The 2018 World Cup | Page 38 | Vital Football

The 2018 World Cup

And then the final - for Hurst, Peters and Moore read Sterling, Walker and Stones with Sterling bagging a hat trick!

Honestly you couldn't make it up!

In yesterday's Sunday Times Sterling got a strong 7/10 plus a nice article saying what a top player he is and his importance to this Ing-er-land side just as long as they don't have to rely on his finishing. Actually I added the last bit because whilst in front of goal he has been somewhat hapless his overall importance to the team cannot be overstated.

In yesterday's Sunday Times Sterling got a strong 7/10 plus a nice article saying what a top player he is and his importance to this Ing-er-land side just as long as they don't have to rely on his finishing. Actually I added the last bit because whilst in front of goal he has been somewhat hapless his overall importance to the team cannot be overstated.

I didn’t see the whole game, most of the first half and just a bit of the second. Am I right in thinking this criticism Sterling is receiving from some is down to that chance when he tried to round their keeper or did I miss something else?

Nope. That was about it really. I think the logic runs....”he’s a striker but he hasn’t scored therefore he is useless”. Piled, of course, on top of the old scapegoat culture hanging on from Euro 2016 and the tabloid agenda that he is a ‘bad’ person.

Oh and the rags think he is in Rashnaldo’s way so they want him dropped, and the scousers hate him for leaving the European (he was concussed) Nearly-Champions so reckon Jordan Ibe was better than nhim in any case

I just think next time if a similar chance comes his way is to thump it first time instead of trying to be too cute in rounding the keeper?

I just think next time if a similar chance comes his way is to thump it first time instead of trying to be too cute in rounding the keeper?

I'd say the reason he didn't shoot first time was because of his offside effort earlier that was saved. I thought the keeper did remarkably well to read him and to get a big hand on it, no excusing Sterling not squaring the rebound.

I read earlier that Giroud is yet to have a shot on target in this WC yet there's no clamour for him to be replaced because what he brings to the attack is key in creating chances for the team.

I’d say that is spot on. The first chance I am pretty sure he thought he was offside, he certainly lacked any real conviction in his effort. The second chance - he ought to have squared it to Kane when the moment came. Those are the moments Guardiola has been having him work on with Arteta - seems there is still work to be done.

I noticed that when he laid on a superbly timed and weighted pass into Lingard’s path for him to score against Panama it was pretty much ignored. I guess the confirmation bias from the haters came into play over that moment.