The Car Thread | Vital Football

The Car Thread

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Morning.

Went to see the BMW i3s last night.

I'm not a fan. Looks gimmicky and too small for my liking.

Nat still likes it, and it's her who's after a car, but I'm trying to talk her into something bigger like the Audi e-tron

With the low mileage Mrs M does and (even post Covid-19) with home working more, no brainer her next car should be electric .
The government really should be ensuring they come down in price which is why I and am sure others are put off at the moment.

The problem with electric cars is that they can't build them fast enough, so that is keeping prices high.

Villain of the North had to wait about 9 months for his in Norway, where they are very popular.

The good news is that residuals stay high.

Have you gone for a repeat of your Sky Q controversy and not told Mrs M about your new car by the way ?

Lol. No she is fully on board. To be honest she didn't have a leg to stand on because I have spent 10 years with a car I never really liked so I built up alot of credit for just sticking with it and waiting until we needed to change it !

The problem with electric cars is that they can't build them fast enough, so that is keeping prices high.

Villain of the North had to wait about 9 months for his in Norway, where they are very popular.

The good news is that residuals stay high.
The cost of batteries is very high and they last about 5 years. I know as I work for a manufacturer and sell them. If I was going to do 50/100 miles a day and no problem with waiting to recharge then ok. The real way forward is hydrogen

The cost of batteries is very high and they last about 5 years. I know as I work for a manufacturer and sell them. If I was going to do 50/100 miles a day and no problem with waiting to recharge then ok. The real way forward is hydrogen

LOL, you beat me to it. I notice Germany is investing billions in Hydrogen. I think part of the stimulus that will be required to recover from Covid-19 should go in that direction. Using solar to produce it, you do have a sustainable, clean power source.

LOL, you beat me to it. I notice Germany is investing billions in Hydrogen. I think part of the stimulus that will be required to recover from Covid-19 should go in that direction. Using solar to produce it, you do have a sustainable, clean power source.

I was in Munich BMW in 1998 they had a fleet of 7 series back then on test running hydrogen, I think Toyota is exploring it too now.

Toyota and Hyundai are the big players. California has quite a big Hydrogen network now.

They have solved the safety issues in transporting it and created new ways to extract it from water for less money. Batteries will not help in the long run.

Toyota and Hyundai are the big players. California has quite a big Hydrogen network now.

They have solved the safety issues in transporting it and created new ways to extract it from water for less money. Batteries will not help in the long run.

yep I had a bit of involvement in Battery builds at JLR I had to do a presentation on Batteries and UDU's the studies i did did not sell the idea to me > All JLR's eggs have been thrown into that basket and Engines ignored since I left. The current Jag is all BMW EDU's and Batteries built in Austria . The new Jag XJ will be all-electric
There were Battery cars in the early 1900's that did 100miles on a charge but Henry Ford was told by Eddison to go with Gasoline engines as the infrastructure wasn't there for charging batteries.

That still sounds very familiar

JLR plans to Build batteries themselves and their own EDU's at the EMC at Wolverhampton. Batteries are proving a problem, mainly because the idiots employed to build them don't have any more knowledge than me , that's another story

The elements you need for batteries are hard to get, and the mining for them causes environmental damage.

You half total emissions, over the lifetime of a car, but you don't eliminate them. Air pollution in urban areas improves as well.

Hydrogen is so much better, if you can produce it efficiently.

The elements you need for batteries are hard to get, and the mining for them causes environmental damage.

You half total emissions, over the lifetime of a car, but you don't eliminate them. Air pollution in urban areas improves as well.

I agree mate and I mentioned all this to my bosses, apparently, this is me being negative. Probably why I'm no longer there, i do have a mind of my own, which often doesn't bode well if your boss likes his arse licked.
There are a lot of con tricks out there at the moment including Mild hybrids which is essentially a 48-volt alternator that runs a start-stop system but people think they are buying some sort of battery-powered car. Ironically the still run a starter motor for initial start-up. Once warm they start off the FEAD belt. (fan belt to you)
I've done loads of builds on Mhev cars, in fact, all our engines were running them for the euro markets.

LOL, sounds like you and me have a lot in common. I used to get called negative for pointing out facts a long time ago. It's why I had to go work for myself.

I've never been a yes man, I had respect for bosses who I knew could do my job, when they come in from the Army and get put in charge of me because they used to be a Staff Seargent and know how to manage men, they then have a major problem with me. I kid you do not don't feel sorry for all these ex-army people and their fat army pensions and 50k jobs JLR. I feel sorry for real soldiers but not those clowns

Idiot amongst experts here, however on we plod.
Ithink I read somewhere that China have 80% of all the elements required for these batteries. Is that correct.

Idiot amongst experts here, however on we plod.
Ithink I read somewhere that China have 80% of all the elements required for these batteries. Is that correct.

South America has the most lithium I think.
Transporting the batteries is dangerous
we were told when not if there is a fire they wanted the production plant away from the main facility.
Electric motor production has to be in a sterile environment even cleaner than Engine production
TBH companies are still playing at it. , I believe Toyota will blow them all away soon

we were told when not if there is a fire they wanted the production plant away from the main facility.
Electric motor production has to be in a sterile environment even cleaner than Engine production
TBH companies are still playing at it. , I believe Toyota will blow them all away soon
Havent read it all through, but it does seem to suggest China is the biggest player.
If that is so it doesnt sound like a very smart move to me.
China's Cobalt is a Secret Weapon in the Race to Dominate ...
www.bloomberg.com › graphics › 2018-china-cobalt

If what I have posted above is correct it begs the question are we totally fuckin mad getting into bed with the Chinese for our future motoring needs.