Sweden V England World Cup QF | Vital Football

Sweden V England World Cup QF

England World Cup 2018 news LIVE: Harry Kane injury latest ahead of Sweden quarter-final clash

In Pictures | England's Fifa World Cup 2018
englanccomp2906a.jpg

garethsouthgate0507a.jpg

englandcolombia0407.jpg

2018-07-03T205507Z-1203811978-RC186A395100-RTRMADP-3-SOCCER-WORLDCUP-COL-ENG.JPG

Live Updates

20 minutes ago
England are hopeful of being able to select the same line-up that started against Colombia when they face Sweden in Samara on Saturday, writes James Olley.

Several players were assessed during a closed training session at the team’s training base in Repino this morning but it is understood Jamie Vardy is the only major fitness doubt.

Vardy came on as an 88th-minute substitute in Moscow but did not take a penalty in Tuesday’s shoot-out win after injuring his groin.

26a255da-8405-4390-b881-58f475c8b055.jpg
Photo: Getty

The Leicester City striker had an injection in his groin immediately after the game to treat the problem and is still being monitored.

In any case, coach Gareth Southgate is keen to persevere with the players who have predominantly helped England advance to their first World Cup quarter-final in 12 years.

Ashley Young took a kick to his ankle but it is not thought to be serious, while several other players including Harry Kane and Kyle Walker suffered cramp towards the end of the game. Walker was repalced by Marcus Rashford during extra-time as a result.

Dele Alli was taken off with nine minutes of normal time remaining in a tactical change for Eric Dier and was therefore spared the worst possible strain on his body, having only just returned to full fitness following a thigh injury. “We felt it was probably a good time to try to solidify a little bit and with hindsight it was probably a good thing that he didn’t go to extra-time because that would have put him at a bit more risk,” said Southgate.

Kane is believed to have declared himself fit and while Rose is on standby to replace Young, Southgate wants to ensure there is minimal disruption to the team given a quick turnaround ahead of the last-eight showdown .

141db407-2607-47cb-b1ee-062f29c05fae.jpg
Photo: AP

Rashford would be the preferred alternate forward option should Vardy not prove his fitness in time, with Danny Welbeck also available.

Sweden have injury concerns of their own, with midfield duo Albin Ekdal and Jimmy Durmaz absent from Wednesday's training session.

Ekdal was confined to gym work before undergoing X-rays on a foot problem, while Durmaz is struggling with a hip complaint. England will hold one further training session in Repino tomorrow before flying to Samara.

In the city, temperatures are expected to hit 30C — around 10 degrees warmer than it has been at the team’s base this week, which has also seen regular rain showers.

Southgate believes England’s extra-time exertions only further vindicate his decision to rest eight players for their final group game against Belgium, when England were beaten 1-0 to finish second.

“I’m pleased we did what we did in the Belgium game even more because it’s an accumulation of fatigue making things more difficult,” he said.

“But now we have a chance to reassess and it will be a tough game. Because Sweden are often underestimated and I have real respect for Sweden.”

45 minutes ago
Millionaire supermarket boss Bjorn Kuipers will referee England’s World Cup quarter-final against Sweden on Saturday.

The Dutchman, who dished out a stern lecture to Brazil superstar Neymar during the group match against Costa Rica, runs a chain of shops in his native Holland and his personal wealth was estimated at £11million in 2016.

90afefd3-a6c9-4e7c-8f8f-846bf3beda73.jpg
Photo: Reuters

England will hope for better luck with Kuipers — the last time they came across him at a World Cup, they ended up losing 2-1 against Italy at Brazil 2014.

As well as taking charge of that game, Kuipers also oversaw Spain’s penalty shoot-out defeat by hosts Russia in the last 16, and Uruguay’s 1-0 win over Egypt on the second day of the tournament.

Four England players - Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Jesse Lingard, Kyle Walker and Jordan Henderson - would miss an eventual semi-final if they were to pick up a booking against the Swedes.

1 hour ago
Eric Dier believes England’s win against Colombia has made up for their embarrassing Euro 2016 exit to Iceland, writes Simon Johnson.

