Terror Attacks | Page 21 | Vital Football

Terror Attacks

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 15/2/2018 17:10

Why is it so hard to see they've got it wrong? Nowhere else in the world does this happen. Nowhere.

:21: :21: :21: :21:

Even if they could acknowledge what the problem is, even if those devout Christians could accept the word of Jesus and turn away from violence, they would still have 300m guns floating around in their country.

The sad fact is that it's too late to prevent these tragedies from happening. School shootings once a week are the price they have to pay for 'freedom'.

BodyButter - 15/2/2018 09:58

School shootings once a week are the price they have to pay for 'freedom'.

I think the price has gone up since the start of the year, BB.

A reported shooting at a South Florida high school on Wednesday marks the country’s 18th school shooting of 2018, just 45 days into the year.

That’s an average of one school shooting every 60 hours thus far in 2018, more than double the number of school shootings recorded in any of the previous three years in that same period. Those numbers are according to data compiled by the gun control advocacy organization Everytown for Gun Safety, which defines a school shooting as any time a firearm is discharged on or around a campus.

https://goo.gl/97Q8j8

What's the answer then BB, do nothing? I don't think anyone underestimates the size of the problem, when an oil tanker has to turn around they have to plan it 10s of km in advance and once they start the initial effects are barely noticable but eventually the ship turns and heads on its new course. This is how we need to look at this problem, planing and consistent implication with the effect being measured in decades not weeks, months and years.

I know, BB, but you have to start somewhere. This is the same Assault Rifle used in Vegas, and a couple of other attacks. If a bump stock was fitted, again, then that is an easy thing to ban.

This is 8 this year. If these had been committed by ISIS, Trump would be apoplectic.

Nobody needs more than a pistol for self defence, so that's the line you draw, and work from there. You never know, a few generations down the line things might get better.

"It's my right" is the only reason they currently need.

This right to bear arms crap annoys me. Written into the constitution 250 years ago as a means of equipping a standing protective militia, and they’re still clinging to it as a fundamental right.

and then after these massacres they say they have the right to hold arms and end it 'God bless'

Baffling

The foundation of American society is that everyone is responsible for themselves. If you work hard, you can succeed in America. Part of that is the wild west philosophy of defending yourself and your property from invaders.

To change their gun laws, you'd have to change their national identity.

Our moralizing over their right to bare arms doesn't change the reality that this problem is a uniquely American problem because of their society.

When the Tories preach self sufficiency, this is what they really mean; dog eat dog violence.

The solution is clear. Change the clause in the constitution from ‘the right to bear arms’ to ‘the right to arm bears. Now that’s progressive.

BodyButter - 16/2/2018 02:23

The foundation of American society is that everyone is responsible for themselves. If you work hard, you can succeed in America. Part of that is the wild west philosophy of defending yourself and your property from invaders.

To change their gun laws, you'd have to change their national identity.

Our moralizing over their right to bare arms doesn't change the reality that this problem is a uniquely American problem because of their society.

When the Tories preach self sufficiency, this is what they really mean; dog eat dog violence.

That's like saying that Jews should live by the rules of the Torah, even though society has changed since it was written.

Oh, wait. Yeah, just ignore me.

:56: :56: :56: :56:

There seems to be a form of cognitive dissonance about those who abhor events like these (like all right minded people) but who then insist that stricter gun control cannot be a part of the solution.

BBJ - 17/2/2018 08:55

There seems to be a form of cognitive dissonance about those who abhor events like these (like all right minded people) but who then insist that stricter gun control cannot be a part of the solution.

I assume that it's only the gun lobby that doesn't want stricter gun control.

Maybe gun collectors want to be able to buy and sell guns at markets? I don't know if private individuals would have the ability to do a background check.

I have an old mate from Tennessee who has 41 guns in his house. Most of them are collectors items. He'd argue that just because a few people can't act responsibly, the majority shouldn't be punished.

Then again, he is a real southern Christian so he'd probably advocate for the banning of alcohol and gambling.

This is an interesting read. Steve Kerr, coach of NBA side Golden State Warriors, has launched an attack on US politicians following the shootings;

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/florida-shooting-golden-state-warriors-100100193.html

It is amazing that a 16 or 17 year old can buy high velocity fire arms in the USA, but has to wait until he is 21 years old to buy alcohol...... something seriously amiss there.

Students and teachers planning a country wide mass walkout from schools in protest of nothing being done about gun legislation.

I don't know if it's a one day thing, as I've seen other reports saying they won't return until something has changed. I would most certainly agree with the latter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/17/students-teachers-planning-nationwide-walkout-protest-gun-control-inaction-students-fed-up-they-plan/348752002/

Stephen Jay Hawkings - 19/2/2018 04:53

Students and teachers planning a country wide mass walkout from schools in protest of nothing being done about gun legislation.

I don't know if it's a one day thing, as I've seen other reports saying they won't return until something has changed. I would most certainly agree with the latter.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/02/17/students-teachers-planning-nationwide-walkout-protest-gun-control-inaction-students-fed-up-they-plan/348752002/

That's a great idea. It forces Congress into action. I'd be sceptical about the effectiveness of the action but I certainly wouldn't want to be a teacher in a US school wondering if it's my turn today.