The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

Luiz and Nakamba will be fixtures in the team as the season wears on.

Those two, plus the Supers and El Ghazi or Trezeguet with whoever up top (hopefully Wesley, but if Keinan or Kodjia can handle it, then great) will be the way forward.

The only signing in doubt at this stage is Wesley, and I still think it is too soon to write him off. Luiz is top drawer and City will have him back asap, no doubt about that.

Talent there, just hope we haven't wasted our money on another Josh Onamah type.

I don't see it. Onomah was poor from the start. I'm always suspicious of players who play 'in the hole'. I think some of them do it to hide. If you are given the privilege of playing there, you have to produce goals and assists in every game and Josh didn't.

Doug plays properly in midfield. He isn't afraid of a tackle or a shot. He just needs to cut out the mistakes. That backheel still haunts me.

It's a juggling act to get the correct combinations. Douglas does tick a lot of boxes but the system that we play only allows for 2 other midfielders in the 4-3-3 system that is DS's preferred system.

Off topic but Onomah was shite, didn’t see anything in him or any potential, glad he’s gone.

Luiz is a different gravy. Brazilian international versus a 21 yr old Tottenham academy player who probably took a youth league by storm when he was 14? Different gravy

Off topic but Onomah was shite, didn’t see anything in him or any potential, glad he’s gone.

Luiz is a different gravy. Brazilian international versus a 21 yr old Tottenham academy player who probably took a youth league by storm when he was 14? Different gravy

Think you maybe right, thinking back Onomah had less than a hand full good games in the championship also Potchetino pretty much disrespected us by trying to force us to start him even though he knew he was not good enough to start and then just binned him off out of spurs when he got back.

A mistake for their goal but otherwise I thought he was the stand out player. Always looks to do something positive with the ball.

It's a juggling act to get the correct combinations. Douglas does tick a lot of boxes but the system that we play only allows for 2 other midfielders in the 4-3-3 system that is DS's preferred system.

The reality is one place in the midfield 3 is open and thats Hourihanes currently and by the end of season I'd expect Luiz to be filling that position. Houirhane brings goals and intelligent runs and late surges into the box as well as set pieces.

Ultimately it'll be whether everything else Luiz brings to the table will outstrip that. Personally I think the only reason Hourihane is playing is because Wesley and who plays on the other wing from Jack aren't doing enough.

He's getting better each game. I think we are still trying to figure out where and how to play him to best affect, but next season I suspect he will be lorded as a supreme player...the type you build a team round.

I think at the moment we're still working out a system. At the moment he can affect games (like score!) which is the main thing. As we evolve I'm sure he'll play a major role.

He is certainly up for the challenge judging by his celebration last Tuesday.

I think people were saying he showed a lot of fight in the Norwich game too.

His range of passing is immense and its one of the reasons I think we were able to beat Watford. A player who can fire accurate balls across the flanks can help to open up stubborn teams.