The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

This was the one player i thought looked average the other night, didn`t really mop up any loose balls and gaps appeared far too easy.

Can`t remember a tackle put in on any note, the game sort of passed him by when he should be integral in the change over.

Would Hourihane had been any worse / better ( and we also then have a set piece threat ) - i am not convinced at the moment.

This was the one player i thought looked average the other night, didn`t really mop up any loose balls and gaps appeared far too easy.

Can`t remember a tackle put in on any note, the game sort of passed him by when he should be integral in the change over.

Would Hourihane had been any worse / better ( and we also then have a set piece threat ) - i am not convinced at the moment.
He was clearly assigned to occupy Sigurdsson and did so to such effect that Everton's 45 million pound midfielder was substituted on the hour mark. The game definitely did not pass him by - he was a huge factor in Everton's inability to hurt us in dangerous areas. It's no coincidence that Everton's best chances came in the last 15 minutes once they'd changed their shape and played without a number 10.

I think DS will stick with his preferred formation, so only one of Hourihane, Luiz and Marvelous to start. Hopefully a lot of coaching is going on this week if Luiz is going to start against Everton.

Still not convinced Marv is vying for a place at the bottom on the midfield trio doesn't fit Deano's set up IMO and I'll also clarify that by saying I havent seen Marv's range of passing.

I think Marv is direct competition for McGinn given the tenacity, mobility and tackling abilities which have been lauded by pundits and the like.

Still not convinced Marv is vying for a place at the bottom on the midfield trio doesn't fit Deano's set up IMO and I'll also clarify that by saying I havent seen Marv's range of passing.

I think Marv is direct competition for McGinn given the tenacity, mobility and tackling abilities which have been lauded by pundits and the like.

You might be right. We can't expect the supers to be fit for every game this season and the only other player we have in the mould is Henri.

I was really pinning my hopes on landing Kalvin Phillips to sign during the window and was more than a little gutted to see Leeds stick a 30 mil price on his head. There was no way we were ever paying that and Leeds knew it. I'm a big fan of the lad and would love to see him at Villa but DL has already demonstrated he's an upgrade on what we had/ have currently in that position. This lad has the potential to go very far in the game and already looks like he's on his way to cementing his place in the starting eleven. I'm liking the look of the spine of this team already. A few Everton fans I know reckon he bossed the game.

Away from home could we play Douglas and Marv in front of the back four with Grealish, McGinn and Jota/El Gahzi/Trezeguet in front of them supporting Wes?

It's well documented that Doug did not play for City because there was no guarantees he would get enough game time to warrant a work permit..which suggests Deano has big plans for him. He's already looking like a shoe-in for the DM of choice but to have Marvelous and the hurricane on standby is not too shabby. Unlike the situation up front ( where in all honesty we should have really got in another forward to supplement Wes - even if it was one of the free transfers available to get in on a short term contract ) we have some really strong options all over the pitch and Doug will know he has to deliver on a consistent basis or he's benched. Look how ruthless Deano was with El Ghazi