong time.
Back to Luiz - if he's good enough for Brazil then pressure on our coaches. I hope to God he stays - why wouldn't he? A couple more incomings of note and the world will awake to Villa