The Car Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

Some of the petrol heads on here might be able to help me with this. There are a couple of marks on the bonnet of my wife's car from bird poop. One of them is worse than the other. The worse one seems to be missing some paint completely.

I saw these paint touch up pens in that Hardwear shop. Do they work or is the only option a respray?

Im no petrol head but I do know that when a bird poops on your car then you need to get it off fairly quick as it’s bad for the paint.

Delorean is coming back (again)!

Of course, it's going to be an EV company. The first 88 cars won't be street legal but you will be able to buy them in 2024 or 2025. If all of that doesn't sound spurious enough, those 88 cars will have something to do with NFTs.

It's a shame that they are so late to the party. If they had launched two years ago, they would be swimming in VC funding. I'd imagine those wells are pretty dry these days.

It's great to see that Delorean is still out there trying to hustle investor cash for dubious cars long after John kicked the bucket.

In the fitness thread most know I got an electric bike a couple of years ago. It's so good, I barely use the car any more. Just 1,500 miles in two years.

It's not massively expensive to run, but tax and Insurance are £500 a year, and an MOT/Service £200 plus, depending what they find, so I have been thinking about options to do without one.

The problem is that those 1,500 miles were mostly not an option. They were essential. I therefore came to the conclusion I couldn't do without.

Over a beer with a friend today, he had a great idea. Buy a classic car. You get zero road tax and classic car insurance is dirt cheap. I can even manage a service on most engines before 1982 as well.

My problem now is where to find such a car? Autotrader and the like seem to be too new. Any ideas from our experts out there?

In the fitness thread most know I got an electric bike a couple of years ago. It's so good, I barely use the car any more. Just 1,500 miles in two years.

It's not massively expensive to run, but tax and Insurance are £500 a year, and an MOT/Service £200 plus, depending what they find, so I have been thinking about options to do without one.

The problem is that those 1,500 miles were mostly not an option. They were essential. I therefore came to the conclusion I couldn't do without.

Over a beer with a friend today, he had a great idea. Buy a classic car. You get zero road tax and classic car insurance is dirt cheap. I can even manage a service on most engines before 1982 as well.

My problem now is where to find such a car? Autotrader and the like seem to be too new. Any ideas from our experts out there?

No idea Heath.

However it sounds like a cracking idea and good fun!.

Car & Classic magazine is a good start mate. But, be warned, it's very easy to get into this and get carried away. Then again, you only live once...

Car & Classic magazine is a good start mate. But, be warned, it's very easy to get into this and get carried away. Then again, you only live once...

Thanks mate. If you knew me at all, you'd know I love the research phase of buying something more than the buying or owning, so this is going to be fun!!!

I changed the gearbox in my 1275GT Mini when I was 21, so I'm hoping those skills are still with me!!

Mind you, doing without aircon, central locking, power steering and sat nav might be a shock!!!!

You'll need to dig out your cassette collection again mate

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I was wondering if a new infotainment system would work with older wiring? You can buy ones where a screen pops out of a standard sized ICE system.

Lot's of research to do here!!!!!

I had a quick look at old camper vans. I could potentially build in some travelling here as well.

Do you have a dream car?

My Ranger Wildtrak shit the bed again. According to Ford, there was too much oil in the gearbox which caused it to overheat and fail when I was 100km from the nearest Ford service centre on my way to a beautiful tropical island. I was thinking of getting rid of it anyway since I don't use it for heading off into the jungle like I used to.

I've paid the booking on a Volvo S90 but I'm not sure if I'll go through with it. It's one hell of a car but it's a lot of money for a depreciating asset.

In an ideal world, I'd have a 5.0 supercharged XJ with an unlimited warranty and another one for when the first one breaks down.

Do you have a dream car?

My Ranger Wildtrak shit the bed again. According to Ford, there was too much oil in the gearbox which caused it to overheat and fail when I was 100km from the nearest Ford service centre on my way to a beautiful tropical island. I was thinking of getting rid of it anyway since I don't use it for heading off into the jungle like I used to.

I've paid the booking on a Volvo S90 but I'm not sure if I'll go through with it. It's one hell of a car but it's a lot of money for a depreciating asset.

In an ideal world, I'd have a 5.0 supercharged XJ with an unlimited warranty and another one for when the first one breaks down.
FORD = Found On Road Dead

Jaguar see above :ROFLMAO:

It's taken me well over 45 years to realise how much money I've wasted on cars,
I don't really have a dream car, I think I always wanted a Porsche 911 turbo with a whale tail spoiler but that was 30 years ago
TBH if you gave me 100k and said spent it on a car I just couldn't.

I watch a program called Bangers and Cash. Its about a classic car auction house in Yorkshire.
Its called Mathewsons Classic Car Auctions and you can check out their website.
It will give you a guide on prices and what you get for you money.
The programs are on Yesterday at 22.00. If you have sky its channel 155. I find it entertaining and have thought about going to one of the auctions.
They are in Thornton Le Dale which looks like a nice place to spend a few days.