Thanks Sam | Page 2 | Vital Football

Thanks Sam

If you can on your phone or computer try zoom in and slow it down on the clip i posted front Twitter - i think there is an arm in there from Morsy but it is hard to tell even then without a second angle if it hits the lad in the face or it's on his body. Impossible to know if it was a genuine attempt to protect himself or if it was malicious from the one clip but i think the arm coming into play if deemed to go above the shoulder is what makes it a straight red in the circumstances. It's a bit like one of those 50-50s that Delph got red carded for on Power last season - it's there to be won but whoever gets there first is taking a hit and whoever gets there second is going to be in trouble. The ref apparently said if Morsy got there first the Brentford lad would've gone according to Kendrick.

Even with the benefit of replays and slowing it down we see it differently so in this case i think you can't blame the ref for making this call.

Look if it wasnt this week Morsy was sent off it would be next week or the week after. He wears his heart on his sleeve and week after week he makes rash challenges. Thats his game and he wont ever learn. Question is he can get away with it in lower leagues but we are in the Championship now and it could be possible he may just be out of his deapth like Vaughny.

Look if it wasnt this week Morsy was sent off it would be next week or the week after. He wears his heart on his sleeve and week after week he makes rash challenges. Thats his game and he wont ever learn. Question is he can get away with it in lower leagues but we are in the Championship now and it could be possible he may just be out of his deapth like Vaughny.
He seemed to play fairly well for Barnsley in the Championship when we loaned him out

Just watched the incident on Sky. Unfortunately there is only the one camera angle, but to all intents and purposes Morsy looks to be innocent. He seems to be making a genuine attempt to win the ball. The push from Connolly is the problem, which causes the Brentford players head to go backward and then forwards, like whiplash, into Samy's oncoming head. Samy looks to protect himself by raising his arm into the opponents chest.

Personally, I don't think there is enough evidence either way, due to the lack of cameras, to prove who is right and if it was appealed I think they would back the referee. Take it on the chin and move on.

He seemed to play fairly well for Barnsley in the Championship when we loaned him out

There's hope for you yet...bang on. I would ignore the clueless on here because , quite frankly they are fecking clueless.

Some on here couldn't spot a good player if they kicked them full square in the Evonne Goolagongs.

It is reactionary posting...lose all is suicidal, win..we are as good as up. It's sooooo fucking predictable.

I think that is the key to the incident. It was only the over reaction of players I believe that swayed the referees opinion. Unless other angles show something different it's challengable in my opinion, but personally I wouldn't.

corect

how many times have we herd abuot refs cheking up on pleyers before games to see if they have any preveous.

pleyer then gets eyebaled thru the game and bad points get tallied in refs mind.

incedent happens and pleyers suround ref making his decesion dead easy. its not abuot the ofence but abuot whats been building in refs mind. how many times have we herd or seen a ref 'equaling a game up' because of a poor sending of in a game. we have all sat in the stands just waiting for the inevetable to hapen with the coment - 'saw that coming'

Out of pure curiosity did anyone notice what looked like a bit of a dangerous lunge by i think McCloud at around the 30 minute mark? Think it was a loose 50-50 ball and i think that was with Morsy?

It's not been talked about or turned up in any of the clips so maybe it wasn't that bad but watching it live i thought the Brentford player got away with that.

I was at FA Vase game this afternoon & in the clubhouse before the game the Championship highlights were on.

As the the game was in oxfordshire I think it’s pretty safe to say those watching it were neither Brentford or Latics supporters. I thought it was interesting amongst these neutrals that when the Morsy challenge was shown the reaction of all those watching was that it was a sending off offence, as did the Chelsea fan I was with

Also worth noting that it was posted on reddit to a forum of predominantly premier league fans, all neutrals, about 40 people commented and every single one of them said it was a ridiculous decision and never a red

Behind the goal with a clear view my immediate reaction the second it happened was red card. So I don’t blame the referee at all even if it turns out it wasn’t a red on the replay. He doesn’t have the luxury of VAR and no doubt had the same instinct as the vast majority in the crowd in real time of the incident taking place.

