The Car Thread | Page 42 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

Just took my JCW Mini into BMW Plymouth to have a new rear badge fitted. The new John Cooper Works All4 was in the showroom, and a Mini it is not. It is huge by the side of a 3 door hatchback Mini. It's very quick, 310 bhp, and loads of space inside. The finish inside and out is pure BMW, and they have made it very minimalist inside. Price tag is circa £43000. You could say it's a lot for a Mini, however as I said this is no Mini. It's very impressive.

I see Tesla have released the Cyber truck. It's a few years late and almost 50% more expensive than they originally claimed.

The Ford F150 Lightning has been a dud with the range being miserable when towing and pick-up truck buyers generally conservative type people.

I can't see who the Cybertruck is going to appeal to. Apart from providing some novelty, there isn't much of a market out there for it.
I've seen them in the Bay Area, my wife called me one day saying there is a Pyramid car on the highway and she never saw anything like it. I had no idea what she meant and then a month later she points at a Cybertruck "that's what I see on the highway".

Anyone buying an electric truck seems to go for the Rivian which is also next to useless in offroad conditions.

America is hilarious, electric trucks are such a backward development because the trucks are enormous. In one aspect its good because you can pack a massive battery into but on the other hand you've turned a useless 2 ton truck into a 3 ton truck. Most people who have trucks should be driving a Camry or a CRV.

Sidebar, as if the trucks were't big enough, half the ones I see on the road have lift kits turning them into mini-monster trucks. As a man I don't know why you'd do it to yourself because everyone thinks its to compensate for something.

If anyone signed a PCP (personal contract purchases) and a hire purchase agreement for mainly personal use, not business, on a car, van, bike etc before Jan 28, 2021, check out Martin Lewis's show tonight. You didn't need the car in possession before that date, you just had to have signed the agreement.

Doesn't apply to leasing, doesn't apply to outright buy - it only applies if 'interest' was involved in your payment/repayment on your route to full purchase.

Repossession, write off, sell on, no longer owning the car or whatever also doesn't matter. It's the agreement, not the vehicle and what happened to it.

Firms were fiddling the interest rate to load profit, and the FCA are already investigating but it's based on discretionary interest rates, not strictly fixed rates, so not all companies/lenders.

Can likely go back to agreements signed in 2007ish, Statute of Limitations (or being Statute barred if people know that phrase) only applies from the point you know of the injustice, but there is an expectation you would then act quickly and complain.

A bit darker angle, but if it applied to a family member or friend who has now passed, if you are the executor of the will (estate), or the sole natural recipient, you could also claim on their behalf is my understanding.

If PCP or hire purchase has applied to you since 2007 to Jan 28, 2021 - watch the show on catch up, Lewis has a basic template that lodges your complaint and for now that's all you need to do. It might come to nothing, you might not meet the criteria or used a company/lender who wasn't a snake - and you also don't still need your own paperwork per se right now (although it would help).

Nothing needs to be proved right now, it's about getting the complaint in so you are in the mix if you think it applies. The show explains, then read.

It could be worth a grand or a couple for most people depending on their applicable circumstances.

Worst case, it's worth the price of paper, ink, an envelope and a recorded delivery stamp - or an email copied into yourself with a read receipt. It's proof of delivery even if it's only your own CC (or a family member/friend).

This was a new one on me tonight but I am out of that world now, so I am not over the details but this is going to be a bank charges/PPI thing again - so if anyone wants to chat in PM, I'll help how I can as I learn about it and dip my head in.

I think I had a PCP on the Lexus and the Toyota but I paid them both off early, both were 3 years old when I bought them and came with 12 month's warranty, so I paid them off after the 12 months. I may have kept the Lexus on it longer as I remember extending the warranty by buying a service plan or something.
Worth looking into though. Both were in the Mrs's name as I haven't had any credit for over 25 years. I don't exist!

I'd look into it mate. Look at the prog and guide. If any interest was paid (even if you paid it off early) to me you'd qualify. On the back of that, it's worth an email or a stamp - worse they say is no as they might have been one of the decent ones, and on this they won't be saying no if not as the FCA seem to have a bit of a horn about it.