The Spurs midfielder, who scored the decisive spot-kick in Tuesday’s penalty shootout, is one of 11 members in England’s World Cup squad who were part of the group knocked out at the last-16 stage two years ago.

That setback in Nice saw the players subjected to a huge amount of criticism, while manager Roy Hodgson left after four years at the helm.
But Dier feels this team have succeeded in turning around the nation’s feelings toward the side.

a189b2dc-0582-4588-a6cb-43c694937056.jpg
Photo: Reuters

“The Colombia game was a massive milestone for us as a group,” he said. “We hadn’t won a knockout game for so long. A lot of us were in the squad that lost to Iceland and we have now put that behind us.

“I remember saying after the Iceland game that the only way we can move forward from it and get back in everyone’s good books is at the World Cup, so the Colombia game was huge. To win it on penalties, which has been a problem for us in the past, was even better.”

A peak audience of 24.4m watched the drama unfold as England responded to the setback of conceding a last-minute equaliser to win their first-ever World Cup penalty shootout.

Dier became the hero after converting his spot-kick to set up a quarter final tie with Sweden on Saturday, but he insists manager Gareth Southgate was a huge factor in the triumph.

“The manager deserves a lot of credit because he’s been preparing us for all different states of the game, for us to be in the best possible mental state for whatever may come,” he said.

“In the Colombia match, there were lots of periods where lots of different things were happening and it was important we kept our heads. When they scored in the 93rd minute, the key was not to panic, not try to throw everything at them in those dying seconds. We stayed calm.

“We knew we had extra time, we had another 30 minutes. If it had to go to penalties, so be it. That was the key thing from the manager: to never lose faith in what we have planned from the moment we met up, the way we want to play and win games. That’s what we did. The same thing happened in the Tunisia game when we scored late on (to win 2-1). We didn’t panic then, either.

“We have made a little bit of history but there is a lot more out there that we want to go and grab.”

This should be a good match against a solid Sweden team...unlike the disgraceful crap that most of the Colombian players forced upon us.

I predicted a loss to Colombia, I now fancy us as we've broke the voodoo, so we will probably lose now haha

2-0 England, Kane 2

As a frequent home and away England supporter for quite some years, my logic for the tournament was the following

1) Russia bought the WC from Sepp Blagger so why would I give them any of my money?
2) Tear gassed in Marseille whilst having my first pint, then experiencing the naughty stuff in the city the night before the England vs Russia game, why would I take the risk? Too old for this shit.
3) However, I'm an England fan and won't miss out just because FIFA and Russia are corrupt. I will go if we get to the semi or final, but no game before.

So here we are. Come Saturday evening, we will be out to Sweden or I will be booking my flights to Moscow for a potential game against Croatia or Russia :-)

As it goes, I can't wait. I'll happily get on that plane and watch us in a semi-final against Croatia or Russia. Bring it on !!!

Sweden will play a back 10 so let's hope Deli is fit enough to thread a few clever passes through.
I would imagine Sterling will do his usual of just running into trouble as there will be no space to go into, and he will spearhead the attack while Harry continues as DM.:shake:

Hopefully we'll get plenty of corners and a pen.

Alli or Sterling have it in them to open Sweden up although they havnt been great so far. Rashford may be a better option for Sterling but either could produce. We need to probe down the wings to stretch their defence IMO.

If we are resting our hopes on Deli and Sterling, we are in trouble. I wouldn’t start either. Deli has had an absolute horrible tourney so far,maybe carrying a knock,who knows with him. Sterling is ...just averageand simply doesn’t pair well with Kane in my opinion.

I think England should start Rashford next to Kane and replace Deli with another option. I know this won’t happen...but I think Henderson is a liability as well...so with both him and Deli in the midfield we have been degraded.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is it, Today it’s hair or bust. If our Spurs players Dare and Do we will prevail.

I guess what you mean by that relates to Spurs offensive players, I would agree in part if it was only Kane you are referring to. I don’t think Alli has been anywhere near good enough to ‘Do what he dares’.

I get sticking with the dudes that got you here...but damn Sterling has done nothing and I actually think he disrupts our attack, Deli is a Spur and I hope he shows up huge today because he has done nothing all tourney, and Young has been just average.

I would have went with Rashford next to Kane at a minimum for changes.