The Carabao Cup Thread 2019-20 | Page 138 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marez, B.Silva and Aguero terrify me. Oh, and De Bruyen.... Fortunately the others seem to be off the pace and, frankly, kinda all over the place.

Smattering of occasional quality, but i think they’ve got problems that can be exploited.

I strongly suspect they've dialled down the nonsense VAR decision making these past couple of weeks mate in response to the criticism of heavy-handedness on prior decisions - I.E. no way is it a "clear and obvious" mistake by the referee/linesman, like the leather of the heel of Wesley's boot being "offside" a few games ago for us.

Nakamba has his back to the ball and can have no clue where the ball is going, never mind put his hands into the way of the ball on purpose, so on common-sense grounds it's not a penalty to me.

A month ago they would have got the handball IMO but as I say, I'm sure they've dialled it down to something more useful and in the spirit of the game recently rather than measuring millimetres as "clear and obvious" mistakes.

Good points and just perhaps common sense is going to be used with VAR

Good points and just perhaps common sense is going to be used with VAR

Well they'll have made a rod for their own backs of course by being so ludicrously heavy-handed in the first place so now the expectation is for the millimetres to be taken into account but that's on them for being so bloody incompetent in the first place - common-sense tells you that with technology like VAR it has to be eased in, not a whallop and all of a sudden the whole game has changed overnight.

IIRC, I made the observation during our first leg against Leicester that we'd had two goals but not a whiff of VAR - I'm pretty sure it was around then they'd decided to dial it down, before then it was being used for every goal which as we all know was completely killing the game.

The truth is in the middle as always so we'll have the usual muppet punditry complaining about lack of consistency now they've appeared to dial it down somewhat but hopefully it'll settle into what it was supposed to be - a method to eradicate clear and obvious errors and nothing else ...

A month ago they would have got the handball IMO but as I say, I'm sure they've dialled it down to something more useful and in the spirit of the game recently rather than measuring millimetres as "clear and obvious" mistakes.

This is one of times where if the tables were turned I'd be furious as I do think its clear and obvious. If your hand is above your head its there is no excuse.

This is one of times where if the tables were turned I'd be furious as I do think its clear and obvious. If your hand is above your head its there is no excuse.

You were or always were allowed to protect your face, are you supposed to pogo arms strapped to your sides.
Handball in common sense terms is a deliberate attempt of hand to ball , not ball to hand.
I'm not sure when they changed the rules if indeed they ever have?

If he's done it on purpose mate then he's a fecking genius is all I can say lol

Well they'll have made a rod for their own backs of course by being so ludicrously heavy-handed in the first place so now the expectation is for the millimetres to be taken into account but that's on them for being so bloody incompetent in the first place - common-sense tells you that with technology like VAR it has to be eased in, not a whallop and all of a sudden the whole game has changed overnight.

IIRC, I made the observation during our first leg against Leicester that we'd had two goals but not a whiff of VAR - I'm pretty sure it was around then they'd decided to dial it down, before then it was being used for every goal which as we all know was completely killing the game.

The truth is in the middle as always so we'll have the usual muppet punditry complaining about lack of consistency now they've appeared to dial it down somewhat but hopefully it'll settle into what it was supposed to be - a method to eradicate clear and obvious errors and nothing else ...
Be very interesting how VAR starts off next season if what you suggest is correct.
That prat Linekar was asked to attend a VAR meeting this week to give his opinions to the powers that be on Var so far this season and how it should be used in the future.
He told them that he thought the concept is correct to help the refs but the implementation of it and the over the top way in which it has been used is wrong.
If they are asking the great and the good of English football into meetings then it would strongly suggest changes are afoot for next season

Isn't what last night why we follow football, and in particular AVFC, a chilly winter night under floodlights at VP, a virtual full house, a great open game with both teams going for it, credit to Leicester there, a rollercoaster of emotions topped with euphoria. My 57th season watching Villa and I still get the buzz and excitement of when I was many years younger on nights like last night.....long may it continue.

PS; My son missed the play off final last season due to a holiday, last weeks and last night game due to a belated honeymoon. My family are thinking of sending him on holiday for the Final in March so we win that as well. He face-timed me last night saying he had sat in an empty bar in Mexico, just him and the owner getting slowly inebriated watching the game.......silly boy!!!!!
Re P.S. Send him to the Moon by the end of Feb, he can come back early March. As for the rest. couldn't agree more, so many great memories standing high up in The Holte watching 'giant' killing under the lights.

Re P.S. Send him to the Moon by the end of Feb, he can come back early March. As for the rest. couldn't agree more, so many great memories standing high up in The Holte watching 'giant' killing under the lights.
The Man U LC semi final in 71 was THE most incredible crowd. Probably I think that being a small kid at the time. One of my first avfc games . The Holte was unbelievable 62k sold out with villa fans snapping up hhe few mu tickets returned. Incredible.

True and I know and understand that however I still think the failure to mount any sort of pressure in a cup semi final is shocking. They limped out of the cup 10 men or not.
Tbh looking at the highlights they should have lost with 11 men. City missed chance after chance and 2 goals narrowly offside. They could run us ragged if they turn it on. We will see.

His hands were high even ghough he wasn't looking at the ball. At anfield or old Trafford thats a stone wall pen. But it would have only been the equaliser. No guarantee it would have made any difference to the final outcome.

Guilbert shows Harvey the outside too which might have been fine had he not kept his distance. Difficult because Barnes is very quick and at that range Guilbert is going to be unable to do anything. So I would say it was Guilberts mistake initially with Targett and Hause compounding it with poor positioning / awareness.
Not sure about those 3 defensively. At all.

Status
Not open for further replies.