I don't know enough right now to know whether the 'warranty' would be an entitlement. I'd guess not as that is a fixed priced add on - not the original deal - and this is all about the original deal and discretionary interest charges/rates.

But if this blows up as I think it will from experience, IF a warranty was included in the total price and then subject to interest itself, it would definitely tick the box. (as that is illegal basically anyway) and little gems like this fell out of bank charges, PPI in particular as time went on and more was learned.

It's worth a look, as said, worst case you waste 30 minutes and then the time of an email or the price of a stamp as you had a reputable dealer - but that's worth it for a punt like this in my book.

I didn't really exist after my bank charges days until about 2018/19ish - never going to get married so a joint bank account could be useful lol

A Chinese brand called Prinx makes tyres in the right size for my car. They are £70 a piece rather than £200 for Michelin. Anyone ever heard of them?

A Chinese brand called Prinx makes tyres in the right size for my car. They are £70 a piece rather than £200 for Michelin. Anyone ever heard of them?
I think it all depends on your driving style. My John Cooper Works Mini is fitted with Perrelli Pzero from the factory. If you go on the forums the general consensus is that they are expensive and don't perform well, especially if you take part in race days at tracks, or drive the car very hard on the road. I recently replaced my front tyres with Hankook. They were cheaper, and got a decent reception on the same forums. I don't hang around, but don't drive like a twat. I didn't get 6000 out of the Perrellis. I haven't noticed any difference in the handling in wet or on dry, so time will tell.

i know someone who fits tyres and he says some of the value brands are just as good as the expensive ones - Dunlop/Pirelli etc , you just pay for the name really.

I used to drive a Honda Accord. I bought some cheapo tyres for it trying to save money. They were shit. I'm not a boy racer but I do put my foot down on the motorway. They were noisy and less fuel efficient than the better tyres. I would imagine I paid more in fuel than I saved on the tyres.

If anyone signed a PCP (personal contract purchases) and a hire purchase agreement for mainly personal use, not business, on a car, van, bike etc before Jan 28, 2021, check out Martin Lewis's show tonight. You didn't need the car in possession before that date, you just had to have signed the agreement.

Doesn't apply to leasing, doesn't apply to outright buy - it only applies if 'interest' was involved in your payment/repayment on your route to full purchase.

Repossession, write off, sell on, no longer owning the car or whatever also doesn't matter. It's the agreement, not the vehicle and what happened to it.

Firms were fiddling the interest rate to load profit, and the FCA are already investigating but it's based on discretionary interest rates, not strictly fixed rates, so not all companies/lenders.

Can likely go back to agreements signed in 2007ish, Statute of Limitations (or being Statute barred if people know that phrase) only applies from the point you know of the injustice, but there is an expectation you would then act quickly and complain.

A bit darker angle, but if it applied to a family member or friend who has now passed, if you are the executor of the will (estate), or the sole natural recipient, you could also claim on their behalf is my understanding.

If PCP or hire purchase has applied to you since 2007 to Jan 28, 2021 - watch the show on catch up, Lewis has a basic template that lodges your complaint and for now that's all you need to do. It might come to nothing, you might not meet the criteria or used a company/lender who wasn't a snake - and you also don't still need your own paperwork per se right now (although it would help).

Nothing needs to be proved right now, it's about getting the complaint in so you are in the mix if you think it applies. The show explains, then read.

It could be worth a grand or a couple for most people depending on their applicable circumstances.

Worst case, it's worth the price of paper, ink, an envelope and a recorded delivery stamp - or an email copied into yourself with a read receipt. It's proof of delivery even if it's only your own CC (or a family member/friend).

This was a new one on me tonight but I am out of that world now, so I am not over the details but this is going to be a bank charges/PPI thing again - so if anyone wants to chat in PM, I'll help how I can as I learn about it and dip my head in.
Thank you Fieldy I passed this on to my No1 son.
#

I've put 2 claims in having read this the other day , one against Black Horse and one against Close Bros. Had zero response so far but it's only been 4/5 days