The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

Unlike the situation up front ( where in all honesty we should have really got in another forward to supplement Wes - even if it was one of the free transfers available to get in on a short term contract )
Don't think we were prepared to have our pants pulled down. 12 players in at an average of £10m. Overpaying for players or paying them stupid wages is a road I don't wish to travel :wagging:. We've seen where it leads.

Don't think we were prepared to have our pants pulled down. 12 players in at an average of £10m. Overpaying for players or paying them stupid wages is a road I don't wish to travel :wagging:. We've seen where it leads.

It's clear that's not the model we were ever going down. But a short term deal on a proven premier league striker would have no doubt strengthened us up front. I hope you are right and we don't need another striker. I really do. Because if big Wes loses form or worse still suffers a long term injury I don't have much confidence in our guys in reserve. Not at this level.

if big Wes loses form or worse still suffers a long term injury I don't have much confidence in our guys in reserve. Not at this level.

A long term injury would be a disaster at this stage of the season but as the season moves on its less and less of a problem IMO. Whats clear is the team is still a work in progress and we have a long way to go to supporting Wes so he isnt holding defenders off waiting for the support.

Davis has the physicality for the role but I dont know about his ability to protect the ball at this level. If the team can effectively support him all you're asking is for him to win the first ball and lay it off. Davis isnt Rudy Gestede he actually seems like a football player. We have to trust Deano he wanted Davis to stay, he must see something in the kid.

Kodjia is the more difficult one because we have to play it out of the back or try to play him in behind. Anything into feet without a player 5 or 10 yards from him will result in the ball being lost 90% of the time.

I dont subscribe to the idea we were looking for another CF either.

A long term injury would be a disaster at this stage of the season but as the season moves on its less and less of a problem IMO. Whats clear is the team is still a work in progress and we have a long way to go to supporting Wes so he isnt holding defenders off waiting for the support.

Davis has the physicality for the role but I dont know about his ability to protect the ball at this level. If the team can effectively support him all you're asking is for him to win the first ball and lay it off. Davis isnt Rudy Gestede he actually seems like a football player. We have to trust Deano he wanted Davis to stay, he must see something in the kid.

Kodjia is the more difficult one because we have to play it out of the back or try to play him in behind. Anything into feet without a player 5 or 10 yards from him will result in the ball being lost 90% of the time.

I dont subscribe to the idea we were looking for another CF either.

Me neither. I didn't think we needed to buy a new CF. But then we got rid of Hogan. Not that I'm saying he would have been a viable option. Just assumed that his loan move was engineered to bring a new striker in. And let's be honest Deano didn't exactly have faith in JK or Davis at Championship level. Maybe these lads will prove to be better suited to the Prem?

And let's be honest Deano didn't exactly have faith in JK or Davis at Championship level. Maybe these lads will prove to be better suited to the Prem?

I disagree, Tammy was banging in goals so it made little sense to drop him.

As said ideally we only need them as back-ups but in the event we need them to lead the line the hope has to be it happens toward the latter part of the season with survival virtually guaranteed.

I bet our useless Premier League refs (particularly the utterly incompetent Kevin Friend) would have immediately sent Douglas off for assault and battery and in Friends case enjoyed doing so.

How the twat who shamefully goes down like that can look at himself in a mirror and feel comfortable with himself would be beyond me and most normal people.

Last edited:
Just been called up to the Brazil senior squad. A few more quid on his value now....not that we should have that mindset anymore. That will be him and Marvellous both facing long journeys during international breaks.

Double edged sword isn't it? Sort of good news, also good for his confidence etc, but as you say, long journey - plus threat of injury as with all the international players.

The travel Is a pain in the arse but it can only mean good things for the player and the club to have players called up to represent their nation.

The owners want us to be challenging near the top end of the league so other players who look at us and see the likes of Jack, Mings and now Luiz getting call ups will make us a more attractive proposition. Would luiz have got the call up if he was in the man city reserves? Doubtful.

I've heard too many times from media gobshites over the years that certain players must leave Villa to further their national team hopes so if now some young player sees us as a pathway to a call up then it's progress as far as I'm concerned.

If he plays for Brazil he will be more likely to meet the work permit criteria for Man City to take him back

Just been called up to the Brazil senior squad. A few more quid on his value now....not that we should have that mindset anymore. That will be him and Marvellous both facing long journeys during international breaks.

Bloody hell beefy where have you been?

I've heard too many times from media gobshites over the years that certain players must leave Villa to further their national team hopes so if now some young player sees us as a pathway to a call up then it's progress as far as I'm concerned.

It's bollocks isn't it, and not a grain of truth in it.

The likes of Young and Downing were at their England peak because of Villa, and loads others, like Benteke with Belgium for instance.

Jack will be selected by England soon too, because of what he's doing with Villa. Players don't need to go anywhere else.

Bloody hell beefy where have you been?
I'll let you decide. Have I been:
A) Prison
B) Rehab
H) Working in my latest job as Brexit negotiator
C) Undergoing a sex change. Twice.
D) Away on a sabbatical in the weird world of social media, particularly Twittersville, but got infuriated with all the anger so decided to return home to VV.

The nasty Mr Fear had even stripped away my ability to post on here. He wanted me to do all sorts of strange things before accepting me back. Not going through that again, so I'm here to stay I guess.

I'll let you decide. Have I been:
A) Prison
B) Rehab
H) Working in my latest job as Brexit negotiator
C) Undergoing a sex change. Twice.
D) Away on a sabbatical in the weird world of social media, particularly Twittersville, but got infuriated with all the anger so decided to return home to VV.

The nasty Mr Fear had even stripped away my ability to post on here. He wanted me to do all sorts of strange things before accepting me back. Not going through that again, so I'm here to stay I guess.

I'm guessing prison you Big lump, welcome back!