It also doesn’t bother me as quite frankly, we could have had 12 men and Brentford still would have beaten us comfortably.

Of our s supports are 50/50 then really you can't blame the ref and with Sam's record it isn't worth the risk of an appeal. As for me he led with the arm primarily to protect himsef, but followed through with his head a little heavier than he

Another game were our goalie was man of the match which says all. consistency is what we are lacking and that is down to injuries and a lack of discipline. We don't have the strength in depth to push for play off places. Whether we have enough to avoid a relegation battle remains to be seen.

If that stupid challenge by Sam had have been by an opposition player we would all have screamed for a red.
Bollock him, fine him a month's wage and then get on with it.
If someone filling his place plays well then make him earn his place back in the side.

Some harsh comments re Sam on here.

Whilst it wasn't a red in my opinion I acknowledge it was an incident that has polarised opinion.

However if the club feel it wasn't a red what has his disciplinary record got to do with deciding whether or not to appeal it? Each case is judged on its merit.

Fine him a months wage? On what basis? For making a split second decision to challenge for a loose ball. Isn't that his job, his role in the team?

Let's put it in context, it wasn't in the same league of ridiculous red we saw last season - Evans head butting a player because he was tripped, Dunkley swinging a right hook because he was pulled back, Colclough abusing an official. Morsy is our captain, his role in the team is vital and I'm guessing under appreciated by some. Whilst he's been a little off the pace so far he'll be missed in the upcoming fixtures though an enforced absence may actually benefit him.

Interesting that the club are appealing the red card. Cook wasn't happy with histrionics from the Brentford players and says Morsy never elbowed the player. I'm guessing they've viewed the different angles so that is correct. Never a red for me, whether there is anything conclusive to overturn the decision however we'll have to wait and see.

I have previously given my views on the incident. I feel that it will be a waste of time to appeal the decision as the panel will back the referee in most 50/50 cases and as can be seen from the reaction on here it is certainly 50/50. I feel Samy is unlucky but that's football.

I'm suprised we are appealing and I'd be stunned if they overturned it. I've heard of other players given extra games for being deemed to appeal disengeously - i'd be concerned about that.

The more i watch it the more i'm convinced it's a red, the Brentford players were acting up but i do think Morsy caught him - and possibly went in harder than needed. But as others have said the fact so many people watching the same incident multiple times and there is polar opposite views of it shows how hard a call this one was for the ref seeing it in real time.

KDZ, how could this appeal be even remotely considered as disingenuous? The "incident" was neither malicious, nor premeditated. It was a straightforward 50-50 challenge for the ball, but given that it was head to head, the collision understandably resulted n some concern from the Ref. If PK's account of Gibson's chat with the Ref is correct, then the use (if any) of a forearm by Morsy isn't even worthy of consideration.

To criticise the Club for appealing against what many feel to be a completely unjustified card is surely unfair too. Don't you think the club are well aware of the "success rate" of appeals? As for suggesting that a harsher penalty might be the result, I know that's occasionally been the case, but let's be honest, this is no way a frivolous appeal ......... it's bang on the money.

For every person who's watched it a number of times and convinced themselves that a red was correct, there'll be an equivalent number who are now convinced that it was completely unjustified.

That said, I too doubt we'll win .................. which will be a travesty.

Given it's polarised opinion I can't see how an appeal could be considered disingenuous leading to an extra game ban. No way that will happen.

I'm guessing there is additional camera footage available that would have been assessed prior to the club making the decision to appeal, plus the officials reports which we aren't privy too. I'm not 100% on the process but I would assume we (the club) puts forward its arguments (the opponent was pushed forward by Connolly putting him off balance and causing him to go toward Morsy at speed, Morsy was not out of control, didn't come from distance, or speed, didn't elbow him, arms in a natural position for that type of challenge etc)

The more I've looked at it and assessed it, the more I'm convinced it wasn't even a foul. It was a collision between two players competing for a bouncing ball, made worse by the brentford player being pushed toward him by Connolly who committed the only foul in the incident. Whether the review panel takes time to consider the whole incident and causation factors remains to be seen. Given it's little wigan I very much doubt it.