The Carabao Cup Thread | Page 85 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread

We will win this with our reserve squad or should do. I hope we don't go with those that played at Palace that's for sure.

we have Olsen Young Chambers Ludwig Luiz Marvelous Ings Coutinho Sanson Archer thats 10 that did not start at Palace throw in Feeney Tim AEG Freddie Chrisene etc and they should blow Bolton away. If they don't we really are wasting our time having a squad

This is what the manager said about the team for today.

“We’ll dust ourselves down from the result and we will be strong, we’ll pick a strong team.
“There will be changes, of course, because the game is close enough for us to try and freshen it up and energise the squad and the team.
“But there won’t be wholesale changes and there won’t be, ‘Oh it’s the League Cup, let’s make all kinds of changes’. We’ll be strong.”

The only way SG is going to even get close to appeasing the fans from what could be a very poor season (14th-17th), is with a good cup run. I’d highly advise he take this seriously and at least leave with some credit as the useless Sherwood did unlike the equally useless Di Matteo.

“We’ll dust ourselves down from the result and we will be strong, we’ll pick a strong team.
“There will be changes, of course, because the game is close enough for us to try and freshen it up and energise the squad and the team.
“But there won’t be wholesale changes and there won’t be, ‘Oh it’s the League Cup, let’s make all kinds of changes’. We’ll be strong.”

“We go again”

so he'll only change 7 then

Honestly anywhere not in the relegation spots and a trophy would be a massive success in my mind. We should be going hard at this competition and FA cup

I can never understand why we don't target the cups, I know one of the big 5 win it every year but that is because they have lulled everyone into thinking it's not important by playing a team that is weaker but that team would still be in the top half of the PL.
We need to get to the later stages of the competitions and field our best side

We arent going to finish in the European spots this season, so perfect time to have a good crack at the cups. Hopefully Archer finds the net and puts Stevie under a bit of pressure to give a decent amount of minutes on Sunday

I can never understand why we don't target the cups, I know one of the big 5 win it every year but that is because they have lulled everyone into thinking it's not important by playing a team that is weaker but that team would still be in the top half of the PL.
We need to get to the later stages of the competitions and field our best side

it's fine if you're nailed on top 10 / top8 or so.
Otherwise it's an irrelevance or worse a distraction from the job at hand which is sadly staying up.
Players naturally save themselves for cup matches the further into the comp you go and it's points/performances in the league we need rather than a plucky underdog cup run papering over the cracks.

Interesting to see if he puts out the full reserve side he should or is shitting himself and puts some of our first XI guaranteed starting 'stars' in.
Ultimately if our reserves/squad players can't beat a league 1 team then what's the point of them.

Last edited:
Well gonna go an get the beers to put them in the fridge. Then at least I can be sure of two things for tonight's game:

The beer will be cold and the commentators will say something complimentary about the Travelling support. Bravo.

UTV