The Carabao Cup Thread 2019-20 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBJ

Father Of The Forum
Hope springs eternal - it's been 1996 since we last won this - and the journey starts at Gresty Road on Tuesday night.
Surely we'll win this one?
It's a chance for some of those who warmed the bench on Friday evening to shine - I'd like to see both Hourihane and Lansbury in action.

I genuinely don't care about this one. If we win, great. If we lose, nevermind. It's all about the PL for this season for me.

we have to go full pelt for this as it can lead to confidence building as the winning run goes on.
I prefer this cup over the FA as it's a fans cup rather than a corporate cup.
loved the Leeds and Utd Finals as genuine fans could get tickets unlike 20 000 facup tickets.

Call me old fashioned but I loved the days when every game was taken seriously and rotating players wasn't a formality. Some of our cup performances in recent times have been nothing short of embarrassing and pretty pathetic. Nothing like a good cup run to maintain the feel good factor and keep the place buzzing. At last we've got some depth in the squad with genuine competition for places so we should be able to see off Crewe without any sign of humiliation and edge closer to our annual day out at Wembley.....:wahey:

I struggle to get excited for the EFL cup anymore, the final being in February doesn’t help for me. I believe Man City are the current holders but I couldn’t tell you who they played or the score in the final as no doubt it was on BT Sport. The Coca Cola Cup days were magical, the cup took a weird turn when the top teams stopped trying and now the top teams are all so desperate to win something they go for it harder.

The one thing I actually like seeing are the fringe players getting a game. They should be good enough to put Crewe away and get another game in the next round.

I get the argument about trying to win everything and that mentality, teams have been successful in the cup and got relegated - Wigan (could’ve been FA cup) and Bl*es I believe - so I think it can also be a distraction.

That’s just my honest opinion, I know I’m in the minority.

Last edited:
Deano knows that this is our cup. This is the next step in our Back To The Future quest to recreate the Villa of the 1970's. We should be going all out to win it. :unsure:

Our second string should be more than capable. :whist:

Deano knows that this is our cup. This is the next step in our Back To The Future quest to recreate the Villa of the 1970's. We should be going all out to win it. :unsure:

Our second string should be more than capable. :whist:

'Should' being the operative word. How many times have we said that in the not too distant past.

However, yes, I think we should go on from tomorrow night and have a decent cup run. Whatever match it is, league, cup whatever, it breeds confidence.

Come on you Lions!.....

I genuinely don't care about this one. If we win, great. If we lose, nevermind. It's all about the PL for this season for me.
Of course the PL is priority, but winning is a habit. DS has said he will try and win every game. Really hope we don't see a totally changed side. It is an opportunity for more time on the pitch together building cohesion (not gelling :nerner:).

Of course the PL is priority, but winning is a habit. DS has said he will try and win every game. Really hope we don't see a totally changed side. It is an opportunity for more time on the pitch together building cohesion (not gelling :nerner:).

I agree, I think a few of the first string should start like Wesley.

There's an international break coming up anyway.

27th August 2019, Gresty Road

Crewe Alexandra ?-? Aston Villa

Jed Steer
Ahmed Elmohamady / Ezri Konsa / Kortney Hause / Matt Targett
Conor Hourihane / Henri Lansbury / Marvelous Nakamba
Jota / Keinan Davis / Anwar El Ghazi
Perhaps?

27th August 2019, Gresty Road

Crewe Alexandra ?-? Aston Villa

Jed Steer
Ahmed Elmohamady / Ezri Konsa / Kortney Hause / Matt Targett
Conor Hourihane / Henri Lansbury / Marvelous Nakamba
Jota / Keinan Davis / Anwar El Ghazi
Perhaps?

That'll probably be close to the lineup, although as I said previously, with just one more game coming up before the break, I think we could risk of few first stringers such as Wesley, Engels, Luiz etc. to get the job done.

But as Ironside said, rest Mings, we can't afford to have him injured. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.