The Car Thread | Page 26 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

I can't drive but I love cars, but like Sil, that sounds like a shopping centre and I've never heard the name before?

You are no petrol head though Mike, I don't think we have any on here. I've worked with some real nut jobs over the years that spend all their time and money modifying and racing cars.
Those days have gone, people's idea they are petrol heads these days is they buy a BMW M4 and have the windows blacked out :ROFLMAO:

Have just bought a new old car. Insignia 2.0 litre turbo diesel automatic. Will be collecting it on Wed.
Now how much a litre is Diesel. :hmmm:

I paid the booking fee for a Volvo S90 yesterday. They had this Covid tax break thing which made it RM25k cheaper (around £5k) which expired yesterday so I paid the £400 booking fee.

The next delivery will be in November or December so I told him to book one for next year instead. May as well get the 2023 instead of 2022.

I don't know if I will go through with it. It's an awesome car but it's pretty expensive too.

Think that is it for dad and driving, going to get his (well 'my' really, I bought it for them) Fiesta sold, and that can be taxi funds.

Is anyone driving an electric car yet?

I decided against it when I changed earlier this year. I will review again in 3 years time. But I don't think electric is the answer and don't think the infrastructure is anywhere near ready. I do like how my neighbours electric Jag 'whispers' up and down the road mind you!

My mate has an electric car. It's really quiet and he seems very happy with it. He lives in Pershore so he does a fair bit of driving but says it's no problem with charging etc.

You are no petrol head though Mike, I don't think we have any on here. I've worked with some real nut jobs over the years that spend all their time and money modifying and racing cars.
Those days have gone, people's idea they are petrol heads these days is they buy a BMW M4 and have the windows blacked out :ROFLMAO:
I used to work with a bloke who never stopped talking about Caterhams . I had no idea what he was on about but he was very very enthusiastic about it

I followed a Tesla the other day and after reading horror stories about poor build quality I did my normal boot/tailgate fit study and sure enough, the panel fit is 1980's Lada, with next to nothing on one side and about 8mm on the other. 60k they are having a laugh

I used to work with a bloke who never stopped talking about Caterhams . I had no idea what he was on about but he was very very enthusiastic about it

I've had it most of my working life, especially when I worked in the engineering office with the real clever engineers. Some are not only very clever they actually know how to wield a spanner as well.
One was into tractors, he has his own lorry, Steam traction Engine and more cars than you can shake a stick at. Great lad, I was in a seminar with him once and he asked so many questions we ended up running over by an hour, as he ripped apart chief engineers, heads of engineering etc none could answer him as he had lost them.
Strangely Chief Engineers in the British Car Industry, are not all that bright in most cases, you'll get a chief engineer on engines that used to be head of marketing or something similar.
Whereas BMW the chief engineer will actually know how stuff works and quiz you on it. All their skilled people are a level above ours but that's another story

I paid the booking fee for a Volvo S90 yesterday. They had this Covid tax break thing which made it RM25k cheaper (around £5k) which expired yesterday so I paid the £400 booking fee.

The next delivery will be in November or December so I told him to book one for next year instead. May as well get the 2023 instead of 2022.

I don't know if I will go through with it. It's an awesome car but it's pretty expensive too.

If its the 1.6ltr diesel I think the tax on them is £550 per year for the first 3 years.

Haha, you would have probably collected money off him, then. Or did it all go direct debit in the end?

What years were you doing that?
I transferred out of a Birmingham office to Lichfield in about 1988 to an agency covering the north side of the city, encompassing all those lovely South Staffs villages. I used too look forward to the Friday I did Alrewas, because the fishing tackle would go in the boot, I would do my early calls around the village, get changed in the car, and then five or six hours fishing on the Trent before the Friday night calls.
The pensions, mortgages had always been Direct Debit, but the smaller savings and life policies were now becoming fewer in number, and looking to the future were obviously a dying breed.
I was actually seconded onto a twelve months chief office working group that was tasked with assessing the future viability of the home service side of the Pru, and whilst it was extremely interesting, it was also strange to be making recommendations that you knew would bring about the inevitable end to your own job.

Years ago you worked on your car because you could do stuff, I remember buying a post office van for the engine getting it out stripping it down, head off for a skim, new big and small end bearings, piston rings etc. You only needed one gasket set back in the day as everything you needed was in the one packet.

When you set the timing and prayed to got it flashed up..... Shoved the old engine back in the van and drove it to the scrapper for £20 ish...

I don't touch my car these day I don't need to.